Tyson's Line Force Review

SoCalWJS

Re: Tyson's Line Force Review
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:28 pm »
OK Tyson,

You’ve been Home awhile now. The initial thrill is gone. You’ve had time to reflect on your experiences at Danny’s. You’ve listened to your Super 7’s in your own environment again.

IF Danny ever manages to get the replacement Neo 10’s to sound right........

Are you saving up all your pennies for a pair of the Line Force Speakers?  :green:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #61 on: 10 Jan 2020, 07:37 pm »
OK Tyson,

You’ve been Home awhile now. The initial thrill is gone. You’ve had time to reflect on your experiences at Danny’s. You’ve listened to your Super 7’s in your own environment again.

IF Danny ever manages to get the replacement Neo 10’s to sound right........

Are you saving up all your pennies for a pair of the Line Force Speakers?  :green:

Out of my price range :(  And the only room I could put them in would be the garden level basement where I have the Super 7s and the space is just too small for a line array and separate bass towers. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jan 2020, 08:11 pm »
  A very good reason indeed. Exactly my reason for not using the Pipedream 924 in my room. Needed more space. Downsized with a speaker that fits my room. Best move I made realizing bigger is NOT better. Better is better. Need to give Danny a thank you for suggesting the crossover point to sub. Danny was spot on. Listen to Danny every chance you get.

charles

studley

« Reply #63 on: 12 Jan 2020, 01:09 pm »
@Tyson;   Just to give me some context, have you ever heard Apogees and if so I’d be interested in your comments on similarities / dissimilarities  with the Line Force speakers. TIA.

Tyson

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jan 2020, 02:38 am »
Yes I have, many many many times.  One of my very first "audio buddies" here in Denver had a pair of Apogee Full Range speakers set up in his dedicated basement.  Paired them with dual floor to ceiling DIY subs, and the rest of the equipment was Ayre at first, but eventually all got replaced by Pass Labs, the X250's I believe. 

There's things I love about the Apogees - first, they are big, so they scale up in a way that small speakers just can't.  Second they are open baffle so they have the effortless sound that box speakers have a very hard time replicating.  And with those crazy Pass amps, they were also quite dynamic. 

The downsides - they always sounded somewhat aggressive and with a bit of and edge to the sound.  It was less noticeable at lower volumes but started to rear up with moderate and high levels.  Not sure if it's because they were metal but I suspect it was.  And they never sounded fully integrated even if you sat a fair bit of distance away from them.  Last, but not least, bass without a sub was not strong/deep enough (although it was very clean/musical), and integrating a sub (or subs) was a nightmare. 

In comparison the Lineforce has none of those problems.  One of the things that amazed me so much about this is their ability to go loud on a dynamic peak and not sound hard/aggressive AT ALL.  In fact they are just about the only speaker I've ever heard that can play loud and still sound delicate/beautiful at the same time all hell is breaking loose!  Not even my Super 7s can do that.

Jaytor

« Reply #65 on: 13 Jan 2020, 02:49 am »
I concur on the sound of the Apogees, at least from what I remember in the 80's. I considered a pair of Divas in the last 80's. When I went to listen to them with my wife, she walked out after two minutes saying they gave her a headache - she is more sensitive to high frequency harshness than I am.

kheidenr

« Reply #66 on: 13 Jan 2020, 03:02 am »
Anyone care to give an estimate on what size of room minimum you would need to extract the full performance or close to it of the line force?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #67 on: 13 Jan 2020, 03:31 am »
I have a larger pair of line array in a 10'h x 16'w x 25.2'd acoustically treated room with two 6x12 H-Frame servo subs.  Works very well for me.

kheidenr

« Reply #68 on: 13 Jan 2020, 01:48 pm »
Thanks!  I am looking to move into a new house and my audio room would be 16' x 14' x 9.5'h.  My thought is is that might still not be adequate enough to let the speakers fully perform. 

daveshear

« Reply #69 on: 13 Jan 2020, 10:48 pm »
Tyson, did you have a chance to listen to the NX Oticas?

Wondering how the NX Oticas compare to the Super V's?

Thanks!

David

studley

« Reply #70 on: 13 Jan 2020, 10:51 pm »
Thanks!  I am looking to move into a new house and my audio room would be 16' x 14' x 9.5'h.  My thought is is that might still not be adequate enough to let the speakers fully perform.
Based on my experience of planars / dipoles I would have thought that room would be big enough provided you are happy for them to be at least 6 feet away from the front wall.

Captainhemo

« Reply #71 on: 15 Jan 2020, 07:18 pm »

Thanks!

David

No  Super - V comparison but   his review non the less
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167138.0

jay

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #72 on: 15 Jan 2020, 07:58 pm »
@Tyson;   Just to give me some context, have you ever heard Apogees and if so I’d be interested in your comments on similarities / dissimilarities  with the Line Force speakers. TIA.

Apogees have a warmer character. Not as detailed as well.

charles

AKLegal

« Reply #73 on: 15 Jan 2020, 10:02 pm »

Thanks!

David

I wrote a very brief comparison here.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141654.msg1762014#msg1762014 

Tyson

« Reply #74 on: 13 Feb 2020, 05:54 pm »
Added link to the New Record Day review/impressions of this speaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgoR2PLEZsk

studley

« Reply #75 on: 13 Feb 2020, 11:37 pm »
Interesting video!  Forgive the OT comment, but the reference to chip amps prompts me to say that anyone interested in such amps and who is capable of a bit of DIY should check out the Neurochrome amps.  They are without question the ultimate implementation of the chip amp.  The price / performance ratio is off the chart.  And before anyone accuses me of anything, I have no connection with Neurochrome other than having purchased and made a couple of their amps.   I know there are others on AC who will concur.

maty

« Reply #76 on: 14 Feb 2020, 09:32 am »
Interesting video!  Forgive the OT comment, but the reference to chip amps prompts me to say that anyone interested in such amps...

Re: Amplification ideas to GR Research Studio Monitor
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167210.msg1775187#msg1775187

Folsom DIY7297

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156151.msg1671561#msg1671561

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/309860-folsom-diy7297-amp-antipole-psu.html

-> https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138229.0

by jonny5

-> -> https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138229.msg1763293#msg1763293

Jantzen Z-Superior caps with Miflex KPCU copper foil bypass caps was what I decided.  With the layout, size of capacitors was potentially limited, haha.

I originally had doubts that I could find a cover that could fit the Antek 1218 transformer yet had adequate clearance for the layout in the case. Once I had all the parts in hand, it looked like a 120x57mm toroidal transformer cover would just barely fit and do the job.

Folsom EC7293

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/338275-folsom-ec7293-pvi-powered-frontend-60-120w-8-4ohm.html

The EC7293 uses 2 chip amps in parallel for high power with a discrete error correction frontend which reduces distortion; and has very low memory distortion. High sensitivity makes it perfect for a variety of sources with 8ohm and 4ohm speakers...

Update: bigger image: [&size=huge]
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2020, 07:47 am by maty »

eddysline

« Reply #77 on: 9 Aug 2020, 12:49 am »
Hi Danny, any success in your quest for the neo 10, for the Line force

Captainhemo

« Reply #78 on: 10 Aug 2020, 06:25 pm »
Some   have been able to secure   enough Neo10's from  Parts Express.
We are actually   getting ready to  do a limited run of  the  cabinets  again

Cabinets  come pre-glued with bolt on bases  and cross over  boards as pictured. .All   orders  require 50% up front,   material for these is  not   inexpensive and machining time   is extensive..... there is  a  lot of attention to detail in this design,  nothing is left unfinished.

If interested    captainhemo@shaw.ca

jay

david45

« Reply #79 on: 10 Aug 2020, 06:39 pm »
Some   have been able to secure   enough Neo10's from  Parts Express.
We are actually   getting ready to  do a limited run of  the  cabinets  again

Cabinets  come pre-glued with bolt on bases  and cross over  boards as pictured. .All   orders  require 50% up front,   material for these is  not   inexpensive and machining time   is extensive..... there is  a  lot of attention to detail in this design,  nothing is left unfinished.

If interested    captainhemo@shaw.ca

jay

8)