Purist is in the House

guest1632

Purist is in the House
« on: 16 Jul 2004, 05:14 am »
I just got my Purist pre, and couldn't wait to hook it up. Well, it's now hooked up. The Lynn 75W amp is hooked up via 5 feet each side to some 16 gauge wire to some crummy little JVC speakers that were on hand.
On the source is a JVC vintage 90's or earlier cdplayer, hooked up by a pair of 6FT Radshack cables. I turned on the amp, then the Purist, and turned it up to about 12 o'c. I heard a buzzing sound out of the system and realized that I had nothing plugged in to any of the imputs. Once I plugged in the player, the buzzing for that imput. stopped.  Believe it or
not, I do hear a difference between the 0 and 6 DB setting? Not sure what it is, so I won't for the moment care. Didn't think it was bad or anything, maybe
more intenseness or dynamics. Even with this porr setup, I am struck with just how quiet the background or lack of a background noise there is, or should I say, isn't.
Now this is a good sign. That noise generator came in handy already. I used it to make sure that the speakers were in phase.  The buzzing or ground problem I suspect is due to the fact that this house, that I am staying in,  uses only two prong plugs. People were right when they said this sucker is heavy. Popping the lid, shows the construction to be well done.
Thanks Curt, for making a darn good product.