BRYStON BDA-1

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #120 on: 22 Nov 2008, 12:34 pm »
Hi James,

Jut wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying the Bryston BDA-1 DAC. 

I use it for two sources. One is from a transport and the other is from a Wadia iPod dock.  In both cases, it sounds fantastic.

I'm still experimenting with the upsampling feature. I definitely prefer it when upsampling from Apple lossless files. On regular cds it really depends upon the individual disc that I'm playing. Sometimes I prefer it, sometimes not.

Regards,

Richard
KEF

KEF the speaker company?

Yes

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #121 on: 22 Nov 2008, 03:19 pm »
Thanks.

carloscarr

« Reply #122 on: 23 Nov 2008, 12:50 am »
I wanted to add a few comments as another pleased (amazed) owner of a BDA-1. I have had it about a week, but knew from the first few minutes that it was a keeper. My previous DAC was a Lavry DA10, which is a very musical DAC and has bested Benchmark DAC1 and other DACs in its ~$1000 price range in several reviews I've seen. It was certainly a big step up in sound quality from what I had before, analog out from an M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard. But in comparison to the BDA-1, the DA10 sounded muddied. Perhaps my system (Magnepan speakers, Classe amps) needs a very transparent DAC like the BDA-1 to avoid this. All the faults in my system I had previously attributed to the speakers or amp, believing the opinion that a DAC is of relatively low importance and will not have a huge effect on SQ. But now these weaknesses are gone, transients are crisp and everything is more musical. I agree with a previous reviewer that the BDA-1 has "mad PRAT" (pace, rhythm, attack, timing). I especially notice this on jazz horns which previously seemed thin, but rock and other genres also benefit.
After trying the optical and USB out I feel the spdif coax out gives best sound, slightly better than optical and noticeably better than USB. I also leave the upsampling off at to me it reduces the transparency and clarity of the sound (some have commented that it adds a tubey effect). One post said the spdif BNC is superior to spdif coax, but I have not tried BNC yet. USB also has some problems with volume control that I don't have with spdif, I can believe what others have reported that USB out can send high volume surges of sound due to quirks in Windows. Even with spdif, I get slight crackling when the audio playback jumps to a new sampling rate file, which never occurred with the Lavry. It would be nice if the BDA-1 was available with a digital volume control. Since I run the DAC's balanced out directly to my amps, I now must use digital volume attenuation within the playback program (Foobar or Xmplay). I buffer the original 16-bit file to 24-bit, and I believe this means that the program can reduce the volume substantially without altering the 16 significant bits. WASAPI output is available in Foobar and Xmplay on Vista, and to me sounds very noticeably better than ASIO (either ASIO4ALL or with M-Audio drivers). I think the redesigned Vista audio stack has a lot of potential. I use spdif out from the onboard audio chip (Realtek AC889). Realtek has been one of the first good implementations of the new audio protocols in Vista, and using WASAPI, the onboard chip sounds indistinguishable to WASAPI out through a mid-range soundcard like M-Audio Audiophile. I think when Lynx and RME release WaveRT drivers that take advantage of Vista's potential, then the gap between digital out from the motherboard vs. a good soundcard will widen again.
In any case, the BDA-1 has improved my enjoyment of the system by a huge amount and is well worth the increase in cost over the ~$1000 DACs, which is saying something in hi-end audio's world of rapidly diminishing returns with increasing price.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #123 on: 24 Nov 2008, 11:39 pm »
I want to give a bump out to Karl Schuster who not only has been a terrific source of information on pc audio but he makes excellent IC's and Speaker Wire at very fair prices.  (Just read TAS's Golden Ear Awards for the past several years).  I am usually reluctant to recommend anything but I have been very pleased with Empirical Design's products and thought I should give credit where credit is due!

Hi Spritz57,

Thanks for the tip-- have some of Karl's cables on the way.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #124 on: 5 Dec 2008, 06:58 pm »
MEMO - Bryston Dealer Feedback
SUBJECT – New Bryston BDA-1 External DAC

December 2008

"James.

Yesterday marked the introduction of the BDA-1 External DAC to our sales floor.

Steve came in and did the "song & dance" very impressive. I came in early this morning to audition it for myself.

All I can say is WOW.

I listened to a wide variety of music from an i-pod all inputted at 320. This is simply an Outstanding piece. Congrats to all at Bryston and all the Best of the Season."

Richard Bowden
Director of Sales
Bay Bloor Radio

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #125 on: 11 Dec 2008, 11:12 am »
HI All,

Got this today from our distributor in the UK - seems the Brits like the BDA-1 as well.

"Theres a review coming out in HiFi Choice soon of the BDA-1 with it on the front cover!!!"

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #126 on: 11 Dec 2008, 09:02 pm »
I can't wait to read it.

KeithA

« Reply #127 on: 11 Dec 2008, 09:48 pm »
That's great.

I suspect my unit should be delivered soon if the 10 day lag time (or so) is still valid.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 11 Dec 2008, 10:37 pm »
That's great.

I suspect my unit should be delivered soon if the 10 day lag time (or so) is still valid.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes we are still running at about 10 days to 2 weeks on new orders.

james

KeithA

« Reply #129 on: 11 Dec 2008, 10:41 pm »
That's great.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Yes we are still running at about 10 days to 2 weeks on new orders.

james

Great. I'm in no rush....it shows up when it shows up!

Keith

bob stern

Phase toggle
« Reply #130 on: 18 Dec 2008, 12:07 pm »
Does the Phase button on a Bryston remote work with the BDA-1, or is it only for the BP-26?

If the BDA-1 currently lacks this feature, I hope you'll consider adding it.  If you do, is it likely to be firmware-upgradeable to existing units?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Phase toggle
« Reply #131 on: 18 Dec 2008, 01:25 pm »
Does the Phase button on a Bryston remote work with the BDA-1, or is it only for the BP-26?

If the BDA-1 currently lacks this feature, I hope you'll consider adding it.  If you do, is it likely to be firmware-upgradeable to existing units?

Hi Bob,

Currently the Absolute Phase Inversion only works with the BP26.
Not sure if it can be added to the BDA-1 or not - I will ask.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #132 on: 18 Dec 2008, 02:55 pm »
James,

my Logitech remote allows me to reduce or raise the volume of the BDA-1 from 0db to -3db. and it works! i wonder why the BR-2 doesn't
offer this feature?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #133 on: 18 Dec 2008, 05:46 pm »
James,

my Logitech remote allows me to reduce or raise the volume of the BDA-1 from 0db to -3db. and it works! i wonder why the BR-2 doesn't
offer this feature?

al.

Hi Alex,

Because when you reduce the volume in the digital domain you lose resolution.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #134 on: 18 Dec 2008, 07:12 pm »
MEMO - Bryston Customer Feedback
SUBJECT – Bryston BDA-1 External DAC

Hi All,

As you know we send out new products to be reviewed by various magazines and reviewers to expose new products to the marketplace.  The greatest honour to Bryston is when the reviewer is so taken with the product that they procure one for themselves. I thought you might find the email below which I received today interesting from one of the premium Hi-Fi magazines and reviewers in Canada on our new BDA-1 external DAC.

Hi James,

The Bryston BDA-1 technical bench test is super positive. There will be a very extensive review with nice hi-res images in our upcoming issue.

I am now using the BDA-1 to review the Thiel CS3.7 loudspeakers, and the BDA-1 is a marvelous DAC.

I am very happy to have Bryston BDA-1 in Son & Image Magazine official listening room.

Best,
Michel Leroux
Publisher & Chief Editor
Son & Image Magazine

alexone

« Reply #135 on: 18 Dec 2008, 11:54 pm »
James,

offer this feature?

al.

Hi Alex,

james

James,

i know about the resolution loss. i am just wondering why the Logitech database download for the BDA-1
includes this special feature. your statement is and has always been that Bryston would not offer a volume control for the BDA-1.
where is Logitech's (volume) solution coming from...???

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #136 on: 19 Dec 2008, 12:34 am »
James,

offer this feature?

al.

Hi Alex,

james

James,

i know about the resolution loss. i am just wondering why the Logitech database download for the BDA-1
includes this special feature. your statement is and has always been that Bryston would not offer a volume control for the BDA-1.

al.

Hi Al,

You got me! I have no idea?

james

alexone

« Reply #137 on: 19 Dec 2008, 08:05 am »
James,

offer this feature?

al.

Hi Alex,

james

James,

al.

Hi Al,

james

...then send out your spies, James! 8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #138 on: 19 Dec 2008, 02:50 pm »
James,

offer this feature?

al.

Hi Alex,

james

James,

al.

Hi Al,

james

Hi Al,

OK - I spoke to my spies and they have set me straight!

The minus 3dB controls the 'OUTPUT LEVEL' and is only suppose to be set once depending on the total 'GAIN' you want in the system.  It is NOT meant to be adjusted as you listen.

So the minus 3dB is available as a CODE on our remote but there are no buttons to adjust it on the fly for the reasons above.

james
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2008, 12:35 pm by James Tanner »

alexone

« Reply #139 on: 19 Dec 2008, 05:35 pm »
James,

offer this feature?

al.

Hi Alex,

james

James,

al.

Hi Al,

james

Hi Al,

OK - I spoke to my spies and they have set me straight!

The plus or minus 3dB controls the 'OUTPUT LEVEL' and is only suppose to be set once depending on the total 'GAIN' you want in the system.  It is NOT meant to be adjusted as you listen.

So the plus or minus 3dB is available as a CODE on our remote but there are no buttons to adjust it on the fly for the reasons above.

james

ok, James. i understand.

say hi to your spies and let 'em know that the Bryston-underdogs are still watching the scene... :wink:

al.