Anybody interested in a short-term amplifier loan/swap?

IronLion

I'm quite curious to know what a higher-powered amp would do for my SP Tech Minis, but I'm a bit reluctant to put down the money to find out at the moment and was wondering if someone would be willing to lend me a higher-powered amp (150wpc or more) for a week or so to let me see how it matches up to my speakers?  I would be happy to loan in exchange my RWA Signature 30.2.  Oh, btw, I am located in Washington DC.

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Anybody interested in a short-term amplifier loan/swap?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2008, 03:31 pm »
hi,

i have a hypex ucd180 amp that you're welcome to try.  it's rated 100w into 8 ohms, 180 into 4 ohms.  it's a homebrew amp; functionally similar to this:

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=140_142&products_id=616&Cid=0bf6122681ed2d5c6a7c98d507d6b441

(don't blame me for the poor pics; i didn't take them!   :green: )

i am yust south of frederick, md, about 8 minutes from the buckeystown/urbana exit on 270...

doug s.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2008, 10:39 am »
That's really interesting!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2008, 11:38 am »
That's really interesting!
relatively cheap, too, if anyone is interested in buying it.   :lol:  i don't need it; i took it in trade as partial payment...

doug s.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2008, 01:59 pm »
I'm quite curious to know what a higher-powered amp would do for my SP Tech Minis, but I'm a bit reluctant to put down the money to find out at the moment and was wondering if someone would be willing to lend me a higher-powered amp (150wpc or more) for a week or so to let me see how it matches up to my speakers?  I would be happy to loan in exchange my RWA Signature 30.2.  Oh, btw, I am located in Washington DC.

You can bring your minis and your amp to my place and we can compare different amps.  My tube mono's don't travel too well and I need the switching amps for my woofers. 

P.S.  I am in Vienna near the Metro. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2008, 02:13 pm »

You can bring your minis and your amp to my place and we can compare different amps.  My tube mono's don't travel too well and I need the switching amps for my woofers. 

funny you mention not wanting to loan out your tube amps, due to travel issues - in a pm, i also mentioned iron lion could come over if he wanted to try my mesa baron.   :D  but, if it were me, i'd really wanna hear different amps on my speakers in my own room.  helps eliminate other wariables...  but, if i were iron lion, i'd be way tempted to take you up on your offer!   :thumb:

doug s.

ricmon

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2008, 05:36 pm »

I got a pair of Son's Of Ampzillas that should prove to be an interesting test.  But like Woodsyi it may be a good idea to bring the SP Tech Minis over first.  It may not take a week or so to reach a conclusion.  BTW the invitation is still open for for you to come by and check out some vinyl.

Ric

JoshK

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2008, 09:00 pm »
Doug's UcD amp would probably be the ticket for the mini's.