What's happenning to Hyperion??

George47

What's happenning to Hyperion??
« on: 2 Jun 2010, 12:22 pm »
I am sat here listening to my 938s and thinking what is happening to the company? I think they no longer export to the UK but how are things the US?

Doubleblind

• Arcam AVR600; Oppo BDP83SE;Hyperion 938; Axiom sur
Re: What's happenning to Hyperion??
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2010, 04:20 pm »
I have asked Hyperion about a replacement speaker for the centre channel, and they didn't know when they would have a replacement available.  The feeling I got is with the economy in the tank, that they are not entertaining any production of anything.

They would sell me a new centre channel, but I think they are just clearing shelf stock right now, and I do not get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this company lately.
Which is very sad, not only have people have invested good money, but it is also a great product (for the most part).

George47

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2010, 09:38 pm »
Bummer.....

These speakers sound brilliant and such good value compared to what is out there....Why? ohh Why?

Burn out.... :( :(

RCduck7

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 08:01 pm »
The website is still there. Does this mean they just sell there existing stuff or are they about to release a new model?? Any news about Hyperion?

Doubleblind

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2012, 09:15 pm »
I've heard nothing since I've contacted them about my centre channel; no reviews that I've found;no noise from anywhere; nada; zip.

I wonder where are the company reps that used to pipe in here from time to time?

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2012, 01:54 am »
I've been told that they are likely packing it in.  They just found it too much work.  It was a small, and I think family operation, you know.  They were in it for the music.

Such a shame because they seriously have something with their proprietary drivers.  Their speakers are seriously good.

I have purchased a pair of 938s - my 4th pair of Hyperion speakers in the last six years (two bought new).  I am coming back to them again - hopefully "for good".  I am far less into the hobby now and just want something to enjoy good jazz on.  They are a speaker that is extremely natural and all-around excellent.

Doubleblind

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2012, 03:36 am »
Yes Paul,

Two years ago after E mailing them, I had the same feeling as you stated that they can no longer stay in business.

A real shame.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2012, 01:25 am »
Well, we can't blame them, as it's a personal thing and we have no idea what it entails.

And, we can hope they keep it going.

Or, perhaps, sell the company, or at least their patents!

It'd be great if Mr. Wu would chime in here.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2012, 11:56 am »
Albert Wu is no longer with the company. :(

Doubleblind

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2012, 04:20 pm »
dracule1,

I believe that the company is no longer with us either.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2012, 07:12 am »
Unfortunately, after Albert Wu left, the company's support of customers has deteriorated. The company's vision is stagnant and future uncertain. I might buy a pair of the 968s before the company goes under.  The prices have dropped significantly. I can't think of a better dynamic multi-way speaker for under 12 grand.  With better crossover parts and a little tweaking, I think these speakers will rival any speaker under 30 grand out there in terms of sound quality and ease of set up and drivability.

ndeslions

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2012, 03:17 pm »
Yes but the problem is the proprietary drivers.
There was a lot of problems with the 968 medium drivers, i personally had one faulty and i know two others owners with the same problem.
The 968 are a GREAT speaker but proprietary drivers with no customer support will not give a happy end.

RCduck7

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2012, 06:22 pm »
Yes but the problem is the proprietary drivers.
There was a lot of problems with the 968 medium drivers, i personally had one faulty and i know two others owners with the same problem.
The 968 are a GREAT speaker but proprietary drivers with no customer support will not give a happy end.

Yep, i read a horror story on a french forum about this. He traded his new 968 for his old 938 again.
I don't know if this  http://www.iar-80.com/page157.html anything to do with THE problem. Either way, a home audition before buying is the only way to go for this one.