Tyson's Review of the GR Research LGK 2.1

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Tyson's Review of the GR Research LGK 2.1
« on: 7 Feb 2024, 09:11 pm »
So I built the LGK 2.1's to replace the LGK 2.0's that I had built previously.  Since a lot of people haven't heard both of these speakers and might  be interested in how the 2.1 does in various applications, I thought I'd do a review on my pair. 

Here's the build thread for the 2.1 that I did with my son, if anyone wants to see how easy it is to build them (spoiler alert, they were pretty easy):

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188150.0

Use Case - regular bookshelf speaker in a high end system

I actually pulled the speakers very far forward so they could actually breath in my setup.  I'd just bunched them in the middle for the sake of getting a good picture.  All listening tests were conducted with the speakers pulled out.

Let me talk about their limitations before I get to their strengths.  In a big space and pulled out from the walls, they need a subwoofer.  Without a sub, the bass is clean and quick, but not nearly enough punch.  Also you need to sit in the sweet spot for the magic to happen.  That's pretty much it for weaknesses.

Imaging and soundstage.  Really just incredible how big they sound and how much of the room the fill up.  Normally I am not a fan of 'full range' drivers because very often they are way too beamy and have a crazy small sweet spot.  Not here.  The 2.1's have relatively good off axis dispersion and a decently sized sweet spot.  When you are in that sweet spot, the imaging and soundstage is among the best I've ever heard. 

Tonality.  Spot on.  Even better than the 2.0.  In fact IME the 2.0 is a bit dark sounding and the 2.1 is pretty much spot on, tone wise.  This makes listening to a wide variety of recordings very enjoyable. 

Midrange.  Going from the 2.0 to the 2.1 really freed up the midrange.  The 2.1's play cleaner and louder than the 2.0's could.  Normally I am not a big fan of box speakers but the 2.1's are an exception.  Really good clean/pure midrange that really shined on difficult material like female vocals.

Bass.  The 2.0 and the 2.1 both extend to about the same place in my room (70hz) but the 2.1 is way cleaner and more musical.  Having a dedicate 5 inch woofer for the bass makes all the difference. 

Comparisons to a regular bookshelf speaker (like the NX-Studios).. The Studio's (based on memory) have much stronger bass and beat the 2.1's in every area I can think of.  But that's not the surprising part.  The surprising part is just how close the 2.1's get, and for a lot less money. 

Use Case - As a desktop monitor

In our use case, there's no sub and the speakers are jammed up against the wall by the computer monitor. 

There were 2 really surprising things in this setup.

First, the bass was much punchier.  You can use them like this without a sub and you're fine.

Second, even sitting VERY CLOSE and having the overall space being VERY CRAMPED, the soundstage still expanded way beyond the walls by the desk.  I had a friend come over to listen just to do a sanity check (because I'd made the speakers myself there's always the chance of 'proud papa syndrome' coloring your experience).  My friend was just as astonished as I was. 

Conclusion?  If you are looking for a pair of small-ish speakers for use in a cramped space, the 2.1's are a no brainer.  Easy to build and sound GREAT.

Tyson

Re: Tyson's Review of the GR Research LGK 2.1
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2024, 10:06 pm »
One more note.  Burn in.  These guys take a long time to burn in.  About 200 hours of me beating on them pretty hard before the really smoothed out and fully opened up. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2024, 05:05 am »
I really enjoyed the 2.1s when I assembled the initial test pair and burned them in for about a week.
Offloading the bass and lower-mids to the dedicated woofer really allows the LGK to shine, keeping a lot of the phase coherency that wide-band drivers are known for while also giving the speaker a lot more power handling.
I also love the LGK2.4s for a lot of the same reasons.
Vocals and string instruments really shine in these models they just sound really natural.
Paired with a good subwoofer (or two) and they make for a really tough combo to beat.

maty

« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2024, 11:07 am »
First, congratulations.

Second, how does it perform with a large orchestral mass? It is the most demanding type of recording for music equipment, whether it is the loudspeakers or the amplifier. I ask this because of the full-range of only 3" and the great dynamic range usual in such recordings.

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2024, 09:22 pm »
I really enjoyed the 2.1s when I assembled the initial test pair and burned them in for about a week.
Offloading the bass and lower-mids to the dedicated woofer really allows the LGK to shine, keeping a lot of the phase coherency that wide-band drivers are known for while also giving the speaker a lot more power handling.
I also love the LGK2.4s for a lot of the same reasons.
Vocals and string instruments really shine in these models they just sound really natural.
Paired with a good subwoofer (or two) and they make for a really tough combo to beat.

Oh yeah, I ran mine with a pair of OB subs and they sounded like really really good full range speakers. 

First, congratulations.

Second, how does it perform with a large orchestral mass? It is the most demanding type of recording for music equipment, whether it is the loudspeakers or the amplifier. I ask this because of the full-range of only 3" and the great dynamic range usual in such recordings.

For which use case are we talking?  For a main hifi system, I'd probably build out the NX-Studios which are still affordable but are true reference level speakers.

But if you're looking at a 2nd system or a desktop setup where you are sitting nearfield?  Then the LGK 2.1 is actually the better choice.

goggle1824

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2024, 02:48 pm »
Tyson, kind of a strange thought here but thought I’d give it a go and ask…

Do you think this kit would work as small instrument monitors for an electronic piano, the Rowland FP-10 digital piano? I’ve read the primary shortcoming of this beginner level instrument are the built-in speakers and powered monitors are often recommended. I thought maybe this kit with one of the newer, decent performing Class D amps may be just the ticket to get this piano sounding very good vs buying industry specific powered monitors, like Mackies or JBL or the like. 🤔

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2024, 06:49 pm »
Perfect for that.  Especially if you are listening nearfield. 

goggle1824

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2024, 10:50 pm »
Yep, that’s the plan! Will probably set them on or just above the piano itself.

Thanks for your response! Appreciate you.

AK-Grwn_v2

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2024, 04:51 am »
Hijacking this thread to show off my 2.1, too! They are in my office with blue jeans cables and schiit products. Settled on a small emotiva sub that was on sale a short while ago. Also using the GR desk top stands to get the speakers to just the right height.

These are perfect for playing quiet music while I am sitting close up and focused on something, or turning up and pushing the chair back 3-4 feet to sit back and relax for a couple songs.

These do sound great. My only complaint is I'm sure the bravos and encores could fit on the desk, too, but I would have to build them to find out which one would be better!  :|

mkrawcz

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2024, 10:19 am »
These do sound great. My only complaint is I'm sure the bravos and encores could fit on the desk, too, but I would have to build them to find out which one would be better!  :|
For near field listening, I’m not sure there is anything better than the 2.1.