Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.

WGH

Re: Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.
« Reply #120 on: 17 Oct 2010, 10:48 pm »
Duke LeJeune of Audiokinesis next to his new Strato Prism speakers. A natural sounding horn speaker, it had a little too much bass for the small room but an interesting design that should be checked out in a larger room. Duke was fun to chat with too.

Audio Physic had a detailed presentation with deep low bass but the upper bass was lacking and sounded tonally thin.

Benchmark demoed their DAC through some speakers that were too small for an audio show, they were over driven and sounded bad at levels other speakers easily handled. I did enter the raffle for the free Benchmark DAC anyway.

Lou Hinkley of Daedalus looking cool. His room on Saturday was one of the best sounding rooms at this years RMAF. The room also featured cables by Boulder and one of Wayne's modded DAC's.

Emerald Physics CS2.7 with Wired4Sound Electronics - I'm still not a full range sound guy so no comment on the sound.

EJ Sarmento holding the new Wired4Sound DAC he designed.

Even though these speakers featured full range drivers they also included a crossover for the tweeter and woofer and they sounded great, this is how full range speakers are supposed to sound. The speakers use field coil drivers with excellent results.

Hiniwa speakers used active DSP and imaged great but they also had the highest detail of any speakers I heard at the show, they have limited low range so the sound was ultimately fatiguing.

JBL knows how to do horns right, the Synthesis 1400 was a pleasure to listen to.

Jeff Joseph got a great big sound out of his Joseph Audio Pulsar speakers.

I liked the Kawero! speakers, they used premium parts including a Raal tweeter, Mundorf, and Duelund caps.

Many rooms used the Steinmusic Ambient Harmonizer in all four corners. I have no idea if they work or what they are supposed to do.

Wayne

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2010, 02:51 pm by WGH »

Mariusz

« Reply #121 on: 17 Oct 2010, 10:49 pm »
Question

Were Zu Omen playing or was it a stationary display ? From stereophile blog pictures, it appears that there were just standing there looking pretty.

Also

Any feadback on new technologies, DACs etc.

Soundsmith cartridge setup tool looks interesting, quick solution for those silly vinyl lovers.  :wink:
Any thoughts on that?

Mariusz

taoggniklat

« Reply #122 on: 17 Oct 2010, 10:55 pm »
Question

Were Zu Omen playing or was it a stationary display ? From stereophile blog pictures, it appears that there were just standing there looking pretty.

Also

Any feadback on new technologies, DACs etc.

Soundsmith cartridge setup tool looks interesting, quick solution for those silly vinyl lovers.  :wink:
Any thoughts on that?

Mariusz

They (Zu) had several pairs in the room. They had a bunch lined up when you entered the room and then the main listening ones. I liked them alot. But I actually liked the Zu Soul Superfly's more for some reason.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #123 on: 17 Oct 2010, 10:58 pm »
I'm very surprised with all the pics that have been posted with the lack of room acoustic treatments.   :scratch:  Makes no sense to me. 

cujobob

« Reply #124 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm »
I'd assume some are hidden.

TomS

« Reply #125 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:06 pm »
Wayne,

Great pics.  It was interesting those open baffle speakers from the FirstWatt/Lowther room above had Rythmik sealed servo subs and plate amps in them.  I could be wrong but I thought he also said those field coil drivers were $15k+  :o

Vinnie from RWA had a very nice all battery system with his pre/dac, 70.2's and one of the various Zu's (Essence maybe?).  It was a very enjoyable system to listen to as it all seemed to just work together really well.  I'd never been all that impressed with Zu's, but they sounded quite good in his room Saturday.

Actually on room treatments that was one of the notable efforts to improve small rooms this year.  GIK was well represented in a lot of places.  I think ASC may have offered some kind of deal to place a set of half high full round traps in people's rooms if they wanted then.  I saw lots of rooms with just 2 of those.  I'm sure they helped some, but it's not comparable to the more complete GIK setups in some rooms.  And yes, many were hidden behind drapes and posters.

Tom

Mariusz

« Reply #126 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:09 pm »
They (Zu) had several pairs in the room. They had a bunch lined up when you entered the room and then the main listening ones. I liked them alot. But I actually liked the Zu Soul Superfly's more for some reason.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Pez

« Reply #127 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:17 pm »
Just wanted to say Wayne, awesome coverage man! I heard a lot of the rooms you did and I have to say I agree while heartfelt with pretty much everything you've said. Thanks for the great effort!

WGH

« Reply #128 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:24 pm »
Almost all the rooms used room treatments, I cropped the photos. On average the sound this year was better than last year.

TomS, I think you are close on the price though it may be the total price of the speakers. I don't remember the price of the field coil drivers but they are in the thousands.

Wayne

WGH

« Reply #129 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:27 pm »
Just wanted to say Wayne, awesome coverage man! I heard a lot of the rooms you did and I have to say I agree while heartfelt with pretty much everything you've said. Thanks for the great effort!

There are more photos coming, I haven't even got the the vinyl installment yet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #130 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:11 am »
I'm all ready to start posting impressions, just waiting for Jason to start uploading the pics from Friday & Sat ;)

WGH

« Reply #131 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:05 am »
Magico was playing a long recording of a piano solo using a reel-to-reel, the recording was dynamic and the speakers revealed every nuance. I would have liked to stay longer to hear other music but it was late in the day and my time was limited. I'm looking forward to reading Tyson's impressions.

This is my mystery speaker #1.
Note to self: take better notes next year.

Mystery speaker #2

Vitus Audio had a nice spacious sound.

The Tweek Geek room featured the Vivid V1.5 and Mike Galusha. I was prepared not to like the small pods but they won me over. I'm thinking $10,000?

Steve Dobbins was featuring 'The Beat' direct drive turntable.  The MBL speakers were his personal pair and not for sale. Needless to say vinyl plaback was excellent.

A lot more turntables coming up tomorrow.

Wayne

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2010, 02:47 pm by WGH »

fsimms

« Reply #132 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:25 am »
The mystery speaker #1 is the Coincident Pure Reference Extreme (T) speaker.  It is $26k.  It is supposed to be good but for 26 it should be.  The sensitivity is 94 db.

How did they sound?

Bob

standub

« Reply #133 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:35 am »
Mystery speaker #2 were some Genesis's in the PS Audio room.

kip_

« Reply #134 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:42 am »

I almost forgot.  The Selah Monitors I heard were excellent.  I am not sure which model or the electronics but they just disappeared in the room and that was left was the music.

Selah was showing the Verita powered by Red Dragon ICEPower Amps

http://www.selahaudio.com/id216.html

WGH

« Reply #135 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:54 am »
The mystery speaker #1 is the Coincident Pure Reference Extreme (T) speaker.  It is $26k.  It is supposed to be good but for 26 it should be.  The sensitivity is 94 db.

How did they sound?

Bob

I think they sounded lively. Those high sensitivity speakers certainly have a jump factor. I forgot what they were so I guess they didn't make a lasting impression.

Mystery speaker #2 were some Genesis's in the PS Audio room.

Thanks, it was the end of the day and I didn't give them a proper listen.

Wayne

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #136 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:39 am »
Wow!  Great, and much appreciated coverage! 

The Vivid Audio V1.5 are $7500/pr USD MSRP, employing the exact same drivers and design architecture as their much larger floor-standing flagship over $50k.  Thanks for the image and listening impression.  Considering the recommendation from an acquaintance they are a must hear. 

groovybassist

« Reply #137 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:46 am »
I liked the Vivid 1.5's as well.  Forgot to put that in my Best of RMAF thread.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #138 on: 18 Oct 2010, 03:13 am »
I can't remember the exact history of the Vivid designer, but suffice to say he has a stellar and extensive record of successful, innovative speakers.  Apparently the V1.5 is made with an integrated stand to the floor or a flat pedestal allowing the user's own stand or placement on a shelf, table, etc.

One acquaintance is familiar with my old French ASA Pro Monitors, and remarked the V1.5 have a rare combination of "timbral accuracy and timbral beauty".  He also placed them above such premium pieces as the Wilson Benesch A.C.T. (U.K., not to be confused with Dave Wilson, a mix of exotic materials including W.C.F. enclosures) and a very rare Australian speaker with sealed woofer alignment.

For the technology and promised performance they seem to be very moderately priced.  Certainly they lack the first octave and head banging SPL, but that might be all they lack. 

No idea about the load characteristics. 

I've heard and enjoyed the hugest MBL omnis at CES, but they normally play too loud there; it would be great to hear the smaller models and at more normal levels.       

drphoto

« Reply #139 on: 18 Oct 2010, 03:16 am »
What speaker stood out at a sane price? I dunno...let's say.....$3K-$4K? tops or less hopefully.

From several reports it seems like the Fritz Carbon 7 gets a nod.

Once again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but many of of do not have $20k for speakers alone.

cheers to all