1st Impression Pt II/ 2nd Impression Pt I

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
1st Impression Pt II/ 2nd Impression Pt I
« on: 3 Oct 2006, 07:37 am »
Okay, I'll update the saga of my 8th Nerve treatment journey.  A ways back I bought 4 x Adapt corners during the big summer clearance.  I will frankly admit they performed well out of proportion to their size & my expectations.  The cost seemed high to a cheapskate like me, at least before I bought them!  But now I see I was a fool to wait so long.

So how do I follow up on this gain?  By adding some more 8th Nerve products! :)  Again the cheapskate in me rules the day- I readily acknowledge the excellence of the Adapts, but as much as I'd like to complete the rest of the room with Adapts it's a bit beyond my budget right now.  My thumbnail sketch indicates I'd need 7 Rectangles at a cool $1400...probably well worth it, but a bit over my budget.  So I went the used route & bought a package of used Response treatments, 10  seams & 5 corners, from a real solid fellow AC'er who moved up to all-Adapts (thanks, Gongos :)).

Thanks to an abundance of product, I have actually treated every trihedral corner in my room, including the floor/corner/wall junction and all of the dihedrah corners- including the floor/wall spots.  The ceiling/wall areas are treated with Adapts, with the balance being treated with Response's.

I've only had them up for six hours, so I'll reserve in depth commentary for a later time, but my initial impressions are very favorable- basically I get even more of what I had:  a lack of overhang, less ringing, more clarity.  The room doesn't seem to "hang onto" bass notes like it did, obliterating the "overhang" & boom that I had.  How do those little things work effectively as bass treatments? :scratch:  I dunno, but I will trust the combo of my ears & my Rat Shack SPL meter!  Objectively the response is much smoother.  Subjectively, my room sounds larger, less clostrophobic.  There's "speed" and "lean-ness" I've never heard in this room before.  But that lean, clean sound doesn't equate to a thin bass- quite the contrary.  It seems a layer of gunk is peeled off the bass, leaving a potency I haven't had since I moved in.  And I haven't even connected my parametric EQ yet! 8)

Kudos to Nathan & Co.  I'll post more after I live with the products for awhile. :)