Audio Break-through

jsalk

Audio Break-through
« on: 1 Apr 2022, 03:51 pm »
For some time now, we have been exploring alternative ways of generating sound.  To date, we have used various types of drivers to transfer electical signals into audible sound waves.  This is the way speakers have worked since the beginning of recorded sound.

A few weeks ago, we conducted an experiement where we used the electromotive force of electrons to directly stimulate sound waves in the air.  Since no drivers are required in this process, there is no driver-induced distortion.

Throughout time, speaker drivers have been the most inaccurate component in the sound system. By being able to eliminate the use of the drivers themselves, you eliminate the distortion added to the signal chain.  The result is speakers with zero distortion and a totally flat frequency response.

That, of course, means that total system distortion is limited to the much lower distortion originating in the amplifier, pre-amp and source gear.

This new technology will completely up-end the speaker marketplace since all existing speaker technologies will be rendered obsolete.  Thus, this is a cause for much celebration.

Have a great day...April 1st.

- Jim

dpatters

Re: Audio Break-through
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2022, 03:57 pm »
 :thumb:

Don P

Delta77

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2022, 04:11 pm »
Ahh,
You got me for a few seconds..

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2022, 04:16 pm »
Well done, Jim. So these will be virtual drivers which are distortion free as far as I know. Right?

Jeff in the D

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2022, 05:14 pm »
Nicely done Jim, you had me for a moment there.

Jeff

JDoyle

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2022, 05:27 pm »
 :duh:  … and to think I just fell for one on another Forum I frequently visit  :oops:

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2022, 06:40 pm »
Well done, Jim. So these will be virtual drivers which are distortion free as far as I know. Right?

Yes, virtual drivers are always distortion-free.

- Jim

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2022, 06:51 pm »
Yes, virtual drivers are always distortion-free.

- Jim

I hope you don't mind me horning in on your thread, Jim, but I'm introducing some products that should complement this new technology really well.

https://youtu.be/ARs2UummL2Q

jsalk

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2022, 07:21 pm »
I hope you don't mind me horning in on your thread, Jim, but I'm introducing some products that should complement this new technology really well.

https://youtu.be/ARs2UummL2Q

Where can I buy some of this great stuff?  By the way, if you ever need a job, you'd fit right in with the crew here!

- Jim

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2022, 08:37 pm »
Where can I buy some of this great stuff?  By the way, if you ever need a job, you'd fit right in with the crew here!

- Jim

Wow, really!? Can I be on the product development team? Clearly that's my strong suite.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2022, 08:47 pm »
I was thinking you might have found a way to improve John Iverson's Force Field speakers.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/what-is-the-most-highly-resolving-speaker-you-have-ever-heard.8390/page-7#post-434049

Mobiusman and marty comment on their experience.

AllanS

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2022, 10:30 pm »
We’ll done.  I was reaching for the check book.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 2 Apr 2022, 12:09 am »
Seriously. though, 'plasma' speakers making virtually the same claims contained in the OP were being developed and were shown at some audio shows as prototypes (late '80s or early 90s IIRC). Reports I read were underwhelmed by the sound and they were impractical on many levels- they were huge; they required large tanks of whatever gas was used, which had to be replaced frequently; they were grotesquely inefficient, and on and on. I don't think they ever got released commercially. But a little audio history.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 2 Apr 2022, 12:20 am »
This is the kind of post I'm here for today! :lol: :thumb:

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 2 Apr 2022, 05:10 am »
Good one, Jim.  For a second there I thought you invented a major upgrade to the 1920's Theremin.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2022, 12:28 pm »
Good one, Jim.  For a second there I thought you invented a major upgrade to the 1920's Theremin.

There is a major upgrade to the Theremin. available as a kit:
https://paia.com/theremax/

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 2 Apr 2022, 12:49 pm »
Plasma speakers have been around for some time. I thought this technology would blossom, but apparently, not yet.

I was working on a pair of point source full range drivers. I found that without a XO network, there was some marked improvement in the presentation. However, the single driver lacked bass impact and on certain HF, buzzed.

My Martin-Logans are the most accurate speaker here in this house. Hard to imagine much better, but I'm all for non-moving parts.

Good luck on this new development!

bkatbamna

« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2022, 07:24 pm »
Next thing you know, you'll be selling copper wire priced for thousands of dollars per foot.

Scott586

« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2022, 01:21 am »
As long as it's cryogenically flash frozen copper, count me in for a 3 meter pair...