dsp/sound processors

ratso

dsp/sound processors
« on: 30 May 2012, 05:09 pm »
where does this stand now in car audio? i know it exists, but the last time i looked a long time ago it was still very much considered a work in progress type of thing. i realize that this can be a very controversial subject for some, but i have always felt if there is one environment that it could potentially be very useful in it would be car audio.

Mr Peabody

Re: dsp/sound processors
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 04:02 am »
I was recently at an audio event where JML a local car audio shop displayed a couple cars, I sat in one and was blown away by the fact the music was coming from in front of me more like a home stereo opposed to typical localization of speaker placement in cars, the result was really amazing.  I found this was done by DSP and time alignment of the speakers.  I thought this was a very effective and practical use of DSP.  I believe the processor was Audison

Audioclyde

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 12:33 pm »
I just had an Audison Bit One installed in my Lexus GS 350 (along with Hertz spkrs & Arc Audio amps). Highly recommend the Bit One. It can take the analog output from a stock head unit (it converts to digital, offers dsp capabilities and then acts as the DAC) and make it sound awfully good.  Also has direct digital input as well as auxiliary inputs (my IPod/IPad hooks up this way).

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2012, 11:26 pm »
Late but here is what i have looked at:
Audison Bit One
JBL M8
mosconi 6to8

And for decks,
Pioneer 80prs
Clarion cz702
Kenwood 996

The first two decks can be used as an active 3way xover (kenwood is just 2way) all with TA and EQ.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2012, 12:26 am »
I've only heard the Audison so can't compare but the Audison was simply amazing.  It took car audio to an entire new level of listening.

FWIW, the shop I was talking about that installs the Audison uses Kenwood head units.  A friend of mine had them do a car with Clarion Pro and Dynaudio that I was very impressed with.  From what I understand when using the Audison the head unit isn't overly critical, as long as it's a quality unit, so it may come down to which one has the features you like and looks best in your car.