Bryston 28 owners--- what power cables do you use?

Calypte

Re: Bryston 28 owners--- what power cables do you use?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2019, 08:05 pm »
So the thesis here is that Bryston is selling these amps for $12,000 -- each -- but they went cheap when supplying power cords.  That's about it -- right?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2019, 08:32 pm »
Name one mfr that provides an $1000 power cord with a 12K amp?

brucek

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2019, 09:57 pm »
So the thesis here is that Bryston is selling these amps for $12,000 -- each -- but they went cheap when supplying power cords.  That's about it -- right?

Yep, that's about it.

What fools they are, think how great these amps could be if they had just included a decent power cable. Oy-vey.  :duh:

brucek

Calypte

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2019, 10:21 pm »
Current owners should insist that Bryston supply them -- gratis -- with adequate power cords.  I can't see spending $24k on power amps unless they come with the absolute best power cords obtainable.

BTW, when this discussion last came up about a month ago, I read through the past comments (going back 15 years or so) of one of the other vendors on AudioCircle.  According to him -- as I understand his comments -- the power cord is essentially an extension of the primary winding of the power transformer in the amp.  As such, any capability that a power cord provides beyond that already provided by the power transformer is essentially negated by the transformer.  I'm not qualified to argue this.  I'd be willing to listen to counter-arguments from experienced electronic engineers. 

G E

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2019, 10:42 pm »
I’d appreciate it if those who wish to debate the merits of power cords do so on any of the other very many threads dedicated to that topic.

I started this thread to ask what other 28 mono block owners used.

If you use stock power cords - which I did until last night- just state so and you are pleased with them.  Then take your discussion about “why” somewhere else!

G E

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2019, 10:51 pm »
Last night I switched power cables on the 28’s.

Played several LP sides and about halfway through one side I turned off the amps and swapped in the Cardas Clear Beyond. Then turn amps back on.

I wasn’t prepared for what I heard next. 3D holographic imaging, much more powerful bass and midrange detail stepped up. It’s like the amps had been starved for power.

Sinatra and Ellington’s band swaggered like never before. I got some incredible “blaaaat” from saxes. Wow was that fun!

It so impacted the upper bass that I need to readjust my passive radiators in my vmps rm 30.

More impressions will follow.

Calypte

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2019, 10:55 pm »
I’d appreciate it if those who wish to debate the merits of power cords do so on any of the other very many threads dedicated to that topic.

I started this thread to ask what other 28 mono block owners used.

If you use stock power cords - which I did until last night- just state so and you are pleased with them.  Then take your discussion about “why” somewhere else!

I saw your original request.  For this thread, I'm conceding your argument that better power cords exist.  But if I were you, I'd feel cheated by Bryston.  If there are better power cords than the schlock junk they supplied with a pair of monoblock amps that cost as much as a very nice car, then you should demand some sort of compensation from them.

G E

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2019, 11:31 pm »
I saw your original request.  For this thread, I'm conceding your argument that better power cords exist.  But if I were you, I'd feel cheated by Bryston.  If there are better power cords than the schlock junk they supplied with a pair of monoblock amps that cost as much as a very nice car, then you should demand some sort of compensation from them.

Open a new thread and let’s discuss!

drummermitchell

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2019, 11:36 pm »
Well have my 28s for years,stock cords,
OMG Shunyata python to anaconda(regular then Helix)
NOTHING, sold all TWELVE of em.
Yes I have some components
Use to use Shunyata PCs years ago pure BS
Torus PUI or Bryston,same thing,now we’re talkin because it was right FKN Now the difference.
All stock and Bull here.
Fucking amazing audiophiles think regular folk can’t hear a difference
Guess y’all sum special.
Let’s see 28s— Vac signature IIA pre,3x7Bsst2
Torus 60a @ 20a both 240v
Sum  bitches think they they know,probably in the same twump mentality,god help us seriously

john1970

« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2019, 12:16 am »
I Use Nordost Red Dawn cables for a pair of 7B3 amps.  I got them at used prices so I cannot complain, but frankly difficult to hear a difference vs. stock power cords.  Inserting a Bryston BIT20 power conditioner on a dedicated 20 amp line was a more dramatic and easily discernible improvement.   

brucek

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jun 2019, 08:26 pm »
........ if I were you, I'd feel cheated by Bryston.  If there are better power cords than the schlock junk they supplied with a pair of monoblock amps that cost as much as a very nice car, then you should demand some sort of compensation from them.

Yeah, I have to think that the engineers and designers at Bryston wouldn't let this obvious problem slip by them.

They're quite capable of producing a superior amplifier with incredible specifications, tested while using the supplied power cables.

It's worthy of note that this amazing amplifier has no user accessible parts, save for the removable power cord.

Users have decided this is a flaw in the system that they can exploit. Those fools at Bryston, how could they supply such an inferior power cable?

The fact is, that in no case is there any advantage in using a larger gauge wire than the wire used between your electrical service panel and your wall outlet. That's what Bryston has supplied. It can be no better. Throw as much money as you wish at this non-problem and nothing will happen. Some will change cords and tell you that it's a revelation. This very thread has testimony that the transformation is something they weren't prepared for. They'll claim a 3D holographic image was revealed, with more powerful bass and midrange detail stepped up. They'll realize that these amps had been starved for power before this amazing after market power cord along with its marketing hype..

Nope, it just ain't so. Bryston knows it,so they provide the cable that gets the very best the amp has to offer.

brucek

audio.bill

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jun 2019, 10:02 pm »
Well... now that we have it on good authority the dispute is settled once and for all!  :lol:
We may at times want to believe our system is as good as it can get... we don't know there could be something even better until we hear it for ourselves!

G E

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jul 2019, 08:25 pm »

If they included high end cables then the "cables don't matter" crowd would piss and moan that they are overpaying for 6 feet of zip cord.  And the "cables matter" group would be disappointed that their fave connector wasn't included.  Bryston took the correct path by providing a stout and serviceable cord that is easily swapped out if desired.  And no one pays for something they don't want.