Will this work

Hear Clifford Brown

Will this work
« on: 31 Jan 2014, 05:07 pm »
I ripped my music with iTunes on my Mac, files are stored on an OWC external 1 TB drive.  The drive came formatted for Macs.  Can I use that drive with a BDP-1 or 2?  From what I've read it won't work because it is not formatted in FAT32.  I assume that if I re-format the drive to FAT32 with the Mac's disk utility, all the ripped files will be lost.

Heard a friend's system that I'm pretty familiar with and the improvement with his recently acquired BDP-1 has perked my interest.  I'm currently using a Modwright Transporter.  I'd like to have my friend bring his BDP-1 over here to compare.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Will this work
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2014, 05:26 pm »
I ripped my music with iTunes on my Mac, files are stored on an OWC external 1 TB drive.  The drive came formatted for Macs.  Can I use that drive with a BDP-1 or 2?  From what I've read it won't work because it is not formatted in FAT32.  I assume that if I re-format the drive to FAT32 with the Mac's disk utility, all the ripped files will be lost.

Heard a friend's system that I'm pretty familiar with and the improvement with his recently acquired BDP-1 has perked my interest.  I'm currently using a Modwright Transporter.  I'd like to have my friend bring his BDP-1 over here to compare.

Hi Cliff

Correct the drive must be formatted FAT 32 or NTFS.  Easiest way is to copy the files off the current disc reformat the current disk and then reload it.

james

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2014, 08:48 pm »
Thanks James for the quick response.  The Bryston customer service is legendary and I see why.  Anyway, that clears my question up nicely, and is easy to do since everything is backed up on time machine and also on a WD network connected drive.

Will the file structure the way iTunes does it be okay?

Jeff

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2014, 09:47 pm »
Thanks James for the quick response.  The Bryston customer service is legendary and I see why.  Anyway, that clears my question up nicely, and is easy to do since everything is backed up on time machine and also on a WD network connected drive.

Will the file structure the way iTunes does it be okay?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I am not a MAC guy but I have not heard of any issues.

james