BRYStON BDA-1

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #160 on: 29 Dec 2008, 04:54 pm »
Is there anyway to create your own HiRes files?  Mr. Tanner sent me a good list of sites, but it was 99% artist I have never heard of.  Also, I'm struggling with finding a way to play the content at the downloaded resolution.  I was contemplating getting an external sound card for my laptop and download to that.  Is all HiRes content SACD rips?  Why not just get a decent SACD?  Any ideas are greatly appreciatied.

KeithA

« Reply #161 on: 31 Dec 2008, 06:04 pm »
My BDA-1 showed up today.......I guess I'll fire it up tonight :D

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #162 on: 31 Dec 2008, 07:25 pm »
Is there anyway to create your own HiRes files?  Mr. Tanner sent me a good list of sites, but it was 99% artist I have never heard of.  Also, I'm struggling with finding a way to play the content at the downloaded resolution.  I was contemplating getting an external sound card for my laptop and download to that.  Is all HiRes content SACD rips?  Why not just get a decent SACD?  Any ideas are greatly appreciatied.

Hi D,

At this point Hi-res usually refers to content at 96KHz/24Bit and above (192/24).  The only source at this point I am aware of is downloaded music off the internet and some specialty DVD's.

You can not 'make your own hi-res' from current CD's etc.

james

KeithA

« Reply #163 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:30 pm »
James

From my read of the manual......when upsampling is engaged, the 8-bank LEDs should reflect te rate, correct?

For example, when I engage the 'upsample' button, the LED over the button is orange....but the 8-bank indicator should be showing 176k (my source is 44.1k), correct? Mine still shows 44.1K.

I'm not sure the upsampling feature is working properly on the BDA-1 I just got....or am I wrong here?

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #164 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:54 pm »
James

From my read of the manual......when upsampling is engaged, the 8-bank LEDs should reflect te rate, correct?

For example, when I engage the 'upsample' button, the LED over the button is orange....but the 8-bank indicator should be showing 176k (my source is 44.1k), correct? Mine still shows 44.1K.

I'm not sure the upsampling feature is working properly on the BDA-1 I just got....or am I wrong here?

Keith

Hi Keith,

All is correct.

The sample rate is what is coming in not what is going out.
It will upsample to the highest rate if the upsample is engaged.

UPSAMPLING
After the input stage, the signal goes to the SYNCHRONOUS upsampling circuit (sample rate
converter). This circuit converts the digital signal from one sample rate and bit depth to another. In the BDA-1, the sample rate is increased from the input sample frequency (32K, 48K, or 96K upsamples to 192K and 44.1K or 88.2K upsamples to 176.4K).

james

KeithA

« Reply #165 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:02 pm »
James

Keith

Hi Keith,

All is correct.

UPSAMPLING
After the input stage, the signal goes to the
SYNCHRONOUS upsampling circuit (sample rate
converter). This circuit converts the digital signal from one
sample rate and bit depth to another. In the BDA-1, the
sample rate is increased from the input sample frequency
(32K, 48K, or 96K upsamples to 192K and 44.1K or
88.2K upsamples to 176.4K).

james

OK...but you might want to address Point #2 in the manual since what it says should be happening is not what's happening (from what I can tell).

The manual seems to indicate that the 176.4k LED would light red when upsampling as it points back to Point #1 about the 8-bank array.

Keith

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #166 on: 31 Dec 2008, 09:38 pm »
I really wanted to see my BDA handle some hi-res content, but I've spent a couple unsuccessful days trying to make this happen.  I don't have anything in the house that will output greater than 48 (laptop).  I really wanted to see those other lights come on.  :)  I will say that the dac is amazing.  I bought a SACD player over the weekend and played it along with the BDA-1.  I just got back from the store returning the SACD player.

I do wish someone could tell me how to get 96 or 192 content to play.  I get the computer file part, but the hardware requirements and connections are eluding me.  Will M-Audio sound card using USB connection to the BDA work?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #167 on: 31 Dec 2008, 10:40 pm »
James

Keith

Hi Keith,

All is correct.

UPSAMPLING
After the input stage, the signal goes to the
SYNCHRONOUS upsampling circuit (sample rate
converter). This circuit converts the digital signal from one
sample rate and bit depth to another. In the BDA-1, the
sample rate is increased from the input sample frequency
(32K, 48K, or 96K upsamples to 192K and 44.1K or
88.2K upsamples to 176.4K).

james

OK...but you might want to address Point #2 in the manual since what it says should be happening is not what's happening (from what I can tell).

The manual seems to indicate that the 176.4k LED would light red when upsampling as it points back to Point #1 about the 8-bank array.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes there's a typo there - it should say 'LED lights' not 'LED's light' (meaning the 'upsample' LED lights not the 'sample rate' LED. Thanks for catching that.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #168 on: 31 Dec 2008, 10:48 pm »
I really wanted to see my BDA handle some hi-res content, but I've spent a couple unsuccessful days trying to make this happen.  I don't have anything in the house that will output greater than 48 (laptop).  I really wanted to see those other lights come on.  :)  I will say that the dac is amazing.  I bought a SACD player over the weekend and played it along with the BDA-1.  I just got back from the store returning the SACD player.

I do wish someone could tell me how to get 96 or 192 content to play.  I get the computer file part, but the hardware requirements and connections are eluding me.  Will M-Audio sound card using USB connection to the BDA work?

Hi d,

No the USB is limited to 48/16 so you need to use any other input.  Usually the quality sound cards like M-Audio and Lynx will have SPDIF or AES/EBU digital outputs which will give you the full 192/24.

I will be using the BDA -1 and  prototype Music server at the Vegas show next week which we have loaded with some 96/24 and 192/24 cuts - I will let you know how it goes.

james

PS- glad your enjoying the Bryston DAC - I have had a fair number of customers call me and tell me how the regular Redbook CD's through the BDA-1 give the SACD players a run for their money.

bob stern

« Reply #169 on: 31 Dec 2008, 11:42 pm »
I will be using the BDA -1 and  prototype Music server at the Vegas show next week which we have loaded with some 96/24 and 192/24 cuts - I will let you know how it goes.

James, many of us would be very interested if you can suggest how to couple low jitter digital audio from a computer (preferably a compact computer such as a laptop or a Mac Mini) to a BDA-1.

So far, I've tried two methods, both of which are markedly inferior to my old Levinson 37 CD transport (via Stereovox BNC S/PDIF cable):

1. Toslink out from my Macbook Pro (via Wireworld Toslink cable).

2. S/PDIF out from a Logitech Squeezebox 3 (via the Stereovox S/PDIF cable).  I expected the Squeezebox to be a perfect solution because it has a 40 second (!) buffer that completely decouples its clock from the computer data transmission rate, but apparently its clock is not very stable.

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #170 on: 31 Dec 2008, 11:46 pm »
Definitely the cheap SACD players.  I took that Sony right back to Best Buy.  They asked me why I was bringing it back..."failure to accomplish the task for which it was purchased".  I'm sure there are SACD players that sound better.  They probably cost way more than my BDA-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #171 on: 31 Dec 2008, 11:51 pm »

James, many of us would be very interested if you can suggest how to couple low jitter digital audio from a computer (preferably a compact computer such as a laptop or a Mac Mini) to a BDA-1.

So far, I've tried two methods, both of which are markedly inferior to my old Levinson 37 CD transport (via Stereovox BNC S/PDIF cable):

1. Toslink out from my Macbook Pro (via Wireworld Toslink cable).

2. S/PDIF out from a Logitech Squeezebox 3 (via the Stereovox S/PDIF cable).  I expected the Squeezebox to be a perfect solution because it has a 40 second (!) buffer that completely decouples its clock from the computer data transmission rate, but apparently its clock is not very stable.

Hi Bob,

The BDA-1 'reclocks and resamples' the incoming digital signal so the clock jitter in the source should not present a problem.

james

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #172 on: 31 Dec 2008, 11:53 pm »
Bob, I'm sorry to hear that about the Squeezebox.  I was planning to purchase one.  Maybe the Transporter is better.  I hope you're able to get James to tell.  I've asked him that question about 4 times over the last week.  He must still be in the "evaluation" phase.

KeithA

« Reply #173 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:03 am »
Bob, I'm sorry to hear that about the Squeezebox.  I was planning to purchase one.  Maybe the Transporter is better.  I hope you're able to get James to tell.  I've asked him that question about 4 times over the last week.  He must still be in the "evaluation" phase.

Guys

I have a Duet and a Squeezebox Classic. I've been running the Duet into the BDA-1 all afternoon. I'd be careful about reading too much into the 'specs' of clocks, etc.

I looked at the Transporter myself, but since I didn't need the internal DAC, it's not worth the extra $$$ IMHO. As well, I knew with the reclocking in the BDA-1 it was a non-issue.

IMHO....get a $399 Squeezebox Duet, hook it into the BDA-1 and enjoy the music :thumb: If I ever want to get a little silly, I'll order one of the 'after-market' power supplies for the Duet.......IF I GET SILLY, THAT IS!

Keith

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #174 on: 1 Jan 2009, 12:09 am »
Thanks.  It's so difficult to make these decision.  I have so many options, e.g. room correction, cabling, power filters, etc.  I WANT IT ALL NOW!!!  Of course, I'm married and the wife will never let me attain that level of happiness.   :nono:

phurbag

« Reply #175 on: 2 Jan 2009, 02:06 pm »
Hi james,

why is the USB input limited to 48/16 ? is it due to UBS 1.0 , could be be better with USB 2.0 ?  i tried a 96Khz / 24 bits linn file but unfortunately i noticed that the input led was set to 48K. 
I got a BDA-1 for testing during the christmas hollidays: I use an Audionet Art V2 integrated CD player (+BP26 + 4BSST). I noticed a wider soundtstage but the BDA is also also a little bit dryer compared to the audionet (may be due to different cables for XLR and RCA connection). The upsampling facility is for me clearly audible and contribute to the wider soundstage.
A many others I would like to use BDA-1 as a maily a way to play files with resolution higher than a CD : regarding the input connectors what are the different possible sources. 

Phurbag

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #176 on: 2 Jan 2009, 02:16 pm »
Hi james,

why is the USB input limited to 48/16 ? is it due to UBS 1.0 , could be be better with USB 2.0 ?  i tried a 96Khz / 24 bits linn file but unfortunately i noticed that the input led was set to 48K. 
I got a BDA-1 for testing during the christmas hollidays: I use an Audionet Art V2 integrated CD player (+BP26 + 4BSST). I noticed a wider soundtstage but the BDA is also also a little bit dryer compared to the audionet (may be due to different cables for XLR and RCA connection). The upsampling facility is for me clearly audible and contribute to the wider soundstage.
A many others I would like to use BDA-1 as a maily a way to play files with resolution higher than a CD : regarding the input connectors what are the different possible sources. 

Phurbag

Hi Phurbag,

Correct the USB is version 1 (48/16) and will be updated to version 2 once the new chips are available.
44.1K/16bit is CD quality so that is still the case with the USB input.

All the other inputs are 192/24 capable and most quality sound cards have COAX or AES/EBU outputs which will give you native 192/24.

The thing to remember here though is not to get too caught up in resolution bits -- as with our CD Player  -- the main advantage and the reason we are getting such kick-ass reviews on the CD Player and the DAC is because the digital stage is state of the art but so to is the Class A analog stages and power supply technology around the DAC's.

james
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2009, 06:59 pm by James Tanner »

NewBuyer

« Reply #177 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:06 pm »
...2. S/PDIF out from a Logitech Squeezebox 3 (via the Stereovox S/PDIF cable).  I expected the Squeezebox to be a perfect solution because it has a 40 second (!) buffer that completely decouples its clock from the computer data transmission rate, but apparently its clock is not very stable.

Hi Bob,

I'm wondering please, where did you hear the clock from the SB3 was not stable?  Did the info include how was it measured, and state what were the results?

You may wish to try the optical out from the SB3 as well, which depending on the DAC, some prefer over the coax out.

Sasha

« Reply #178 on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:16 am »
I share Bob’s experience.
Toslink is the worst of all, highest jitter on every single device I tried.
And while Squeezebox is indeed isolated from PC in every way simply due to the fact it is the Ethernet that is used to transfer blocks of data that are assembled into digital signal, the execution of Squeezebox, from power supply to clock, is very poor, and this clearly results in very high jitter on any digital output, SPDIF on Squeezebox is poor while Toslink is horrible.
There is no such thing as jitter immune DAC.
It is silly to even consider using Squeezebox as digital source into any but the cheapest DACs.

NewBuyer

« Reply #179 on: 4 Jan 2009, 08:27 am »
...consider using Squeezebox as digital source into any but the cheapest DACs.

Hi Sasha,

I am wondering what you consider by "cheapest"?

Also, do you have an SB3, and have you ever tried it as a source?  :?: