NuPrime and Revel

jbgaudio

NuPrime and Revel
« on: 17 Sep 2021, 03:51 pm »
Been an audiophile for many decades, now, but after a long static period, am proceeding with a slow upgrade of my system.  Next on the list is a new power amp to replace my Forte Model 5.
Considering ST-9, ST-9x, and ST-10.  Will pair with my Revel Performa F228Be's.  Anyone have any experience or suggestions?
My listening tastes run the vast spectrum from classical, jazz, rock, vocals, folk, etc.
Will be feeding this amp with an iFi Pro iDSD unit and AQ Red River balanced interconnects. 

John Casler

Re: NuPrime and Revel
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2021, 06:56 pm »
I am a NuPRIME Dealer, and Consultant.

I have several NuPRIME/REVEL combos out there, and all are very happy.

Your particular speaker should work exceptionally well due to the high efficiency (90db) and 8 ohm impedance.

All of the amps you are considering either have Mono versions, or can be bridged to Mono, so for maximum performance that should be a consideration.

I might also add the STA AMG to your list if the budget is there.

jbgaudio

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2021, 03:50 pm »
Thanks for this.  Do you know if any of your customers have Revels with the beryllium tweeters?  Also, my understanding is that NuPrime does not recommend the AMG STA for rock music, which is why I left it off my list.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2021, 06:00 pm »
Thanks for this.  Do you know if any of your customers have Revels with the beryllium tweeters?  Also, my understanding is that NuPrime does not recommend the AMG STA for rock music, which is why I left it off my list.

I don't know about the customers with REVEL, but I have a System with the AMG STA and the STARKE Sound HALO IC H3 with the Beryllium Tweeters, and they love it.

I might also mention that I am not aware of a NuPRIME position that ROCK is not excellent with the AMG.

Floyd47

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2021, 01:12 am »
I am a NuPRIME Dealer, and Consultant.

I have several NuPRIME/REVEL combos out there, and all are very happy.

Your particular speaker should work exceptionally well due to the high efficiency (90db) and 8 ohm impedance.

All of the amps you are considering either have Mono versions, or can be bridged to Mono, so for maximum performance that should be a consideration.

I might also add the STA AMG to your list if the budget is there.

I recently purchased some Revel F206s and have an unused NuPrime STA-6. Do you think the STA-6 in stereo mode would be a good match for the F206s, or should I use an amp with more power? The F206s are 8 ohm, but I've seen people say they are a bit power hungry.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2021, 09:46 pm »
I recently purchased some Revel F206s and have an unused NuPrime STA-6. Do you think the STA-6 in stereo mode would be a good match for the F206s, or should I use an amp with more power? The F206s are 8 ohm, but I've seen people say they are a bit power hungry.

Except for the most "mild" listening, the STA-6 will not provide higher SPLs.

Floyd47

« Reply #6 on: 29 Nov 2021, 03:50 pm »
Except for the most "mild" listening, the STA-6 will not provide higher SPLs.

I figured that may be the case. Thanks for the insight.

Do you think the STA-9 would be a good fit or would I still need to go bigger?

jonbee

« Reply #7 on: 29 Nov 2021, 04:31 pm »
Do you think the STA-9 would be a good fit or would I still need to go bigger?
The 9 would be adequate, but if you want to get the best out of them the 10 or IDA-16 are better matches- more open and with a much better grip on the bottom end.