Speakers Philly Area

mike555

Speakers Philly Area
« on: 22 Dec 2010, 05:09 am »
Hi.  I live in Philly and have a Conrad Johnson CAV-50 integrated amplifier.  I have never owned a quality set of speakers before and am looking for some to match with my Conrad Johnson gear.  It seems like there are some friendly folks on this thread, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for some relatively sensitive speakers that would be a good match for my Conrad Johnson amplifier.  There do not seem to be many audio stores in the area; any suggestions on how I might be able to audition a variety of speakers with my amp?
Thanks,
Mike

DTB300

Re: Speakers Philly Area
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2010, 01:59 pm »
There do not seem to be many audio stores in the area;
Overture Audio in Wilmington DE - just down the road from Philly

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:00 pm »
Head over to Stephen Monte's "Quest for Sound"   He is at 2307 Bristol Pike in Bensalem.  I bought a cd player from him 4 years ago and had a great experience there.  A fun and funky store and Stephen was good to work with. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:09 pm »
Hi.  I live in Philly and have a Conrad Johnson CAV-50 integrated amplifier.  I have never owned a quality set of speakers before and am looking for some to match with my Conrad Johnson gear.  It seems like there are some friendly folks on this thread, and I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for some relatively sensitive speakers that would be a good match for my Conrad Johnson amplifier.  There do not seem to be many audio stores in the area; any suggestions on how I might be able to audition a variety of speakers with my amp?
Thanks,
Mike

What speakers were you using when you had the Musical Fidelity amp?

putz

« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:39 pm »
Run a search on Audiogon using your zip code to find speakers for sale near where you live. Than you could audition them and possibly bring your amp to the seller's house if the seller was OK with that.

Easy enuf to google most speakers and see how sensitive they are before you go any further.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2010, 03:49 pm »
Head over to Stephen Monte's "Quest for Sound"   He is at 2307 Bristol Pike in Bensalem.  I bought a cd player from him 4 years ago and had a great experience there.  A fun and funky store and Stephen was good to work with.

+1 on QFS, great place, but you will pass it by if you just go up Bristol Pike.  He's in the back of a tiny strip mall, and I mean in the back and tiny.  The "Mall" is about two stores big, and he's literally around back in the former basement.  But he has it all remodeled very nicely and he has 3 or four rooms of ascending price gear, it all works somehow, and great people. 

I would also recommend Stereo Trading Outlet in Jenkintown.  I've been buying from them for twenty years now, not sure if they've recently changed ownership or restructured, but something changed.  AudioLab in Oxford valley was awesome in the 90's, but hasn't transitioned into the 21st century with the same strength, he's downsized significantly with a much smaller location and less of a product line, but still recommended, the local Maggie dealer, but these might not be the best speakers for a CJ integrated.  I guess David Lewis is still in business up on Bustleton, but I honestly have never done business there so couldn't comment.     

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:03 pm »
+1 on Stephen at Quest for Sound in Bensalem. I've been dealing with Stephen for over 5yrs now & it's been a very rewarding experience. Just show up with a cup of Joe & spend the whole day chewing the fat, doing some great listening & always a feeling of "Welcome". He has his whole store set up to pretty much meet anyone's budget. If you buy something for $100 or $15,000 it doesn't matter...he treats you the same. No need to pull up in a Mercedes here to even get a hello.