amps for SS8"s can anyone help with some good ideas

smokey

JIM, happy new year, I was thinking about  upgrading my amps, I have the SS8 speakers , the amps are                     I WYRED4SOUND D class SX1000 monos   and a ARC LS27 preamp, I was thinking about going to the ODYSSEY  KISMET MONO amps, do you think this change would  give me a better defined imaging - that 3D soundstage, WHAT? !  is your opinion JIM , :scratch: would the cost make the SS8"s   sing true   :scratch:
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2015, 07:45 pm by smokey »

jsalk

Re: amps for SS8"s can anyone help with some good ideas
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jan 2015, 08:50 pm »
Good idea.  Obviously, with as many SS8 owners as we have (and other speakers as well), as a group they would have more experience with a wider variety of amps than I have.  So you will likely get many more responses by opening this up to all posters here.

- Jim

SCompRacer

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jan 2015, 09:05 pm »
I have some friends that have Odyssey mono block amps and they love them. I've heard their systems and they sound great. One has Maggies and the other VMPS speakers. Also heard SS8's on Van Alstine amps at the shows. It sounded good too.

I had a pair of the SX 1000 monos on my SS8's. Great dynamics, but very neutral sounding. Tube pres help, but I want to stay with a Class A SS pre amp. I went with an old recapped Class A Krell KSA-250 amp. Like me, it’s old but still functions and has a purpose. :icon_lol: The subs are there cause my room is open to the main level with 8,000+ cubic feet to feed.

DEP14

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:16 am »
What's the budget?

Meicheng

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2015, 02:34 am »
I don't have SS8s but have had other Salk speakers and used Belles 150A, N-Core and Rogue Atlas Magnum all worked great. 

smokey

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2015, 05:33 am »
MY BUDGET IS $6-$7 K, MY OPTIONS ARE OPEN , TUBE, SS ,OR HYBID !!!!!

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2015, 01:11 pm »
Sanders Magtech. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2015, 04:50 pm »
Go with a Pass Labs amp. There is a great deal on a 1 year old Pass X250.5 amp on Audiogon-

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-pass-labs-x250-5-pass-labs-x250-5-2014-12-14-amplifiers-76244-keller-tx

I own the previous model, the X250 and have it paired with a BAT VK-51se preamp and a pair of Magnepans.  It is a fabulous amp and the X250.5 is even better.  If I had the money right now, I would buy that X250.5.

Here is a great review on the X250.5-

http://hometheaterreview.com/pass-labs-x2505-stereo-amplifier-reviewed/

There are also some great deals on a few Conrad Johnson and BAT amps which I am a big fan of.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-conrad-johnson-et250s-hybrid-power-amplifier-new-with-full-warranty-and-free-shipping-2015-01-03-amplifiers-01060-florence-ma

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-conrad-johnson-mf2550-power-amplifier-new-model-full-warranty-2014-12-23-amplifiers-01060-florence-ma

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/conrad-johnson-mf2250-se-amplifier/

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-balanced-audio-technology-bat-vk-6200-2-channel-massive-amplifier-200w-8ohms-400w-4-o-2014-12-15-amplifiers-46614-south-bend-in

Also consider a pair of AVA 600R's.

I have heard the ARC LS 27 preamp and any of the amps would be a good match.  I have not heard the SS8's but I have heard the Salk HTR-3's at Mr. Van Alstine's house and any of the amps would pair well with them.  I think that the Pass Amp would be the last amp that you would ever own, it is that good.

DEP14

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2015, 12:37 am »
Well, as I learned from BRM machine, make sure you put the pre-amp part of the equation to bed first.  I really felt it made a bigger difference with my SS8's than my amp.

I'm currently using the Classe SSP800 and an older CA5200 combo.  I really like the combo it's spectacular.

That said, I really like the Butler Audio Hybrid Amps.  If you could find a couple used MONAD mono-blocks, those are awesome, their 2 channel 250 watt amp is also great.  I had their 5 channel 5150 and it was really nice and sounded great with the SSP800.  I could have been happy with that combo, but the chance to match the look of the Classe stuff was too much to pass up.  The 5200 is also an older but great amp.  I didn't want the 5300 from Classe as I tend to hate fan cooled anything.

But, those Butler MONAD's are awesome.   Sometimes they come up for sale on Audiocircle and Audiogon.

Good luck!

maxboy00

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2015, 11:43 pm »
Wondering if anyone has used a Modwright KWA --150 SE and the LS-100  with the SS8 ? 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2015, 12:09 am »
Butler Monads available in the for sale section here...great price too

MichiganMike

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2015, 01:56 am »
My SoundScape 10 speakers are powered by two McIntosh MC501 mono block amps.  I have been very pleased with the result.  The bass is tight and well-controlled.  The midrange and treble natural with excellent resolution and imaging.  The power reserves are ample.

You can find these used in your target price range.  Another possibility is the McIntosh MC452, a stereo power amplifier rated at 450 watts per channel.