james

onthefly

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2015, 04:28 pm »
Black, James, black.  :thumb:

Tympani

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2015, 05:24 pm »
James, now that we have a dedicated thread, could you list the full specs and description here, as done with other new products.
Thanks.

Rod_S

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2015, 08:14 pm »
So what all does the Ethernet do/control?

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2015, 09:26 pm »

I've asked this once or twice and don't recall an answer. I'm considering the BDA-3 as a BDA-2 upgrade solely for the potential of IP control. I'm looking forward to finding out if/what it will do via IP.

bjski

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2015, 01:40 am »
17 inch silver blue lights. When do you start shipping?

doveman

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2015, 01:40 am »
Congratulations to the Bryston team on another major addition.

Still loving my BDA-2 so probably won't be upgrading for a while but I can see HDMI being the next big step in hd audio.

It looks very modular inside compared to the one piece circuit design of the 1 and 2.

James, for those who use their hifi system for all types of media, i.e. movies would you guys ever consider making a delay box - for lip sync - or is this more for the realm of the SP3?

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2015, 01:43 am »

My guess is for firmware upgrades (as well as the USB port near it).

audio.bill

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2015, 01:54 am »
James provided an update in another thread stating that they start shipping the BDA-3 next week, and are currently back ordered for 194 units. He also mentioned that if you placed an order now their best estimate would be that you could expect delivery in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2015, 02:09 am »
Congratulations to the Bryston team on another major addition.

Still loving my BDA-2 so probably won't be upgrading for a while but I can see HDMI being the next big step in hd audio.

It looks very modular inside compared to the one piece circuit design of the 1 and 2.

James, for those who use their hifi system for all types of media, i.e. movies would you guys ever consider making a delay box - for lip sync - or is this more for the realm of the SP3?

Hi

Yes more in the processor realm.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2015, 02:10 am »

Yes IP addressable and software upgrades.

james

bjski

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2015, 02:29 am »
James provided an update in another thread stating that they start shipping the BDA-3 next week, and are currently back ordered for 194 units. He also mentioned that if you placed an order now their best estimate would be that you could expect delivery in approximately 4 to 6 weeks.
I placed my order last December along with my Bot.

Slam Dancer

« Reply #12 on: 7 Nov 2015, 11:03 am »
Can't wait to get the BDA-3! Hope you start on the dedicated remote for the BDA-3 soon also! :wink:

audio.bill

« Reply #13 on: 7 Nov 2015, 01:28 pm »
Can't wait to hear from early adopters as to the performance level of this new DAC. I love the design in that it handles PCM and DSD natively with the new AKM DAC chip, and that along with Bryston's discrete analog stage should result in exceptional sonic performance. I have high hopes that it will compete with some of the price no object DACs in the marketplace and really shake things up!

scirica

« Reply #14 on: 7 Nov 2015, 08:28 pm »
I wouldn't be averse to dumping my PS Audio DS DAC and going back to a Bryston DAC once I hear some in-home reviews. I still have my almost new BDA-2 around.

lmf22

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2015, 06:05 pm »
I'm interested in hearing some comparisons between the BDA-3 and BDA-2. In another thread, I think James Tanner mentioned there is no difference (or very little difference?) in sound quality if playing PCM materials, but that was during the development phase of the BDA-3. Wondering if that is still true. Should BDA-2 owners upgrade to BDA-3 if the extra features and DSD are not needed?

R. Daneel

« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2015, 04:06 pm »
I'm interested in hearing some comparisons between the BDA-3 and BDA-2. In another thread, I think James Tanner mentioned there is no difference (or very little difference?) in sound quality if playing PCM materials, but that was during the development phase of the BDA-3. Wondering if that is still true. Should BDA-2 owners upgrade to BDA-3 if the extra features and DSD are not needed?

That's what I'd like to know too. James mentioned that he recommends the BDA-2 if you don't need HDMI and DSD. Earlier reports suggest it is hair-splitting which is not surprising. I've no doubt BDA-3 is an excellent DAC but consider this - the analogue output stage is most likely identical and this is what, in many cases, determines the audio quality, not the DAC chipset chosen. This is also what separates good DACs from the really good ones. BDA-2 might still prove to be more useful if you need more conventional digital inputs. If you ask me, 2 S/PDIF and a single Toslink on the BDA-3 is barely enough for my needs so BDA-2 is more appropriate for me. Especially since I hardly see any use in using it with a Blu-Ray player. Considering BDP-2 is such an improvement over other transports I have there is very little use in HDMI since it has inherent disadvantages compared to S/PDIF. That's my reasoning at least.

Cheers!
Antun

audio.bill

« Reply #17 on: 20 Nov 2015, 12:29 am »
The BDA-3 webpage is now on the Bryston site, along with a new product brochure. http://www.bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BDA-3.html

Marius

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2015, 08:24 am »
wow, very nice James. Congrats on your latest!

Given the empty space, both in the box, and on the back layout:
- another set of balanced outputs (to fully connect and feed to the Bryston heritage of Amps, both headphone And speakers),
- and extra digital inputs would be possible, and very very welcome. Not to say essential.

I fully embrace the extra hdmi inputs, but the cost of the lost spdif's is a big letdown in our systems. I for one wouldn't be able to accommodate my current setup with the BDA3 ;-((
Why didn't you just add the hdmi's to the BDA2 inputs.

Will you consider both aspects in a future BDA James? it would make it the ultimate and most versatile DAC around.

Cheers, Marius

Hi Folks,

New BDA-3 Thread and some new pics for you:

james

mav52

« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2015, 02:11 pm »
Can't wait to get the BDA-3! Hope you start on the dedicated remote for the BDA-3 soon also! :wink:

Got that right

I wonder if a Logitech remote will work. They have the codes for the BCD-1