Isolators under Omega speakers?

pursuitofnow

Isolators under Omega speakers?
« on: 24 Jun 2018, 07:28 pm »
Has anyone replaced stock spikes with the Stillpoints Ultra SS? Was the improvement worth the investment?
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2018, 05:16 pm by pursuitofnow »

pursuitofnow

Re: Stillpoints Ultra SS under Omega speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:13 pm »
How about ISOACOUSTICS GAIA III?

nature boy

Re: Isolators under Omega speakers?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2018, 08:05 pm »
Using Gingko ARCH 1's.  Low cost option, they sound great under my SAHO floorstanders.
NB

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm »
   First question ? Does Louis prefer spikes or decoulping ? Allot depends on floor type. JLM can chime in on his expertise there.

charles

pursuitofnow

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2018, 03:54 am »
I'm dealing with suspended wood floors, which has led me to believe need isolation. I'm willing to bet spikes are very good for the majority of use cases as oem equipment. I am curious if isolation will provide sonic benefits on suspended wood floors compared to the oem spikes? Is there a risk of reducing the bass too much with isolation?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2018, 02:37 pm »
Suspend floor calls for decoulping.

charles

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2018, 03:11 pm »
I'm dealing with suspended wood floors, which has led me to believe need isolation. I'm willing to bet spikes are very good for the majority of use cases as oem equipment. I am curious if isolation will provide sonic benefits on suspended wood floors compared to the oem spikes? Is there a risk of reducing the bass too much with isolation?

There is bass and then there is "good bass".  Isolation on suspended wood floors should provide a better quality bass.  Meaning tighter, more defined, and sounding more like the instrument that produced the notes. It might appear as "less bass" but you can decide--quantity or quality.

FireGuy

Re: Stillpoints Ultra SS under Omega speakers?
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:43 pm »
How about ISOACOUSTICS GAIA III?

+1 on IsoAcoustics.  My subs have them.  They work and are relatively inexpensive.  My Super 3U's are on 24" stands with carpet, large rug and window treatments.

https://www.amazon.com/IsoAcoustics-ISO-L8R155-Medium-Acoustic-Isolation/dp/B008GOP79G?SubscriptionId=AKIAJA54JMESX73IGPXQ&amp=&ascsubtag=686782938-16-&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B008GOP79G&linkCode=xm2&tag=d_2b_a_p-20

jmolsberg

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:52 pm »
I use the Herbie's Threaded Stud Glider. Economical, works well, and protect my hardwoods. M6 thread size FYI

roscoe65

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2018, 07:42 pm »
my first preference is to use Isoacoustics.  I use them under a number of speakers.  My second choice is Herbie's big feet gliders.  They both have a place.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2018, 04:01 pm »
I've been using Herbie's threaded stud gliders on my SAMs with bass modules under them.  Fairly heavy, particularly with the slabs on top.  Louis is helping me upgrade to SAM HOs that will sit on those bass modules.  I figure I am getting to about 100lbs each with the new configuration.

So, another option for isolation, and one that is actually cheaper than all those mentioned thus far (I think), are the SVS Soundpath Subwoofer Isolation Feet .

$100 for a set of eight with posts for several threads included.  Can handle the weight.

No shortage of possibilities here!

........Peter

pursuitofnow

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2018, 02:10 pm »
I use the Herbie's Threaded Stud Glider. Economical, works well, and protect my hardwoods. M6 thread size FYI

I've used the non-threaded ones before and liked them a lot. Worth considering again I guess. Thanks for the thread size, I was about to email Louis.

So, another option for isolation, and one that is actually cheaper than all those mentioned thus far (I think), are the SVS Soundpath Subwoofer Isolation Feet .

I wasn't aware of these and given the price I guess I should try them out. Thanks!

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2018, 06:02 pm »

$100 for a set of eight with posts for several threads included.  Can handle the weight.

No shortage of possibilities here!

........Peter

didn't find it anywhere that these could be used on regular speakers only sub woofers.

McNubbins

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2018, 10:20 am »
didn't find it anywhere that these could be used on regular speakers only sub woofers.
There is "can" and then there is "can."

People have been using Blue Tack and random foam for speaker isolation forever even though they aren't specifically designed for that purpose.

My guess would be that anything that keeps vibrations out of your floor/stand is going to improve the sound you hear from your speaker.

I use some IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R stands under my pair of 3XRS. Importantly for the 3XRS, those also let you adjust for tilt. As another member mentioned, there was a lowering of outright bass output, but what is there is way cleaner. The improvement in sound stretches up into the midrange.

I bought them to make my relationship with my downstairs neighbours a little more peaceful. I was skeptical that there would be any improvement in sound quality, but I was pleasantly surprised.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2018, 02:47 pm »

SVS is primarily a sub manufacturer, so that is how they are marketed.  They are twice the diameter of most "feet".  If you read reviews and questions on the amazon page, you will find plenty of experiences using for mains.  Plus, I figure, if they are effective for subs, which have greater frequency related vibrations, they would be overqualified for main speakers.

jriggy

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2018, 06:37 pm »
SVS is primarily a sub manufacturer, so that is how they are marketed.  They are twice the diameter of most "feet".  If you read reviews and questions on the amazon page, you will find plenty of experiences using for mains.  Plus, I figure, if they are effective for subs, which have greater frequency related vibrations, they would be overqualified for main speakers.

I haven’t seen or read the reviews mentioned on Amazon or know the level of speakers being used there, but some soft(ish) rubbery materials can kill transients and dynamics, as well as slow down part of the spectrum...
For me when there is any sort of PRaT issue like that I begin to quickly get tired and literally begging to uncontrollably fall asleep. Like being hypnotized. It’s weird.

Ben1248

« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2018, 05:20 pm »
Great info. Thank you.

I do have hardwood floor, which is glued to the concrete slab. My HO Alnico XRS speakers use the spikes, which were provided. In general each speaker rest partially on three spike, because it is not so easy to balance all four. So I was always thinking, that here is room for improvements.

Based on the discussion here, I bought last week the iso acoustic aparta 300 stands (note: the Gingko arches maybe better for carpet floors, but I am not so sure). They raise the speakers by 3inches. The soundstage seems to be more "free" and less "constraint".  Impression is more life like with certain recordings. (note: The system is already excellent and it is fun to spend hours with it). We listen to Jennifer Warnes "Way Down Dow" (remastered 44.1Khz; here we did A/B comparison; with and without spikes.....heavy lifting each time ;-) )and some bass heavy songs: stardust (RR; Yerba Buena Bounce), and Let's Go Get Stoned (Carmen Gomes). For soundstage and life like: Melody Gardot (Life in Europe; 48/24)) and John Hassell; Fascinoma (88.2/24)

It is certainly another small step of improvement and I am happy to have done it (note: The amount of improvement seems to be similar to the addition of the JS-2 power supply for my chord 2quote DAC)

Jorge

« Reply #17 on: 7 Aug 2018, 10:24 am »
Hi Ben,

Could it only be the change in position what makes a difference and not really a better sound?  brain has short sound memory and every single change appear as an improvement when in fact it is only a perception but the quality itself of the sound does not change, only the brain that received the input.

mick wolfe

« Reply #18 on: 7 Aug 2018, 04:39 pm »
Suspend floor calls for decoulping.

charles

I couldn't agree more. My experience spiking directly to a suspended wood created somewhat of a sonic disaster. As already mentioned, experiment with various decoupling options.

MttBsh

« Reply #19 on: 7 Aug 2018, 06:54 pm »
According to Yamamoto and 6moons, ebony footers under spikes make a positive difference.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/yamamoto3/footers.html

Can the density of the wood under the spikes actually produce an audible difference? I am using Cain & Cain Abbys (the same speakers under which the PB-10s were placed for this review) so I may have to try these out.

Review excerpt:

PB-10s as Speaker Footers
I've been using the PB-10s on my Cain & Cain Abbys for nearly 2 years. Initially I was looking for a cost-effective solution to protect my wood floors from the Abbys spikes. The least expensive solution which oddly enough turned out to be currency -- eight shiny pennies -- served this purpose but actually didn't work out for a number of reasons. With Lincoln's flattened profile providing the resting place for the Abby's spikes, any minor adjustment meant one or more of the pennies slipped from their spots and re-positioning became a real drag. I came across the Yamamoto footers on the Venus HiFi website and for $35 for four ebony footers, I thought it was worth a try. I've heard a number of positive reports on the effects of ebony including its use in Herbies tube dampers and Mpingo devices so I ordered two pair from Brian Bowdle, the US importer of the Yamamoto line.

When the PB-10s arrived, I placed them under the Abbys and there they've remained for these past 2 years. Why? Beyond the fact that they make positioning a breeze, protect my floors and stay put, I prefer the sound of the Abbys with the ebony footers. Compared to the pennies (nickels, dimes and quarters too) the PB-10 ebony imparts a tighter, fuller bottom end, improved resolution and I'd even go as far as saying the African ebony gives the Abbys a richer tonal flavor. I also prefer the PB-10s to the Abbys spikes going directly into my wood floors. So does my wife.