BRYStON BDA-1

BaraBara

Re: BRYStON BDA-1
« Reply #100 on: 12 Nov 2008, 11:41 pm »
Thanks for your answer.

James, I will check the ground loop with nothing plugged and tell you.

Regarding the vibration issue, I was just asking if anyone has controlled it with this component and found audible differences.

From a very nice Glen Carol's paper about vibration (he doesn't mention gerbils  :wink:):

"Two major types of vibration will occupy our discussions. These vibrations reach our equipment via two distinctly different paths, hence their names: structure borne and air borne vibration. Structure borne vibrations enter through the shelf or platform upon which the component rests. Airborne vibrations are the results of fluctuating air currents produced by the loudspeakers, which vibrate the enclosure of the component."

BaraBara

« Reply #101 on: 13 Nov 2008, 03:40 am »
The ground loop still there with no sources plugged in. I should have guessed that, both the Sonos and the DVD lack ground pins, so there are only two components grounded, the Ampli and the DAC (when I don't have the CD player plugged to the AC). BTW, I get the hum even if the BDA is in stand-by, it sounds as soon as I turn on the amplifier. I don't have this problem with the CDP (and this one does have a ground pin).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #102 on: 13 Nov 2008, 11:45 am »
The ground loop still there with no sources plugged in. I should have guessed that, both the Sonos and the DVD lack ground pins, so there are only two components grounded, the Ampli and the DAC (when I don't have the CD player plugged to the AC). BTW, I get the hum even if the BDA is in stand-by, it sounds as soon as I turn on the amplifier. I don't have this problem with the CDP (and this one does have a ground pin).

Hi BaraBara,

OK thanks- It definitely sounds like a ground loop. Ideally you only want 1 ground in the system.

james

BaraBara

« Reply #103 on: 13 Nov 2008, 01:38 pm »
Thanks for your answer James. So, I understand that it's OK to use a cable with no ground for the BDA-1, as long as the amplifier is grounded. I just think it's better to ground the amplifier (instead of the DAC), as this is the "largest" unit in the system (larger transformers, higher current, larger caps, etc.).

If anyone has experience trying different cables (digital and IC) with the BDA-1 I would really apprecite your comments.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 13 Nov 2008, 01:46 pm »
Thanks for your answer James. So, I understand that it's OK to use a cable with no ground for the BDA-1, as long as the amplifier is grounded. I just think it's better to ground the amplifier (instead of the DAC), as this is the "largest" unit in the system (larger transformers, higher current, larger caps, etc.).

If anyone has experience trying different cables (digital and IC) with the BDA-1 I would really apprecite your comments.

Hi,

Yes I tend to agree leave the amplifier grounded.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #105 on: 13 Nov 2008, 07:49 pm »
I do the same. It works very well. I have cheater plugs on everything else that has 3 prongs.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 13 Nov 2008, 07:58 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Nice Feedback on our BDA-1 from a Fellow Cable Manufacturer -http://www.empiricaldesign.net/

November 2008

"James   

My BDA-1 external DAC arrived last Wednesday. I still have much experimentation to do, but as it warms up it just keeps getting better and better.

I've only tried it using my computer as a source thus far and using the S/PDIF output of my Echo Gina3G audio interface, using Foobar 2000 to play the music, via either Kernel Streaming or ASIO. I'll be experimenting with some other sound cards as well.

As expected, the BNC inputs sound better than the RCA inputs. I'll check the TosLink connection this weekend, but I expect that it won't sound as good as the coax, since it never does.

Regardless of the fine-tuning minutiae, the net improvement with the BDA-1 is simply staggering -- in another league entirely from the analog output of the inexpensive Echo box and the Marantz DV-9600 universal player. Most frustratingly, it is now patently clear that I'm going to have to upgrade my SACD player to keep up!

Have a good day."

Karl Schuster
President
Empirical Design
2579 John Milton Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2008, 10:41 am by James Tanner »

BaraBara

« Reply #107 on: 14 Nov 2008, 02:02 pm »
Great feedback! Please post any additional information you get from him. It would be great to hear his opinion about S/PDIF vs. USB.

It's a pity I don't have balanced inputs in my amplifier (as I'm looking to upgrade my ICs), do you think you would preserve any potential advantages of the balanced cables using an XLR-RCA adapter on the amplifier side? (I mean is the Balanced Cable + Adapter better than the same cable with RCAs on both sides). This would be for a short run (0.5 to 1m).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:20 pm »
Great feedback! Please post any additional information you get from him. It would be great to hear his opinion about S/PDIF vs. USB.

It's a pity I don't have balanced inputs in my amplifier (as I'm looking to upgrade my ICs), do you think you would preserve any potential advantages of the balanced cables using an XLR-RCA adapter on the amplifier side? (I mean is the Balanced Cable + Adapter better than the same cable with RCAs on both sides). This would be for a short run (0.5 to 1m).

Hi,

No Advantage - the sending and the receiving end of the cable has to have Fully Differential Balanced circuits.

james

KeithA

« Reply #109 on: 15 Nov 2008, 08:43 pm »
Ahhh...now that Winter is upon us again....time to start listening to the stereo again 8)

I guess it's time to get one of these fan-dangled BDA-1s :thumb: I guess I'll place an order on Monday or Tuesday.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #110 on: 16 Nov 2008, 03:10 pm »
Ahhh...now that Winter is upon us again....time to start listening to the stereo again 8)

I guess it's time to get one of these fan-dangled BDA-1s :thumb: I guess I'll place an order on Monday or Tuesday.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Welcome back sir.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 16 Nov 2008, 05:58 pm »
Hi All,

Got this today from our Distributor.
If anyone speaks Hungarian I can email you the complete PDF Review:

"Dear James,

Attached please find fantastic review on BDA-1 in Hungarian stereo magazine “Sztereo”. I will receive few sentence translated and will send you.

Review was just on time as we also have HiFi show in Budapest next weekend.

Best regards
edvard"

KeithA

« Reply #112 on: 16 Nov 2008, 09:49 pm »

Keith

Hey Keith,

Welcome back sir.

james

Thanks James

I guess it's time to get the BDA-1 I deferred in March/April of this year. I'm also just getting around to assembling my long-anticipated small living room system (fed by Squeezebox wireless) and I'm fighting the B60SST urge! (How do I explain to my wife that I have an audio 'money pit' upstairs & down!)

Don't have any pre-SST B60s in the stable that could be sourced through my dealer....do ya :wink:

Keith

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #113 on: 17 Nov 2008, 04:50 am »

Keith

Hey Keith,

Welcome back sir.

james

Thanks James

I guess it's time to get the BDA-1 I deferred in March/April of this year. I'm also just getting around to assembling my long-anticipated small living room system (fed by Squeezebox wireless) and I'm fighting the B60SST urge! (How do I explain to my wife that I have an audio 'money pit' upstairs & down!)

Don't have any pre-SST B60s in the stable that could be sourced through my dealer....do ya :wink:

Keith

...i bet that most of the wifes don't even know that their husbands are part of this forum. my lady sometimes asks me ''hey, what are you doing?'' and i say ''well, i am writing...'' 8)

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #114 on: 19 Nov 2008, 09:34 pm »
MEMO - Bryston Customer Feedback
SUBJECT – Bryston BDA-1 External DAC

James,

Thank you for the guidance and advice on your products.  The following are my observations/comments:

After 1 week with product – Commentary I shared with a fellow audio nut

Just as an FYI … the more I play with this unit the more impressed I am. 

I have been focusing heavily on A/B comparisons between the Bryston and my preamp.  In short it is an amazing DAC … it has a bit of a long break-in period.  But each night I turn it on … it sounds better and better.  The difference between the preamp and Bryston is now medium to large. 

The best I can describe it is that the music just comes to life.  Soundstage is lively, dimensional and silky smooth.  When I switch back to the preamp … it is flat and grainy. 

So to get Audiophile access to your digitally stored music this is a Rucinski “highly” recommended product (keep in mind I rip everything lossless).

Regards,Bruce Rucinski
Senior VP, Development Platform Engineering

« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2008, 11:31 pm by James Tanner »

vegasdave

« Reply #115 on: 19 Nov 2008, 10:00 pm »
Well, it looks like you've got a winner there. I would get the BDA-1, but unfortunately I can't afford one.

Spritz57

« Reply #116 on: 20 Nov 2008, 07:48 pm »
I want to give a bump out to Karl Schuster who not only has been a terrific source of information on pc audio but he makes excellent IC's and Speaker Wire at very fair prices.  (Just read TAS's Golden Ear Awards for the past several years).  I am usually reluctant to recommend anything but I have been very pleased with Empirical Design's products and thought I should give credit where credit is due!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 21 Nov 2008, 05:37 pm »
Hi James,

Jut wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying the Bryston BDA-1 DAC. 

I use it for two sources. One is from a transport and the other is from a Wadia iPod dock.  In both cases, it sounds fantastic.

I'm still experimenting with the upsampling feature. I definitely prefer it when upsampling from Apple lossless files. On regular cds it really depends upon the individual disc that I'm playing. Sometimes I prefer it, sometimes not.

Regards,

Richard
KEF
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2008, 07:55 pm by James Tanner »

KeithA

« Reply #118 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:32 pm »

Keith

Hey Keith,

Welcome back sir.

james

Yeah, finally got around to placing the order for the BDA-1 today. Should be interesting.

Keith

vegasdave

« Reply #119 on: 22 Nov 2008, 07:38 am »
Hi James,

Jut wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying the Bryston BDA-1 DAC. 

I use it for two sources. One is from a transport and the other is from a Wadia iPod dock.  In both cases, it sounds fantastic.

I'm still experimenting with the upsampling feature. I definitely prefer it when upsampling from Apple lossless files. On regular cds it really depends upon the individual disc that I'm playing. Sometimes I prefer it, sometimes not.

Regards,

Richard
KEF

KEF the speaker company?