How big is a bookshelf speaker?

JohnR

Re: How big is a bookshelf speaker?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Mar 2017, 11:18 am »
LS50 at 11.9 x 7.9 x 10.9 wouldn't fit in my bookshelf (except maybe on the top one).

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2017, 01:38 pm »
The only bookshelf I use speakers on is in my living room.  The speakers are part of the JVC EX-A1 I use there. 

The speakers are tiny - H, W, D are -  4 3/4" x 6 3/8" 9 7/16".  They barely clear the smallest shelf on the old teak shelving unit.  Speakers as large as 9 inch H could fit, but for the location and use the stock speakers are fine.

The wood cone speakers do a decent job with FM and light CD work.  I don't like them for any real listening.  Interestingly the receiver portion is excellent and I have used it with much larger speakers in the past.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 1 Mar 2017, 02:25 pm »
I have quite a few books that are 11"H.  And standard binders are ~ 11-5/8" - 11-3/4"H.  If a fixed-shelf bookcase doesn't have 12" clearance between all shelves, then it's not really a "bookcase" but more of a display case or shelf unit.

Steve

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #23 on: 1 Mar 2017, 02:33 pm »
Thats easy, a bookshelf speaker can be almost any size as long as;
1. It's not so heavy it tears down your shelf right off the wall.
2. You can put it on the shelf yourself without calling your neighbor Bruno Sammartino for help
3. Help me out with the next one......
        Did not AR's Henry Kloss get acclaim for the size and name of the bookshelf speaker as I think he was the man who brought it into Hi-fi?...Anyway I got some old Radio Shack Minimus 7's. There the size of a cobble stone, made out of metal and why I got them, they were cat proof.
    There were several articles on this speaker for modifing it in Speaker Builder. The flatest response chart was one the modifier did with books abutting the speaker on both sides and almost no clearance on the top and bottom between shelves. I'll dig up the article if your interested. ...Mark Korda

JohnR

« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2017, 02:39 pm »
I have quite a few books that are 11"H.  And standard binders are ~ 11-5/8" - 11-3/4"H.  If a fixed-shelf bookcase doesn't have 12" clearance between all shelves, then it's not really a "bookcase" but more of a display case or shelf unit.

OK, but how big is your actual bookshelf? You know, in terms of the space available to fit speakers?

:)

srb

« Reply #25 on: 1 Mar 2017, 03:05 pm »
OK, but how big is your actual bookshelf? You know, in terms of the space available to fit speakers?

:)

Well, I built both of them myself, so they of course have 12" clearance between shelves!  Because they were built with standard 1 X 12 board lumber, the depth is 11-1/4".

Steve