Ry Cooder - The Prodigal Son

WGH

Ry Cooder - The Prodigal Son
« on: 17 May 2018, 03:28 pm »

The Prodigal Son is Ry Cooder's first album in 6 years, setting aside the political songs that were present in 2011's 'Pull Up Some Dust and Sit Down', Ry's new album focuses on vintage gospel, original songs, blues, folk and bluegrass traditionals. The song selection is excellent, Ry is in great form and playing up a storm and the recording is done live "in studio" with the players sitting in a circle. Sound wise I would give this album a 10, probably the best, natural feeling album in the last 10 years. The sound quality even comes through in the 'Making the Prodigal Son' video on Ry's website: http://rycooder.com/

I have the HD Tracks 88-24 download, get that if you can.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Produced by Ry Cooder and Joachim Cooder
Recorded, mixed, and mastered by Martin Pradler at Sage & Sound Recording Studios, Hollywood, and Wireland Studios, Chatsworth, CA
Recording assistant: Jon Gray
Design by Al Quattrocchi and Jeff Smith, Tornado Creative

Ry Cooder − vocals, guitar, banjo, mandolin, bass, keyboard
Joachim Cooder − drums, percussion
Robert Francis − bass on “you must unload”
Aubrey Haynie − violin on “you must unload”
Terry Evans, Arnold McCuller, Bobby King − vocals

Ry Cooder

Wayne

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
Re: Ry Cooder - The Prodigal Son
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2018, 09:02 pm »
Heard this last night, absolutely wonderful. Considering myself to be well versed in all things Ry Cooder - and I’ve listened to all his albums and have owned most - I would have to say that this is his best in both conception and execution. Previous to this, “Boomer’s Story “ was my favorite but this betters that and hats off to Ry.

Just thought you’d like to know.

All best,
LestersleepsIn

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2018, 09:08 pm »
As a longtime Ry Cooder fan, thanks for bringing this to everybody's attention. I will def get the HDT 88K version. One of the best slide guys ever. Favorite Cooder track probably 'Klan Meeting'.... eerie and scary.

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2018, 01:11 am »
I've been streaming this via Tidal hifi and the content and sound are great.

BTW, Tidal has a version with a master designation.  I'm not sure if this is an MQA offering as it's not included in the MQA listing on their website.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2018, 01:17 am »
Yes, there is a Tidal MQA version. Playing it right now on my PS DirectStream DAC.

santacore

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2018, 03:26 am »
I've been enjoying this on Tidal! Good stuff.