Amp to pair with SongTowers?

devine

Amp to pair with SongTowers?
« on: 11 Feb 2009, 05:21 am »
As I posted in another thread, I've just placed an order for a pair of SongTower QWTs and I can't wait for them to arrive!

In the meantime, I've turned my attention to my amp.  I want to get the most out of the speakers and I know that AVA amps are highly recommended.  I also know that this topic has been raised before but I'm hoping to get some feedback on amps I already own as you'll see below.

I'm hoping to use an amp I already own but I'm open to selling them all and getting a new one.  Regardless of the recommendations I will do the practical thing and listen to them when the speakers arrive and decide what sounds best and where to go from there but I would be interested in your feedback just the same.  I'm also curious about tube amps and wonder if the entry-level Jolida JD102B would provide enough power (I listen to rock/hard rock primarily and sometime at moderate to loud volumes). 

I picked up several amps and other equipment when I bought my Magnepan 3.5Rs 3 years ago and I never got around to selling the equipment I decided not to use.  So here's my current "inventory":
2 Classe DR-15s (stereo: 175wpc/8ohms, 350wpc/4ohms, mono: 700wpc/8ohms, 1400wpc/4 ohms) - used these to drive the maggies which need a lot of power
2 Classe CA-100s (stereo: 100wpc/8ohms, 200wpc/4ohms, mono: 200wpc/8ohms, 400wpc/4 ohms)
1 McIntosh MC2120 (120wpc)
1 B&K Reference 3220 (3-channels, 220wpc/8ohms, 325wpc/4ohms) - planned to use this for the center and rears but never got around to buying the speakers
1 Bel Canto eVo 200.2 (100wpc/8ohms, 200wpc/4 ohms )

2 Benchmark DAC1s (1 black, 1 silver) - will use one of these as a pre-amp
1 Bel Canto DAC2 - plan to sell this as I prefer the volume control and headphone jacks on the Benchmark
REL Strata III sub - not sure if I'll need to keep this, hoping the bass in the STs goes low enough for me in my small living room (14' wide and 15' deep with the main listening position about 10' back and dead center in the room)

I just picked up a Denon 2809 which will be a pre-amp for HT but I'll use the Benchmark DAC1 as a pre-amp for music with a Sonos as my digital source (FLACs).

Any predictions about what will sound the best with the STs?
Other amps (AVA, Wyred, Jolida) that I should consider instead?  If so please state the model # so I can begin researching :-)
Will a tube amp really sound different/better than the amps I already own?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Dan

R Swerdlow

Re: Amp to pair with SongTowers?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2009, 04:07 pm »
Dan - Thats quite an inventory you have.

Classe DR-15 (stereo: 175wpc/8ohms, 350wpc/4ohms)

Classe CA-100 (stereo: 100wpc/8ohms, 200wpc/4ohms)

McIntosh MC2120 (120wpc)

B&K Reference 3220 (3-channels, 220wpc/8ohms, 325wpc/4ohms)

Bel Canto eVo 200.2 (100wpc/8ohms, 200wpc/4 ohms)

Any of them should provide plenty of power for your SongTowers.  As a guess, I would go with the Classe DR-15.  When it comes to the various sounds produced by amplifiers, I'm an agnostic.  Others will certainly chime in with their 2¢, but I think most everyone will agree that greater power is an advantage because it avoids situations where an amp goes into clipping.

I have heard my SongTowers driven by a 75 wpc Denon receiver, a 100 wpc Outlaw stereo receiver, and by a 200 wpc B&K external amp coupled to the Denon receiver (which is what I now use).  All of them were powerful enough to sound good.

If you are interested in selling that 3-channel B&K amp, I might be interested.  Send me a PM.

Richard

Warpdrv

• There's NO ESCAPING the SoundScape !!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:33 pm »
First post here....    thought I would chime in, and I'm Nuance will also confirm.

He brought his RT SongTowers over to my house, we hooked them up to my D-Sonic 2000-5 amp with 3x500 2x250.
His speakers sounded spectacular - clean clear and endless dynamics, the power and punch from the bass was extremely articulate, midrange full, and the ribbon sounded absolutely amazing.

Because of the affinity I have had with this amp running my Paradigm Sig S4's I decided to take another leap and ordered a Wyred4Sound MC7 to handle my other system with the same configuration but adding 2 more rear channels.

The 1000ASP modules are fantastic - effortless and will awe you.

Either company offers a trial, where other companies are less likely to offer you this, it would be worth a shot in your own home. I can only offer you my opinion but I think its valid and worth checking out. The sonics on these amps are what people say they are at a better price then the much bigger name brands.

For what you are willing to pay for the other amps you have posted, why not audition with no strings attached.

cdorval1

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2009, 05:51 am »
Dan,

Congrats on choosing the Songtowers.  They're a fantastic value.  I've heard nothing else even close for under $2000--and nothing with this kind of build and parts quality.

The only one of your amps I'm familiar with is the McIntosh 2120, and I'd guess that'd be a good match.  The speakers are fairly efficient, and 120 watts is plenty for any music.

I've used my Songtowers for long periods with both the AVA Ultimate 70 (tube amp using a Dynaco ST70 chassis) at 33 watts/channel and the AVA Omegastar 240EX (solid state, 120 watts/channel).  For practical reasons, I use the 240EX most of the time--it has great dynamics, detail and bottom end.  But I prefer the tube amp.  I've never found its power inadequate, and these speakers seem almost designed to take advantage of all of tube amplification's benefits--spectacular midrange and high-range clarity and fullness and a natural low end.  The imaging is amazing.  I can listen all day--especially to voices.

When you get your Songtowers you might want to spend some serious time with both ss and tube amps with all the music you like most.

Have fun with your new speakers!

Craig

fishinbob

« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:28 pm »
Dan,

The only one of your amps I'm familiar with is the McIntosh 2120, and I'd guess that'd be a good match.  The speakers are fairly efficient, and 120 watts is plenty for any music.

Though not in current use, I have run my RTs with my 2125 with its C29 companion just for fun and found out why I've kept them for all these years. 120 wpc (@ 8 ohm) will be more than enough ss power for the SongTowers. In fact, most of the time mine are driven by my Yamaha @ 110 wpc, and so far so good, however I can clip both amps if I get to feeling a little insane. On the Mac, the output limit lights caught my attention on its first run through, as I indeed was rocking out to what seemed, a yet tolerable volume to me at least. The VUs pretty much show that these speakers can give the Mac plenty of work but I've never heard it sound better.  :thumb:

devine

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2009, 02:32 pm »
Thanks for the input/feedback everyone.

earthbound

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:37 pm »
Jim said that I would have absolutely no problem driving the STs with my Denon 3808CI receiver. I'll be placing an order for the STs with SC center as soon as I can swing the cash. Thanks Jim for replying so quickly.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:43 pm »
Jim said that I would have absolutely no problem driving the STs with my Denon 3808CI receiver. I'll be placing an order for the STs with SC center as soon as I can swing the cash. Thanks Jim for replying so quickly.

He is absolutely correct (as if there was any doubt).   :thumb:

I briefly had three ST's being driven by the 3808 with no issues.

Of course, I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't mention that the ATI 1506 did a better job than the Denon.   aa

BTW, I have also had excellent results with a few other amps:

Atma-Sphere MA-1's - ok, this is not a likely pairing, but it sounded stunning!!

Nelson Pass DYI design XA-J amp - 100+ watts of Class A solid state goodness!

George

Crackinjahcs

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:46 pm »
I use an Onkyo TX-SR876 (140wpc @ 8 ohms) to drive my SongTowers and I've had no issues.

earthbound

« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2009, 06:42 pm »

He is absolutely correct (as if there was any doubt).   :thumb:

I briefly had three ST's being driven by the 3808 with no issues.

Of course, I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't mention that the ATI 1506 did a better job than the Denon.   aa

BTW, I have also had excellent results with a few other amps:

Atma-Sphere MA-1's - ok, this is not a likely pairing, but it sounded stunning!!

Nelson Pass DYI design XA-J amp - 100+ watts of Class A solid state goodness!

George

And I would be remiss if I didn't warn you high-enders not to let people like me near your amps and stuff lest we drool all over them and short them out!  :D