***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***

Captainhemo

Re: ***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***
« Reply #120 on: 7 Jun 2016, 03:33 pm »
Peter,  the product info says it's avaiable  in white or black and can be tinted :)
https://www.mlcampbell.com/products/searchdetail?search=W3701116

and the data sheet
http://www.richelieu.com/documents/docsGr/117/043/2/1170432/1308252.pdf
I'd like to try this stuff,  funny, we were just alking to our painter over the weekend about a better ,more suitable primer.

Your cabinets are coming right along Peter, always so impressed reading your build threds   :thumb:

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #121 on: 7 Jun 2016, 04:49 pm »
I'm going to check out this primer also.

Thanks Peter

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #122 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:54 pm »
The primer looks good enough to be a final top coat! I love the smooth charcoal-color eggshell-sheen look, almost Hotrod Black.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #123 on: 7 Jun 2016, 11:05 pm »
Peter,  the product info says it's avaiable  in white or black and can be tinted :)
https://www.mlcampbell.com/products/searchdetail?search=W3701116

and the data sheet
http://www.richelieu.com/documents/docsGr/117/043/2/1170432/1308252.pdf
I'd like to try this stuff,  funny, we were just alking to our painter over the weekend about a better ,more suitable primer.

Your cabinets are coming right along Peter, always so impressed reading your build threds   :thumb:

jay

ML Campbell is Canadian too, so there's that...

I recently shot the white color on some bookcases for a client before installation. Painter liked it as base coating, although it was all plywood and hardwood. I avoid working MDF as much as I can, but it has advantages so I live with it on some things. Since I'm using this as color under clear too, I didn't want to tint.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #124 on: 7 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm »
I'm going to check out this primer also.

Thanks Peter

Mike

Most of my finishing stuff, lacquer, stain, etc. comes from them. They're sort of geared towards the furniture/cabinet industry.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #125 on: 7 Jun 2016, 11:39 pm »
The primer looks good enough to be a final top coat! I love the smooth charcoal-color eggshell-sheen look, almost Hotrod Black.

I've thought the same thing. On the grills, I used satin sheen lacquer topcoat which brightens it up, but someday I'll try it with low sheen to see if it would come closer to the Hotrod black. I have this idea to do Hotrod black speakers with white and/or red pinstripes...someday.

ebag4

« Reply #126 on: 8 Jun 2016, 12:12 am »
Beautiful work as always Peter.  That finish looks great, how did you apply it?

Best,
Ed

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #127 on: 8 Jun 2016, 12:47 am »
Beautiful work as always Peter.  That finish looks great, how did you apply it?

Best,
Ed

You know Ed, a couple of years ago, I thought I'd give a cheapo gun a try and sort of reserve my "better" guns for finer work.

I bought this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-pc-professional-automotive-hvlp-air-spray-gun-kit-60239.html

The cup lid weirdly swelled when I left thinner in it so I replaced it with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Devilbiss-StartingLine-20-oz-Metal-Gravity-Feed-Spray-Paint-Gun-Cup-with-Lid-/141893598787?hash=item2109847e43:g:m~MAAOSwa-dWsJRS&item=141893598787&vxp=mtr

From what I can gather, Devilbiss Starting Line and these are very similar, perhaps the same. But even with the cup, I'm in it for less than the Devilbiss.

It's not a Sata or Iwata. Not a precision tool you hand down to your kids, but for what I paid, it functions well enough and I don't feel so compelled to be fussy about taking care of a $400 spray gun. The little gun I haven't found lots of uses for, although I did shoot some gilding size with it.

If you're in the market, I bought one of these at HF too, you need something to hang gravity feed guns on when filling. I screwed it to a chunk of MDF. I can post photos if you like.

http://www.harborfreight.com/gravity-feed-spray-gun-stand-34958.html

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #128 on: 13 Jun 2016, 05:49 am »
This installment  is a double header....grill frames and veneer. Wonders never cease, eh?

These grills are a little different than the front of mains because they inset into box. The side, top and back grills will all be similar.

Raw material

Because it's a beefier frame, I can add a dowel to locate center bar...

Starting to take shape...

And it all fits!

Grills got set aside for now. There's more to do, but I'll wait until I have all the other grills made to finish.
 I tried Heat Lock a some years ago, but since having vacuum bag, what little veneer I needed to do outside the bag, I did with good ol' Titebond I. This would be doable but I think almost harder in bag...it's not good for everything.

Using sheets of paper backed veneer because I didn't want to mess with all the bookmatching if I used raw. So I let someone else do it and I'll live with the veneer line. It'll mostly disappear in the stain. Lined up bookmatch with center of cabinet so it looks pretty

After ironing and before trimming

I drilled Speakon holes earlier so just had to trim holes and drill pilots for mounting

Looking more and more like drawing...which it should, I guess

Guy 13

« Reply #129 on: 13 Jun 2016, 06:49 am »
My God ! ! !
Peter you're good, they look nice,
anxious to see the finish product.
Quite a large shop you've got there.
Please, keep posting.

Guy 13

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #130 on: 13 Jun 2016, 01:09 pm »
Peter,

Looking good

I have found paperbacked veneer and an iron work well together however, raw wood veneer and an iron don't to want to play together very well. No matter how tight I have the seam when the veneer is ironed down, once it cools the pieces shrink just enough to show the seam.

Mike

jimbones

« Reply #131 on: 13 Jun 2016, 04:36 pm »
Whoa, I am a rank amateur compared to you NICE WORK!!  :bowdown: :bowdown:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #132 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:01 am »
Peter,

Looking good

I have found paperbacked veneer and an iron work well together however, raw wood veneer and an iron don't to want to play together very well. No matter how tight I have the seam when the veneer is ironed down, once it cools the pieces shrink just enough to show the seam.

Mike

I've never tried it, but I can see how the moisture in the glue could do that. I have laminated veneer to veneer and then glued to substrate...I wonder if that would change things? Was it something you could conceal later in the finishing process?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #133 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:24 am »
Thanks all, My neighbor called the whole thing my "Magnum Opus". I take on these involved builds knowing it will take me a while, but it occasionally seems like a never-ending story!

And Guy, I'll keep on keeping on until they're done or I croak or the whole lot of you looses interest. I've got the photo shrinking and posting process down pat! Plenty more when we get to gilding and patina....and then there's the finishing process. I'm planning on pulling out the stops and making that mahogany proud.

bdp24

« Reply #134 on: 15 Jun 2016, 02:51 am »
Ooo, mahogany, my favorite wood. I have a fair number of British-made pieces of furniture with mahogany veneer. The Brits loved it in the first half of the 20th Century, apparently. The Infinity Servo-Statics were available in mahogany, but they finished them too glossy for my taste. A nice low-gloss sheen on mahogany is more to my liking.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #135 on: 15 Jun 2016, 01:37 pm »
Ooo, mahogany, my favorite wood. I have a fair number of British-made pieces of furniture with mahogany veneer. The Brits loved it in the first half of the 20th Century, apparently. The Infinity Servo-Statics were available in mahogany, but they finished them too glossy for my taste. A nice low-gloss sheen on mahogany is more to my liking.

There was a time when Honduran Mahogany was considered the shizzle. Unfortunately the harvesting was unregulated and other than poached stuff isn't available anymore...a sad thing.

The stuff available today is similar in grain structure, but color and texture is somewhat different. What I'm using in most likely Khaya from Africa, although several variants are marketed as mahogany.

None the less, I'm shooting for that deep reddish brown patina of those old furniture pieces. Haven't decided on sheen yet, was thinking really low sheen as it's popular now, but a more satiny look would be more timeless I suspect.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #136 on: 20 Jun 2016, 03:32 am »
The latest chapter in the Magnum Opus forever build along. The end's in sight!...well, not really but it's incrementally closer. Should be listening by Christmas...

My placement jig for leg standoffs on subs. Using unthreaded base for drill guide

Now they're holey

Epoxying in ABS leg caps

By their nature, the caps are not exactly the same size as tubing, nor are they precisely centered. Can't have that, so I fixed it. Before and after

Used this to get 'em flush

Then some sanding and buffing

Stuff in a threaded insert

Before and after buffing

They're ready when I get to assembly...someday...

Veneering the mains

Once sides were done, I needed to fill in across the back. Masked and spread some Heat Lock

And ironed on the wee pieces

Here's my cutout templates for top and side windows

And now these sides are holey, too

Here's an unexpected bonus. Sides have a little fiddleback figure at the bookmatch...this should highlight when I get to finishing...around Halloween...

Guy 13

« Reply #137 on: 20 Jun 2016, 03:58 am »
Slowly but surely your'e getting there.
All the pictures makes the agony sweeter,
agony to see the finish product that is.
Thanks for the up-date.

Guy 13
If you finish right before Christmas,
that would be a nice gift for us AudioCircle members
and for you, of course.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #138 on: 20 Jun 2016, 04:48 am »
Peter, I've built more than just a couple enclosures for just a bunch of projects over the years.

You are the master I know I'll never become........awesome!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #139 on: 21 Jun 2016, 08:09 am »
Peter, I've built more than just a couple enclosures for just a bunch of projects over the years.

You are the master I know I'll never become........awesome!

Thanks for the compliment. Creating and solving problems along with working wood have been passions for much of my 60 years. If I had more time and money, I'd apply same to metal working and, and, and... the list never ends. Interestingly, I think I've better learned to balance my life by kinda strolling through stuff like this as it protracts over months. My tendencies run toward obsession which would have me up till midnight  forcing myself to finish.

I'm sometimes too curious (and occasionally ambitious) for my own good. These projects make little sense from a "dollar return on investment" standpoint, but the enjoyment that comes along for the ride is really what I treasure anyway, so I don't really give to much thought to it.

But that might be more than you want to know. I'd insert an emoticon, but Edge browser evidently thinks that's too much to ask.