Amp Reccomendation

Qwertyzor

Amp Reccomendation
« on: 30 Nov 2008, 12:30 am »
I've got a pair of SongTowers on order, along with a Center and Surrounds (7.1).

I've been looking at the Emotiva MPS-2. With the current 25% off sale, the Outlaw 7700 is similar in price (a bit cheaper).

I will be getting the Emotiva UMC-1 or the Outlaw 997 processor. I'd prefer the Outlaw, but if it doesn't come out this year it'll probably be the Emotiva.

Any reccomendations?

Also, I've noticed they are both rated for 300 Watts @ 4 ohms, whereas the Songtowers are rated for 250 max. Could this be a problem?

orthobiz

Re: Amp Reccomendation
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2008, 12:39 am »
check out the AVA site here:
Audio by Van Alstine.

Paul

PMAT

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2008, 01:53 am »
Forget the ratings as the speakers are efficient enough. As long as you are 100 real watts/channel you will be good.The Emotiva products sometimes get delayed. I would probably check out the home theater/video circle here, lots of good help there for you. I have been very happy with the Integra system I bought. I run B&W speakers for Home theater only. Your speaker system will be fantastic! Good luck.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2008, 03:02 am »
check out the AVA site here:
Audio by Van Alstine.

+1  Also check out Wyred 4 Sound, Parasound Halo, McCormack, Musical Fidelity, Audio Research, Rotel, etc.

clipped

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2008, 01:05 pm »
Orthobiz is right on, check out AVA  :drool:

mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2008, 02:30 pm »
For those suggesting the AVA gear, exactly what are you suggesting, since the OP is looking for 7 channels of amplification in a single package?

Are you suggesting the OP is better served by one of the 3 channel amps and 2 each of the stereo amps, than by the single box solution he is actually looking for? Or did you just paste in the mantra of "Buy AVA" that we hear so much of  :roll: I guess Frank must have a 7 channel amp I'm not aware of.

And 7 channels of Audio Research gear for someone shopping for a $2K amp? Lets add Krell and Lamm to the list too  :roll:

Sorry, I'm not usually so bitchy this early in the morning  :oops:

To the OP - check out the Rotel  RMB-1077 - 7 channels in one slim, cool running box might be just waht you are looking for.

I 'm looking for a new car - Buy AVA Buy AVA :hyper:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2008, 02:51 pm »

Also, I've noticed they are both rated for 300 Watts @ 4 ohms, whereas the Songtowers are rated for 250 max.
Could this be a problem?

No, they will work fine.

Lin

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:19 pm »
It wouldn't be economically feasible to buy 3 of Frank's amps.  Conside a nice 2 channel amp and a 5 channel amp for the others.  But make sure the center has at least 250 watts.

PMAT

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2008, 05:26 pm »
Have you ever had a HT system before? So many mid-fi 7.1 systems on Craigslist for sale and some are very nice. You could steal one for the time being and take your time getting what you really want. On the other hand the Rotel suggestion was a good one. It's more than most people need but considering your speaker choice maybe you should spend a little more and get er done. aa

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2008, 05:35 pm »
I would also add Anthem & Butler as options that haven't already been mentioned.  I still have a Butler amp running a Veracity center spkr and recently used it as a temporary 2 channel amp for my HT3's and was very impressed with it, they are probably outside the price range you're looking for.  Shane Sangster is great to deal with if you want to explore Butler's:

http://www.hometheaterdoc.com/comp_info.html

If you're looking at Class D then BRM has had great success with Wyred4Sound amps.

Another 5 channel amp that goes cheaply and owners love is the Earthquake Cinenova.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1229982905&/Earthquake-Cinenova-7-channel-

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2008, 05:55 pm »
Jim also says the ATI amps are decent as well.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2008, 05:59 pm »
Jim also says the ATI amps are decent as well.

I use an ATI 1506 to power my three SongTowers and I have no complaints.

I think I paid around $750 for it and it is well worth that price.

George

Qwertyzor

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2008, 07:49 pm »
Does anyone have an opinion on the Outlaw 7700 vs. the Emotiva MPS-2? As nice as all of your suggestions are, they are too expensive.

I don't need to buy now, but the Outlaw 7700 is 25% off this weekend so if I am getting one of them I probably should get it now.

The Outlaws are made by ATI, but are within my price range, at least with this sale.

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2008, 07:52 pm »

And 7 channels of Audio Research gear for someone shopping for a $2K amp? Lets add Krell and Lamm to the list too  :roll:

I never saw a stated $2000 price range.

Qwertyzor

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2008, 08:22 pm »
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but $2000 is as much as I am willing to spend, unless I get something amazing for a little more, and I would much prefer to spend less ($1600 for the Outlaw 7700, similar for the Emotiva MPS-2). Any opinions on those two?

evan1

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2008, 10:05 pm »
I can not comment on the Emotiva but I am driving my Song Towers with an Outlaw 755. And they can take the power and the sound is nice and clean.

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2008, 10:53 pm »

Also, I've noticed they are both rated for 300 Watts @ 4 ohms, whereas the Songtowers are rated for 250 max. Could this be a problem?

Most of these ratings are useless.  For instance, if you look at the ratings for the Outlaw, if you're running 4 ohm speakers, it lists an output of 300 watts x 7 = 2100 watts, but then lists a "maximum power consumption" of 1800 watts.  How can it produce 2100 watts if the maximum consumption is 1800 watts?  Plus, 2100 watts is over  15amps, and although the specs don't list this, I'm sure the maximum amperage is only 15 amps.  Finally, you'll never listen at anywhere near these levels.  I used to run five channels of amplification through a device that told me the amperage, and I never got much more than around 5amps, and that includes running a TV, preamp, DVD player, etc, and blasting at unbelievably loud volumes.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2008, 12:26 am »

Most of these ratings are useless.  For instance, if you look at the ratings for the Outlaw, if you're running 4 ohm speakers, it lists an output of 300 watts x 7 = 2100 watts, but then lists a "maximum power consumption" of 1800 watts.  How can it produce 2100 watts if the maximum consumption is 1800 watts?  Plus, 2100 watts is over  15amps, and although the specs don't list this, I'm sure the maximum amperage is only 15 amps.  Finally, you'll never listen at anywhere near these levels.  I used to run five channels of amplification through a device that told me the amperage, and I never got much more than around 5amps, and that includes running a TV, preamp, DVD player, etc, and blasting at unbelievably loud volumes.

Bob,

I think Outlaw states that the amp requires two dedicated 15 amp lines or one 20 amp line to achieve its full power rating.  Obviously you can't reach max power on a single 15 amp line.

BTW, my Atma-Sphere MA-1 amps use almost 5 amps each when turned on! 

George

clipped

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2008, 03:36 pm »
What I meant to say is:
Call Frank to get a clear idea as to how and why when buying an amp. He has a lot of thoughts on the subject and may even know what he is talking about. :wink:
The other option, go used ,there are a lot of options over at Audiogon.

Mfsoa chill out , crank the tunes and sit back and enjoy, by the way where can I get an AVA car??  :wink:

mfsoa

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2008, 03:48 pm »
I guess Frank may not mind a call asking him which competitor's amp to buy.

Personally I would not expect him to spend his time (=money) giving me advice such as this.

I'm chillin' - Sorry for my tone before.

-Mike