iFI iDac, Micromega MyDAC, Schiit Bifrost

joegator81

iFI iDac, Micromega MyDAC, Schiit Bifrost
« on: 25 Mar 2013, 09:33 pm »
Not sure if this is the right forum but...

My system currently consists of salk songtowers, parasound classic pre, NAD c270 power, an Epik legend sub. Analog is via a Clearaudio Concept w/ Concept MC through a Phonomena II phono pre. Digital is through an Oppo 83 standard.

I am very happy w/ analog. No complaints there. Though the oppo quite behind the analog setup it isn't bad per se. What I want to do is go the computer route w/ my Toshiba laptop connected into a DAC. I would like a dac that can best the oppo for when I want to play blu rays, sacds, and dvd-a's. Out of all the reviews I have read the iFi iDAC sounds like what I would most enjoy but it has only one USB input and is the most expensive (including the separate power supply). the others will allow me to also connect the oppo. The problem is that in all the reviews I have read and from what people on the forums are saying, the USB implementation on the MyDAC and Bifrost lags behind the SPDIF. So....

1. How do these DAC's stack up against the oppo?

2. Would I be better off getting an USB/SPDIF converter if I go the MyDAC or Bifrost route?

3. And probably most importantly, which of these would you guys go for?

Just to give you a hint to what I am looking for, I like warmth if I have to err on any side of neutral. The iFi's seem to be viewed most unanimously as being the most analog like of the group, but w/ the most limited of connections. The bifrost reviews all seem to be positive (after significant burn in) but the reasons seem to be all over the place, some say warm w/ a lot of bass, others disagree. The MyDAC reviews seem pretty consistent, it excels in airiness, imaging, naturalness, but lacks in the low end.

so what say you?

randytsuch

Re: iFI iDac, Micromega MyDAC, Schiit Bifrost
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm »
Never heard the others, bought the iFi earlier this year, and am happy with it.

I only bought the iDAC, not the seperate power module.  From the reviews, it would sound better with the power module, but it sounds good without it.

Randy

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm »
I have a Shiit Audio Bifrost. I would call it neutral not warm. It is also not forward sounding, but relaxed. I do like it for the price point.
The USB card is upgradable, so says Schiit. That way you can upgrade the card to improve the sound as technology advances.

It does not have a headphone input, much like Benchmark DAC1 USB, so it cannot double as a headphone amp. Some DACs can be a preamp, headphone amp and DAC rolled into one. But nevertheless I do like it alot, and as it burns in, it does sound better.

joegator81

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:36 am »
geo, are you using the USB or going another route? I have heard that the usb implementation is good but not as good as the spdif on the schiit. have you compared? I'm willing to forgo the usb card for now and buy an outboard USB/SPDIF converter if that will produce better results.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2013, 12:48 am »
geo, are you using the USB or going another route? I have heard that the usb implementation is good but not as good as the spdif on the schiit. have you compared? I'm willing to forgo the usb card for now and buy an outboard USB/SPDIF converter if that will produce better results.

I am not using the USB option. In fact, I have the NON-USB version of the Bifrost. Schiit Audio sells a USB version and NON-USB version for about $100 less. But I think their implementation of a USB card is top notch. I did not get it because my Benchmark has that option and I am only using one stereo for my music files on computer. The Bifrost goes to a Pure I-20 dock using MOG via SPDIF and a CD player via COAX. I think the COAX and SPDIF sounds great playing CDs or on my IPhone with MOG.
One thing to keep in mind if you get one though. The unit really needs 200 to 500hrs of burn in time. Mine is really sounding better now. It's a great DAC in a steady stream of DACs out in the audio world to chose from.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:12 am »
Hi Joegartor81.

I have had a Bifrost in my setup with SongTowers for more than year and agree that it is a very neutral DAC. I recently got hooked on DSD, however, so the Bifrost is for sale. PM me if interested.

joegator81

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:24 pm »
Hi Joegartor81.

I have had a Bifrost in my setup with SongTowers for more than year and agree that it is a very neutral DAC. I recently got hooked on DSD, however, so the Bifrost is for sale. PM me if interested.

Thanks Atl, i will keep that in mind. This is a very difficult decision, so many good dac's in this price range.
Does your bifrost have USB?

joegator81

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:26 pm »
I'm also considering the Halide HD DAC. Any opinions?

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:28 pm »
Thanks Atl, i will keep that in mind. This is a very difficult decision, so many good dac's in this price range.
Does your bifrost have USB?

Just FYI to everyone, my Bifrost is now sold.

avta

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2013, 06:56 pm »
I've had a Micromega Mydac for about a month and am quite satisfied with its performance. I also have an Anedio DAC1 and previously had a Wadia 521 dac. I was looking to upgrade performance but was leery of spending too much as dac technology seems to be be changing rapidly at least as far as bang-for-your-buck goes. The Mydac is quite reasonable in price ( I paid $369 ) and has a 10 yr Warranty. It has gotten some excellent reviews ( Robert Harley of The Absolute Sound ) which I would agree with. It has usb implementation although I have not used that as yet. I have not heard the Schiit or iFi dacs.

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
From the BAAS "Budget" DAC Shootout
« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2013, 05:14 am »
Two of these three DACs were featured in a Bay Area Audiophile Society (BAAS) event recently. The third, the MyDAC, I tried in my system.

You can get some insights from our blog (also includes the Halide).

While the Halide was my favorite, it is limited to 96kHz and the Bifrost was very close in SQ. What's interesting is that the two - Halide and Bifrost - sound nothing alike. The Halide is very neutral. Nothing calls itself out (but it's all there). The Bifrost is uncolored but paints the scene in bolder strokes. The notes have more body, and maybe just a touch of bloom.

The MyDAC is quite competent, but looks and feels like a toy (if that matters).

I had no connection difficulties with the Bifrost's USB port, and I wouldn't bother with an external converter.

Bob
President, BAAS

http://baasnotes.com/blog/2013/01/10/the-great-baas-budget-dac-shootout/

rpf

« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2013, 07:18 am »
I have the Mydac and find it an excellent performer for the money. The bass and dynamics can be significantly improved by replacing the very thin stock cord with an aftermarket power cord, even an inexpensive Pangea (I'm using the Pangea AC14SE). The fact that the case is plastic does not bother me.

I have not heard the other DACs.

joegator81

« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2013, 08:30 pm »
Thanks for all of the responses. It helps to put some pro reviews into perspective. Especially those of the Bifrost and Micromega which all seem to be positive but in the case of the Mydac to different degrees (an upgraded power cable seems like a great idea) and in the case of the Bifrost the reviews were all positive to the same extent but due to seemingly different characteristics (one review liked it and described it as less warm and another liked it and thought it was on the warm side - and the usb impressions are all over the place). I have to admit the ifi and halide are very tempting but the single input is a bit limiting.

geowak

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:33 am »
One other thing, as a side note. Food for thought...

I have tried my digital audio system in a number of different configurations. I do not use an analog source at all (such as a turntable).
What surprised me, was when I used my Benchmark DAC1 USB in a preamp/DAC config connected to a digital source. When I bypassed a preamp altogether, I had an incredible clean sound, that was better than with the preamp inserted.

Keep in mind, that one must pick a DAC that doubles as a quality preamp. My Benchmark does this in a wonderful way.

So keeping the signal path simple, and taking out a component, gave better sound. This gives credibility to all those audiophiles out there that support the idea "the preamp is the most critical component in the audio chain".

If you are looking for a simple preamp, or can find a DAC that will act as a DAC and a quality preamp, you might find this works very well. I know Peachtree is getting alot of positive reviews now for an affordable option, although I have never heard one. I think one version has a tube, which would give you the warm sound you seek. One guy has an integrated/DAC by Peachtree connected to his to his Maggies 1.6 with tremendous results.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115197.0

One could do the same with thier DAC/PRE. It might sound very good.

joegator81

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2013, 12:42 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a great deal on a Halide DAC HD w/ 7m Wireworld USB cable and couldnt pass it up. The reviews seem to be fairly consistent in claiming that it has an "analogue" sense of ease and smoothness, which sounds great to me as i love my turntable rig. My only reservation was that it features only a a USB input but considering that i just recently sold almost all of my 1200 cd's (all stored on two seperate hard drives) thats really not so much of a problem (however, i still have a few sacds and dvda's that won't reap the benefits). Hopefully i get it by the end of next week and then the fun will begin and maybe my cartridge can get a little bit of a break.

geowak

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2013, 12:32 pm »
Good luck with the Halide. It appears to be a smart design for a USB Dac.
I have not heard one, keep us posted as you use it.

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2013, 06:21 pm »
I think that you'll be more than pleased with the Halide. Great product, and integration with the quality USB cable is a plus.

Bob

joegator81

« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2013, 06:38 pm »
The Halide arrived today. So far i am quite happy with what i am hearing. I haven't had the time to sit down and do any critical listening but i did download a Dean Peer album and Stone Temple Pilots Core off of HDtracks today (both 24/96, hopefully not upconverted). I've just done a quick back and forth between my CD download of "creep" from the Core album and the 24/96 version and i can say that i easily prefer the 24/96 but again this is not a critical listening session so i won't specify why at this time other than the obvious was a more well rounded and substantial low end.

I would love to be able to compare the Halide to my original HRT music streamer but it has gone the way of the dodo and doesn't want to work anymore so that won't be possible i'm afraid. It probably wouldn't be much of a contest anyway. When i get a chance i will try and do some comparisons with my Oppo BDP 83. I have some DVD-A's that i want to download to my harddrive so as soon as i get an extractor i will try to compare the downloads through the halide and the discs through the oppo. Again, i think the oppo 83 is a good cd player but i honestly wasn't that impressed with the difference between standard red book and higher rez. I may try to compare my analog rig to the halide as well.

I will keep ya posted.