Absolute Sound review

serengetiplains

Absolute Sound review
« on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:01 pm »
Congratulations, Steve!   :thumb:

roscoeiii

Re: Absolute Sound review
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:08 pm »
Review of what? A link to the review available yet?

serengetiplains

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2009, 06:10 pm »
It's in the latest Feb 2010 issue.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:11 pm »
For a number of reasons, the latest TAS issue seems to me to be one of their best.  One thing that got my attention, for example, was a review of an album title I had never heard of by Scott LaFaro.  Lots of good reading this time . . thumbs up for HP's pages and a new (to me) equipment reviewer whose name is not in front of me who stood out.  They still don't feature as many music releases as their sister mag, Hifi+.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:23 pm »

What is?

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:37 pm »

This is still December.  How did you get Feb issue?

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:24 pm »
I have a download subscription.  The Feb issue arrived today. 

In the Feb issue, Steven Stone reviews the Off-Ramp 3 and the Overdrive DAC in an approximate 6 page review.  A few quotes:

"best USB DAC"

Comparing to the Minerva, "On the more level playing field using native 96/24 files the sonic results aren’t as clear-cut. I preferred the Minerva via its FireWire interface to the Overdrive’s USB—the Minerva had a shade better low-level resolution and soundstage depth. But when I added the Off-Ramp connected via I2S to the Overdrive, the sonic tables turned."

"Moving on to standard Red Book 44.1/16 digital files once again I preferred the Minerva when I compared its FireWire to the Overdrive via USB. But when I tethered the Off-Ramp to the Overdrive, the Minerva came in second once more."

"When put together the Off-Ramp and Overdrive DAC cost as much as some of the most highly regarded DACs available including the Berkeley Alpha DAC and the Weiss Minerva. I haven’t heard the Berkeley, so I can’t comment on its relative sonic merits compared to the Empirical duo, but I have spent time with the Weiss. Clearly the Empirical Audio Off-Ramp and Overdrive combo is of the same sonic caliber as the Weiss, which puts them in the top tier of currently available digital devices designed for computer audio."

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2009, 09:32 pm »
My current adaptive USB interface, along with the Superclock4 were holding back the Overdrive (made it only equal to the Minerva).  It wasn't the Overdrive's fault.

That is all about to change:

I am prototyping a 24/192 USB async interface in the Pace-Car 2.  If things go well, this will be available first in the Pace-Car 2 in about 4 weeks.  For those that already have a Pace-Car 2, this USB interface can be added.  With two clocks, this will support two sets of sample rates:

switch position 1:  44.1, 88.2, 176.4
switch position 2:  44.1, 96, 192

The switch that now selects word-clock frequency will change to select the above sample-rates.

The word-clock output rate will now switch automatically.

BTW, I recently heard a 24/192 track through a Pace-Car 1 using the Qsonix.  I recently got a batch of very special custom 49MHz crystals to support 192 and put one of these in this Pace-Car.  Very sweet indeed.  I wish there were more tracks like this out there. 250Mbyte file size though.

Steve N.

indirstr8s

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:25 am »
My current adaptive USB interface, along with the Superclock4 were holding back the Overdrive (made it only equal to the Minerva).  It wasn't the Overdrive's fault.

I am prototyping a 24/192 USB async interface in the Pace-Car 2.  If things go well, this will be available first in the Pace-Car 2 in about 4 weeks.  For those that already have a Pace-Car 2, this USB interface can be added.  With two clocks, this will support two sets of sample rates:

The switch that now selects word-clock frequency will change to select the above sample-rates.

BTW, I recently heard a 24/192 track through a Pace-Car 1 using the Qsonix.  I recently got a batch of very special custom 49MHz crystals to support 192 and put one of these in this Pace-Car.  Very sweet indeed.  I wish there were more tracks like this out there. 250Mbyte file size though.

Steve N.

Steve, a couple of questions...

a) Does the pace car with the USB interface render the USB offramp redundant, apart from perhaps cost benefits (offramp might be cheaper).
b) If I go for the PACE car2 with USB, do I need to send my notebook for tuning.
c) Will the pace car2 automatically switch between 44.1, 88.2, 96 and 192 khz

indirstr8s

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:27 am »

In the Feb issue, Steven Stone reviews the Off-Ramp 3 and the Overdrive DAC in an approximate 6 page review.  A few quotes:

"best USB DAC"

Comparing to the Minerva, "On the more level playing field using native 96/24 files the sonic results aren’t as clear-cut. I preferred the Minerva via its FireWire interface to the Overdrive’s USB—the Minerva had a shade better low-level resolution and soundstage depth. But when I added the Off-Ramp connected via I2S to the Overdrive, the sonic tables turned."

"Moving on to standard Red Book 44.1/16 digital files once again I preferred the Minerva when I compared its FireWire to the Overdrive via USB. But when I tethered the Off-Ramp to the Overdrive, the Minerva came in second once more."

"When put together the Off-Ramp and Overdrive DAC cost as much as some of the most highly regarded DACs available including the Berkeley Alpha DAC and the Weiss Minerva. I haven’t heard the Berkeley, so I can’t comment on its relative sonic merits compared to the Empirical duo, but I have spent time with the Weiss. Clearly the Empirical Audio Off-Ramp and Overdrive combo is of the same sonic caliber as the Weiss, which puts them in the top tier of currently available digital devices designed for computer audio."

I have always been curious how these DACs fare when compared to the DCS elgar top of the line ring dacs.

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:19 pm »

Steve N.

a) Does the pace car with the USB interface render the USB offramp redundant, apart from perhaps cost benefits (offramp might be cheaper).

Well, the old USB interface is supported by Amarra.  The new does not yet support it.  Other than that, no.

I will eventually also have a new USB module that can be installed in the older Off-Ramp 3 to update it to async 192.  Since there is only room for one Superclock or Ultraclock in the Off-Ramp 3, one must decide which sample-rates are important with your library collection, either 44.1, 88.2 and 176 OR 96 and 192 and pick one.  All are supported, but some will use standard clock.

b) If I go for the PACE car2 with USB, do I need to send my notebook for tuning.

No tuning necessary.

It automatically switches between 44.1, 96 and 192 or 44.1, 88.2 and 176, depending on the switch position

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:24 pm »

"best USB DAC"

I have always been curious how these DACs fare when compared to the DCS elgar top of the line ring dacs.

Well here is what I do know.  The Spoiler beat the dCS DAC and the Zanden 5000:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1199206353&read&keyw&zzspoiler

I feel that the Overdrive is every bit as good as the Spoiler and maybe a bit better with bass and imaging.

Steve N.

indirstr8s

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:43 pm »

Steve N.

Well, the old USB interface is supported by Amarra.  The new does not yet support it.  Other than that, no.

I will eventually also have a new USB module that can be installed in the older Off-Ramp 3 to update it to async 192.  Since there is only room for one Superclock or Ultraclock in the Off-Ramp 3, one must decide which sample-rates are important with your library collection, either 44.1, 88.2 and 176 OR 96 and 192 and pick one.  All are supported, but some will use standard clock.

No tuning necessary.

It automatically switches between 44.1, 96 and 192 or 44.1, 88.2 and 176, depending on the switch position

Steve N.

Steve,

Thanks for the replies....

Just FYI my library consists of the following sample rates , which I guess must be very similar distribution to many others...

44.1 Khz :  Ripped CDs and online purchases.
96kHz    :   Online HD purchases Hdtracks, linnrecords etc..
192Khz   : few online, but more common in DVDA stereo rips.
88.1       : Online purchases like HDtracks and linnrecords. Mostly related to tracks available on   
               SACD.

176.4 Khz: None. I guess they are the most rare.

Could you also explain "all are supported but some will use standard clock".

Sanjay

indirstr8s

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:54 pm »

Steve N.
[/quote]

Steve, is it difficult to to have two primary clock resources of 176.4 Khz and 192 khz and then auto-detect one of the 44.1,88.2,176.4, 96 and 192 khz and then appropriately select a primary clock and divide it by 1,2, or 4.

sanjay

kaka

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:37 pm »
What USB cable did TAS use?

I've got the USB cables that came with the Offramp and a Red Wine Audio Isabella, plus a Locus Polestar and Nucleus. The improvement in sound as you move up through those cables is amazing - I'm curious to know if TAS heard everything that the Overdrive delivers.

By the way was it a Signature Overdrive?

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:50 pm »

Steve N.

No tuning necessary.

Steve N.

Steve,

Thanks for the replies....

Just FYI my library consists of the following sample rates , which I guess must be very similar distribution to many others...

44.1 Khz :  Ripped CDs and online purchases.
96kHz    :   Online HD purchases Hdtracks, linnrecords etc..
192Khz   : few online, but more common in DVDA stereo rips.
88.1       : Online purchases like HDtracks and linnrecords. Mostly related to tracks available on   
               SACD.

176.4 Khz: None. I guess they are the most rare.

Could you also explain "all are supported but some will use standard clock".

Sanjay

The sample rates are not related, so one clock does 44.1, 88.2 and 176.  The other clock does 96 and 192.  Only one Ultraclock will fit currently.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:55 pm »

Polestar.

I've got the USB cables that came with the Offramp and a Red Wine Audio Isabella, plus a Locus Polestar and Nucleus. The improvement in sound as you move up through those cables is amazing - I'm curious to know if TAS heard everything that the Overdrive delivers.

The review was done with subwoofer and near-field speakers, so the bass was not really reviewed.  This is one of the Overdrive strong-points.  A better cable, such as the Axis may have tipped the scales even more.

BTW, my current Adaptive USB interface matched the quality of the Weiss async Firewire interface.  My new async interface will I believe bury everything else.  No fancy USB cable required.

Every system is different too.  I'm certain that the Overdrive sounds better on my system.

By the way was it a Signature Overdrive?

Yes.

serengetiplains

« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2009, 09:23 pm »
From the review, I cannot determine if the reviewer used RCA or balanced outputs.  Balanced would seem to have a sonic edge given noise cancelling arising from your output topology.

audioengr

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2009, 10:47 pm »

Steve N.

Steve, is it difficult to to have two primary clock resources of 176.4 Khz and 192 khz and then auto-detect one of the 44.1,88.2,176.4, 96 and 192 khz and then appropriately select a primary clock and divide it by 1,2, or 4.

sanjay
[/quote]

It is not difficult, but the current pace-car only divides by 8 max.  Need div by 16 to get 44.1 from a 45MHz clock.  Therefore, it uses currently 22MHz and 49MHz.  The next Pace-Car will have 45MHz and 49MHz.

Steve N.

kaka

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2009, 11:21 pm »

Polestar.

Oh - that means TAS didn't hear everything the Overdrive can produce
If the Weiss was only just preferred over a Overdrive+Locus Polestar, then a Locus Nucleus would probably have turned the tables. There is a signficant difference betwen those cables