2009 Soraya CB105 Impressions

Afterimage

Re: 2009 Soraya CB105 Impressions
« Reply #100 on: 1 Jun 2010, 11:46 am »
I'm in Des Moines.  My house is 230 miles from Minneapolis.  Not really that far.

AKSA

« Reply #101 on: 1 Jun 2010, 11:51 am »
Aha, birthplace of Bill Bryson....!!

I will email David,

Cheers,

Hugh

stvnharr

« Reply #102 on: 1 Jun 2010, 12:38 pm »
Hi Steve,

Ah, thanks, are you still in touch with him?  I will PM him......

How far from Omaha to Minneapolis?  At least 500 miles?

Ulp......

Hugh

Dave and I occassionally exchange emails, but it's been awhile now.  Dave moved to The Cities last summer.  Until he is able to buy a house, currently renting, he is out of audio action, other than listening.

Afterimage

« Reply #103 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:26 am »
Hi guys. I have been reading up on this one.  One thing that really caught my attention is the couple of reports so far that the Soraya seems to be able to make music out of not so good recordings.  I have a lot of rock and pop in my collection, and yes some of that stuff is brutal on high end systems (sounds good on cars and boom boxes though).  However, I have heard some gear make some music of these type of recordings.  I mean, there was air, some warmth, good spacing and some life.  So, can the Soraya really play in that game?  I am interested in this amp, but living in the States, I won't really get a chance to hear it.  Systems synergy, room acoustics and other variables aside, anyone know how the Soraya compares  to some of the other well know brands such as Conrad Johnson, Ayre, The ModWright KWA 150, Sim Audio, Macintosh, Pass Labs, ect....

In regards to how the Soraya compares to other brands at higher or similar price points, the only thing I could find on the net is small thread on Audiogon.   A poster, has some Cary amps.  He basically said the Soraya gives them a run for the money but it can't quite touch the Cary's in detail and treble extension.  He said the Soraya has tighter bass.  However, it is not really a fair comparison as the Cary's are 14 thousand dollars.  With this limited info, I would say this is a good indicator and a positive for the Soraya.

AKSA

« Reply #104 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:30 am »
Hi Kieran,

Thanks for the post.  Does the guy indicate which year?  The 2007 or 2009 Soraya?  The later one is a big improvement, in fact.

Wonder which Cary?  The 805 with the big 845 transmitter tube in SE?  I have heard them, they are pretty good amps too.

Cheers,

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #105 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:44 pm »
They were the CAD 211s I believe.  The thread is still on the 1st page of the amp section message board.  Don't know if it was the older version of the Soraya or the new one.  I believe the poster who the gave the feedback was only 10 km from you Hugh.  I'm pretty sure you may know him.

gaetan8888

« Reply #106 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:51 pm »
Hello

I'm a member of Audiogon, so I've check and found it at the first page, here is the link.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1253367435&&&/Any-experience-with-the-Aspen-Soraya-Amp

Bye

Gaetan

AKSA

« Reply #107 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:39 pm »
Ah, yes, Kieran, that's Keith Wong, a very clever and discerning physician with a VERY expensive system I've heard;  Acapellas, a very exotic plasma tweeter from Germany.

Keith heard the older, 2008 Soraya, not the latest.  The later one does have some considerable refinement, largely due to a complete revision of the input stage.

Incidentally, it's tricky comparing tube amps with SS amps;  they do so much differently.  As a general rule, tube amps are highly musical, with wonderful image depth, but they often lack top end extension, usually lack deep bass and impact, and generally lack attack.  Good ones are still VERY good, however, but there are strengths and weaknesses to both technologies.  I try to combine the goods, dispel the bads.

Gaetan, thank you very much for the link;  I went straight there, easy to identify Keith!  He is a committed audiophile with more knowledge of classical music than anyone I have ever met, particularly opera.

Cheers,

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #108 on: 8 Jun 2010, 09:48 am »
Good to know. Thanks for checking and for the clarification.  I agree on your take on tube amps.  Most that I have heard are little rolled off or bit recessed in the treble area.  I owned one that was an integrated, the Cayin A-KT88. I put the Tung Sol 6550s in it and it was very good in all areas, and very good in treble extension.  The problem was I used it in the bed room system and one of the sources was tv, it was left on all the because we fell asleep watching tv.  The on off switch was not on the remote.  I kept having to replace tubes every so often.  I also owned a couple of other tube amps, they sound good, more musical and warm form the most part, but I am never going back.  I thought about getting Van Alsine or Butler hybrid, but then I discoverd this site and now want to give the Maya a try, maybe this one can give then best of boy worlds.

AKSA

« Reply #109 on: 8 Jun 2010, 10:10 am »
Kieran,

Good to see we are on the same page!

I love 'best of boy worlds'!!  This might be a typo, but by golly, audio is a Toy Story, no question......  we seek perfection here!

Thank you for your confidence and interest.  I will keep you well informed, I promise!!

BTW, I've just had a clever friend install a Duet, and plugged into my NAKSA and VSonics I'm listening to Frisky Radio in SF, CA, wow it's good, wonderful trance music!   :drool:

Cheers,

Hugh

Seano

« Reply #110 on: 8 Jun 2010, 10:48 pm »
I went straight there, easy to identify Keith!  He is a committed audiophile with more knowledge of classical music than anyone I have ever met, particularly opera.

However, his fondness for 'Keating: The Musical' and German Beer Hall Songs is a little alarming. 

That said...his immediate reaction upon hearing my old AKSA 100N+ (driving a $15K prototype sub/sat system modelled on Magico Mini's) a few years back was priceless. Nailed me with the twenty questions before we'd gone more than a few bars....

AKSA

« Reply #111 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:48 am »
Sean,

Interesting.  All he wanted to do when he met me was argue!!  But eventually we got along, he definitely played down how good the Soraya was compared to his Cary, which was a good amp, but archetype tube, with all the strengths and weaknesses.

Which demonstrates very clearly that different folks, different strokes, and that while I could admire his taste in opera and the classics 'Keating - The Musical' leaves me speechless.....

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #112 on: 20 Jun 2010, 01:34 pm »
Hey guys.  Just wanted to let you all know I have decided to purchase the Maya when it ready.  I am very excited and it is always good to have something to look forward to in audio.  I have plenty of experience with a lot of amps, both tube and solid state.  I will be sure and post my impressions of the Maya in my system.  Actually I have 4 sets of speakers in the house and 4 other amps so I should be able to give a good idea how the Maya performs in various situations.  My main system has the Tidal Audio Piano loudspeakers.  Check out the John Potis (RIP) review of the Tidal Piano. 

AKSA

« Reply #113 on: 20 Jun 2010, 01:47 pm »
Folks,

I better watch out.   :duh:   I have a customer now I can NEVER disappoint, so you can believe I will be working very hard to maintain the pace......

I've just had word the new pcbs are on their way, too.

Thanks Kieran, gudonya mate,

Hugh

daredevil_kk

« Reply #114 on: 20 Jun 2010, 02:46 pm »
Hi Hugh,

Out of curiosity, do you have any plans to send any of your later amp to any hifi mag for a review? Just like the last TNT one on the aksa. I am pretty sure their jaws will be on the ground by the end of the listening session.

And my mum always tell me to SHARE!!! the good stuff :roll: dun keep it all to yourself. :thumb:

Cheers,
KK

Afterimage

« Reply #115 on: 20 Jun 2010, 05:25 pm »
Folks,

I better watch out.   :duh:   I have a customer now I can NEVER disappoint, so you can believe I will be working very hard to maintain the pace......

I've just had word the new pcbs are on their way, too.

Thanks Kieran, gudonya mate,

Hugh

Relax Hugh.  If it is not my cup of tea, I won't be irresponsible and make a blanket statement the amp is not any good.  Instead I will try and put things within the right context.  Besides, If I were a betting man I doubt I will be in that situation or have to cross that bridge.  I'm sure (hoping) that I will love it and instead will be able to inform others it is indeed a great component. 

« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2010, 10:05 am by Afterimage »

AKSA

« Reply #116 on: 23 Jun 2010, 12:10 pm »
Thanks Kieran!

Yesterday I received the V10 Maya pcbs, and have since begun assembly!!  I'm very pleased with the board, it's very elegant and I reckon will be the best amp yet.......

I will email you with photos and progress as I move forward.  Ah, the excitement of life, huh?

Hugh

Afterimage

« Reply #117 on: 23 Jun 2010, 06:07 pm »
Sounds great.  Now get your bungus to work and build my amp.  I have thristry ears and some hungary speakers waiting.   :D  Just kidding of course.  Great news and yes things of this nature are certainly exciting.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #118 on: 24 Jun 2010, 04:55 am »
Now get your bungus to work and build my amp.

Afterimage, I popped around to see Hugh this morning and can faithfully confirm that I witnessed him working on the initial stuffing of your PCBs.  Then I'm a bit ashamed to say, I enticed him away for a coffee and that stopped him working for a bit.  But I'm sure he's back slaving away this afternoon.  :duh:

Incidentally, the sound of the Maya is not any sort of 'likeability' risk.  I can't see you sending it back.  I've heard the pre production version playing A/B with my 2009 Soraya and it's a wonderful amp.  99% similar but with a touch more of the things the extra power and current handling ability bestow plus the slightly more valve like nature of the zero global feedback topology.  In fact IMO, the strengths of all Hugh's designs is that they solidly straddle the gap between conventional SS and valve sound and virtues including the wonderful drive and control they have over speakers that belies their stated power.

Afterimage

« Reply #119 on: 24 Jun 2010, 07:07 am »
Afterimage, I popped around to see Hugh this morning and can faithfully confirm that I witnessed him working on the initial stuffing of your PCBs.  Then I'm a bit ashamed to say, I enticed him away for a coffee and that stopped him working for a bit.  But I'm sure he's back slaving away this afternoon.  :duh:

Incidentally, the sound of the Maya is not any sort of 'likeability' risk.  I can't see you sending it back.  I've heard the pre production version playing A/B with my 2009 Soraya and it's a wonderful amp.  99% similar but with a touch more of the things the extra power and current handling ability bestow plus the slightly more valve like nature of the zero global feedback topology.  In fact IMO, the strengths of all Hugh's designs is that they solidly straddle the gap between conventional SS and valve sound and virtues including the wonderful drive and control they have over speakers that belies their stated power.

Why make two amps at different price points if they are "99%" similar?    Okay, just playing devils advocate here, if they sound that much alike, then why would Hugh invest a bunch of time and money on the R and D for the Maya and instead just make a more powerful version of the Soraya?  Also, I hope sounding more like valve could be a great thing, as long as it has the treble extension instead of the roll off or recessed treble typical of a lot of valve amps.  Of course that depends on everything else as well.  For example if you have a speaker with an overactive tweeter, valves amps can bring them in balance and make things easier on the ears.