The Bully

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: The Bully
« Reply #60 on: 3 Nov 2023, 02:29 am »
It sounds like someone can't be bothered to write when they're too busy having fun listening.

I'm guessing your first listening party went something like this?

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #61 on: 3 Nov 2023, 02:50 am »
Care to spill a bit more, to add to Hobbes comments in the Wilson thread?

For what it’s worth, when I spoke to Danny this afternoon about my Wilson speaker, he was effusive in praise of the Bully speaker. Raved about it.  He remarked at how well it was imaging with the larger baffle, and 94dB. It sounded like he was surprised about just how well it was imaging. It sounds like he really has been having fun just cranking them in his house.  As for the imaging for that speaker… the response / decay plot for the X-CS Bravo speaker seem to bear that out. If you look closely at measurements for X-CS Bravo, it’s one of the best measuring speakers GR has, and the smaller 5.25” drivers are super fast. So, pair those drivers on a larger baffle (increase sensitivity) and put a servo sub in it… no surprise that it’s a hoot!

I mentioned to Danny whether the 6.5” drivers are even needed for “The Beast”… which he confirmed would have a second servo sub front facing and be floorstanding speaker. One thing is for sure… whether they go with the larger drivers or not, they are already thrilled with the performance / direction.

It’s just one more speaker that gives me a rash / I’d like to own.

mkrawcz

« Reply #62 on: 3 Nov 2023, 12:23 pm »
For what it’s worth, when I spoke to Danny this afternoon about my Wilson speaker, he was effusive in praise of the Bully speaker. Raved about it.  He remarked at how well it was imaging with the larger baffle, and 94dB. It sounded like he was surprised about just how well it was imaging.
This is 100% what I was expecting to happen with the Bully vs the Brute. It must be the MTM configuration. In my experience, the NX-Oticas(MTM) have a much more realistic and focused image than the NX-Studios.

goggle1824

« Reply #63 on: 3 Nov 2023, 12:26 pm »
Because size matters?  :scratch:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #64 on: 3 Nov 2023, 02:09 pm »
Hobbs / Danny

Did you guys try the Brute’s woofer with the Bully’s MTM?

I’m sure the Bully is amazing but I’m just thinking a step in between would make my wallet a little happier.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 3 Nov 2023, 02:27 pm »
Because size matters?  :scratch:

It’s the same reason I’ve always preferred a pair of X-CS Encores to the X-LS Encore in everything but bass extension.  Since bass extension is what subwoofers are for I’ll take the CS any day.

goggle1824

« Reply #66 on: 3 Nov 2023, 02:35 pm »
That’s actually a pretty interesting take Mike, thanks for sharing that. 👊🏼👍🏼

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #67 on: 6 Nov 2023, 12:26 pm »
Correct. Efficiency typically is measured by the output of a speaker given 1 Watt (or 2.83V) of power and measured at 1 meter away. Though some manufacturers use different metrics.
However, efficiency is determined by the raw efficiency of the drivers after baffle step it taken into account.
On an infinite baffle, a woofer may measure ~90dB at 1W 1M without a network, but if you put that same driver into a narrow baffle, the final efficiency with a network attached may be closer 85-87db.

Hobbs great to see you talking in metric are you an ozzie too. Cmon say Kilometer with me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #68 on: 8 Nov 2023, 09:01 pm »
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2023, 11:52 pm by jmimac351 »

Early B.

« Reply #69 on: 8 Nov 2023, 11:04 pm »
The Bully looks impressive. Of course, the first thing I thought about was swapping out the X-CS drivers for NX-Otica drivers. 8) 

Presb4

« Reply #70 on: 11 Nov 2023, 07:14 pm »
The Bully looks impressive. Of course, the first thing I thought about was swapping out the X-CS drivers for NX-Otica drivers. 8)

I have thought about this too.
Danny, can you comment on the decision process behind why you went with the M130 vs other drivers in your arsenal....
Other than cost, what were the considerations?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #71 on: 11 Nov 2023, 07:54 pm »
That’s one impressive speaker!

I know they are very different, but I wonder how a pair of NX-Extremes + a pair of OB subs would compare.

George

Danny Richie

« Reply #72 on: 13 Nov 2023, 05:08 pm »
I have thought about this too.
Danny, can you comment on the decision process behind why you went with the M130 vs other drivers in your arsenal....
Other than cost, what were the considerations?

The M-130's are really good. They also can handle a small sealed air space. A couple of 16 ohm NQ165 woofers would need more air volume than this whole speaker.

maty

« Reply #73 on: 3 Mar 2024, 06:56 pm »
GR Research The Bully, sound clips:

[8:41] The Ultimate Audiophile Streamer!? Over Hyped or Hidden Gem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT_itFMXx0U&t=521s

BrandonB

« Reply #74 on: 3 Mar 2024, 09:01 pm »
GR Research The Bully, sound clips:

[8:41] The Ultimate Audiophile Streamer!? Over Hyped or Hidden Gem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT_itFMXx0U&t=521s

I have had the opportunity to listen to  these speakers in person and they sound really good!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 3 Mar 2024, 09:40 pm »
The Bully's have quickly become one of my favorite speakers.
Incredibly fast and dynamic which is killer for Rock music, they are a speaker you can keep turning up, and they only continue to become fun and more engaging, especially when most other (i.e. smaller) speakers would at least start to sounding strained.

They aren't quite as effortless nor do they disappear quite as well as something like the NX-Tremes, however, they absolutely hold their own, especially as a big, efficient, rock-out speaker.
Having also heard them in Ron's room, their sense of scale, especially soundstage width, is really something special on well recorded/mastered tracks.
Even songs I don't normally care for, are just a lot fun and really engaging to listen to.

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #76 on: Yesterday at 10:08 pm »
How close to the front wall can the Bully's be placed? My room is short front-to-back (13.5') so I need to keep everything "tight".