Custom Walnut Planetarium Alphas

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: Custom Walnut Planetarium Alphas
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:07 pm »
It turns out that Larkston deleted his own post.  I didn't even know members could do this.  I am also embarrased to admit that I didn't know that when a member deletes his own post it goes to the IGWB.

Sorry for the false alarm.  :oops:

--Jerome

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #21 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:55 pm »
Srb, thanks for the link.

Larkston, did I send you some longer center port sections to try?  I don't recall doing so.  Longer ports would lower the tuning frequency, causing the bass to start rolling off a bit higher but more gradually.  Probably 1/4 to 1/3 of my customers end up using longer ports than what I normally provide, in cases where their room acoustics and/or amplifier interface results in overly heavy bass.  Let me know if you would be interested.

Yes I am interested, but let me say that I did not mean for my previous post to come off as being harshly critical of your speakers--I'm enjoying them very much--but I did want to agree with Jerome that yes, there is a break-in period and all good things take time, yadda-yadda. I actually thought I posted in the wrong area--since I quoted Jerome's remark from the review thread and posted it here. I removed it thinking nobody had noticed, and came back today to see I was wrong. Sorry about all the mayhem I may have caused in the process. :duh:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:12 pm »
Yes I am interested, but let me say that I did not mean for my previous post to come off as being harshly critical of your speakers--I'm enjoying them very much--but I did want to agree with Jerome that yes, there is a break-in period and all good things take time, yadda-yadda. I actually thought I posted in the wrong area--since I quoted Jerome's remark from the review thread and posted it here. I removed it thinking nobody had noticed, and came back today to see I was wrong. Sorry about all the mayhem I may have caused in the process. :duh:

Frankly Larkston, I saw no reason for why you deleted your post. I basically stated the same thing in Jrerome's thread and I enjoyed the fact that I wasn't alone with the reasons why I enjoyed Jerome's review so much. It was honest w/o the usual fanbased sugarcoating that consumes the bulk of most AC reviews. Not only did Jerome fully explain issues that could affect anyone, more importantly he explained the steps both he and Duke took or were willing to take to rectify them. In the end, this will only help others down the road and for me that's what AC is or should be all about,,, helping others with the sharing of information & experiences.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun 2010, 08:59 pm »
I'm learning from both of you, Jerome and Larkston, about break-in on my speakers; theoretically I should know it all, but obviously I don't. 

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm »

No harm done, so don't sweat it.

The first couple of weeks after taking delivery I felt like I was going around in circles.  I would change something, then it would sound good for a few albums and very soon I found myself needing to do something about the bass.  After bugging Duke a few times about it I had to recall the break-in period with my Omegas and it was only then that I realized that I simply had not given it enough time.  With my crazy busy work schedule I concluded that I was freaking out when there were only about 30 to 40 hours of playing time on the speakers.  After that I had the speakers playing at listening volume whenever I was home.  I have about 110 hours on them now and things are definitely much better.  I can also tell that the sound is continuing to evolve, but more slowly now then it did a few weeks ago.  I will need to make a few more minor adjustments but I am going to hold off on that until the drivers have 200 hours on them.  The important thing for me now is that the sound is reasonably stable and I don't feel the need to get up out of my seat every 30 seconds to adjust something.  Because of this I have been enjoying the speakers a great deal more than I did the first couple of weeks after delivery.  A few hours ago I listened to a 1956 vinyl pressing of a jazz record with Shelly Manne and Andre Previn -- it was glorious.  I am confident that many more moments like this are in store for me with these speakers.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2010, 02:59 pm by jsaliga »

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2018, 12:35 am »
Yep, this is a very old thread.  Eight years old, in fact.  All I wanted to say is that I still have these loudspeakers.  Indeed, this is the longest I have hung on to a speaker system.  Everything else in my system has changed since I bought these Audiokinesis speakers.  I have gone through:

1. Three power amps
2. Two preamps
3. Six phono preamps
4. Five turntables
5. Four DACs

Still very happy with my speakers and have no plans of changing them out.

--Jerome

bradmorris1

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jul 2018, 12:55 am »
what is your current line up?  I have had the Audiokenesis Prismas for several years as well with no swap out plans. 

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #27 on: 24 Jul 2018, 12:57 am »
Does it matter?  :lol:

--Jerome