Use cPlay with an Off Ramp?

Newk Yuler

Use cPlay with an Off Ramp?
« on: 29 Jun 2009, 11:23 pm »
How do you set up cPlay for use with an Off Ramp?

I have an ESI Julia installed in my music server and that's the only thing (beside ASIO4ALL) cPlay sees in its preferences.  The Off Ramp is definitely connected to the system.

- Rand

audioengr

Re: Use cPlay with an Off Ramp?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2009, 03:05 am »
How do you set up cPlay for use with an Off Ramp?

I have an ESI Julia installed in my music server and that's the only thing (beside ASIO4ALL) cPlay sees in its preferences.  The Off Ramp is definitely connected to the system.

- Rand

Just like any other device.  If you are using Vista, then select Empirical 1.1 in sounds and devices and use advanced device properties to select the sample rate.

Steve N.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2009, 03:40 am »

Just like any other device.  If you are using Vista, then select Empirical 1.1 in sounds and devices and use advanced device properties to select the sample rate.

Steve N.

I'm on XP, but that's not it.  The Off Ramp is definitely in the system because Foobar is playing (unmapped, Directsound, etc).  cPlay doesn't see the Off Ramp as a choice in its preferences.  Just Julia and ASIO4ALL.  I tried swapping USB ports to reassign the Off Ramp and it didn't help.

kitten

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2009, 01:37 pm »
You should select ASIO4ALL.

By default ASIO4ALL will point to your internal soundcard so in ASIO4ALL settings you should select the external USB audio device (which in your case is the Off Ramp).

Also check the volume level in cPlay as on first install this defaults to minimum = no sound....

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2009, 06:11 pm »

Steve N.

I'm on XP, but that's not it.  The Off Ramp is definitely in the system because Foobar is playing (unmapped, Directsound, etc).  cPlay doesn't see the Off Ramp as a choice in its preferences.  Just Julia and ASIO4ALL.  I tried swapping USB ports to reassign the Off Ramp and it didn't help.

Its ASIO4ALL.  You may need to use a different tool to bypass kmixer, such as unmapping or kernel streaming.  Or you may need to setup ASIO4ALL differently.

Steve N.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2009, 07:08 pm »
Got it working...

I uninstalled/reinstalled ASIO4ALL and included the offline setup dialog (excluded the first time).  Empirical 1.1 was available there, made the changes.  When I restarted cPlay the other options for the Off Ramp were available.

Note, the prior ASIO4ALL selection in cPlay was linked to Julia which excludes changes/adjustments.  Julia has its own ASIO driver anyway.

Thanks for the tip about the volume too.  I probably would have figured that out but it was nice to go straight to the issue.  I'm not use to using a software volume control.

I'm really looking forward to trying the newer Secret Rabbit.  The older Foobar version is excellent.  Too bad the maker refuses to update it.

Thanks!

- Rand

Brucemck

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:27 pm »
Newk, I'd be extremely interested in your impressions of cmp/cplay vs. foobar or J River or similar without any upsampling ...

Trying to understand what folks ascribe to the players' implementations themselves

Brucemck

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2009, 02:27 pm »
duplicate post in error

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2009, 04:04 pm »
Newk, I'd be extremely interested in your impressions of cmp/cplay vs. foobar or J River or similar without any upsampling ...

Trying to understand what folks ascribe to the players' implementations themselves

I'm using an Off-Ramp 3 w/Superclock 4 with a Paul Hynes SR3-12 power supply, Bolder Summit DC cable, Locus Design Nucleus USB cable and Crystal Cable Digit cable to my processor. My system is a Windows XP and I'm using J. River Media Center with Asioforall. When I started downloading, I used WMA figuring that this codec would be best for a Windows system. I hadn't known about Bit Perfect, flac or any of that other stuff at the time and my library is so huge now, it's too late to turn back for me. I can't upsample WMA using foobar so I don't really have any other choice than to use J.River and Asioforall. I'm really not complaining, just explaining here. J.River allows me to output 24/44.1 so the Off-Ramp  is really not doing the 16 bit to 24 bit itself. Trying both 16/44.1 and 24/44.1 outputting from J.River, the 24/44.1 output sounds better. J.River will also upsample to 24/96 but this doesn't sound nearly as clean as 24/44.1 to me. I am very satisfied with this setup, it was a huge improvement over the Trends UD 10.1 USB transport that I had upgraded from. I can't recommend the Off-Ramp 3 enough. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2009, 05:02 pm »
satfrat,have you played back a wav file and compared it to WMA and did you hear any difference between the two?
Scotty

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2009, 07:51 pm »
satfrat,have you played back a wav file and compared it to WMA and did you hear any difference between the two?
Scotty

Nope Scotty, I have no doubts that WMA is a substandard codec and wav is better. But like I stated, my library is over 9000 albums so it's a little late in the day to be switching mediums for me. I want only 1 codec in my library and I'm committed to WMA VBR. Why tease myself by making comparisons with what I now know to be a better medium? :duh:  No sense of beating myself up with what if's:oops:

I am very happy with my present PC Audio sound tho so at least that's a good thing.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Newk Yuler

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2009, 09:11 pm »

It's going to take some days to get some ripping and testing done, but I can give you some preliminaries.  I use Foobar and run the music stream to the Off Ramp unmapped and with Directsound, but ASIO will be necessary with cPlay.  I can't have an absolutely dedicated music server for the time being, so I won't be using cMP with cPlay.  My music server is doing a few other mild Windows chores while it's playing music.  I expect the memory player aspect of cPlay and the newer version of the Secret Rabbit upsampler to make a difference over Foobar playing lossless formats.

I've been using the latest versions of Foobar and its compatible Secret Rabbit upsampler (not the latest SRC).  I'm fully convinced that upsampling Redbook and the like is very beneficial, at least in my system, but this goes along with what other trusted people say about upsampling.  When the Off Ramp arrived I loaded Foobar 0.8.3 and the SRC upsampler provided by Steve.  While I was trying to find the right synergy I reloaded the current Foobar setup.  I intend to go back to 0.8.3 at some point.  I have to have Foobar as an alternative to cPlay because I listen to a lot of DI.fm Ambient (ambient electronic music) which is 256kb MP3 net radio.  I was very surprised to find that much of my criticism about MP3 stopped when I got a critically proper amount of jitter out (the Off Ramp) ...out of the way of higher bitrate MP3 codecs.  It's not lossless to be sure, but getting the jitter out of it made a huge difference in clarity, focus, and spatial projection like it did in the lossless formats.  I think there are a lot of people who are wrongly judgmental when they don't really know what getting the jitter out does to a decent audiophile system.  That said, I don't have a dream system but my components and interconnects are modest, truly high resolution modern parts.  I know it's working right because the sound is in the room and well defined, not just coming from the speakers.  It passes "the cat test"... because the sound sometimes gets his attention and he looks around for birds (or whatever) he thinks are in the room.  That's fun to watch.  My consumer grade home theater system has never done that.  Anyway, I say all that to qualify my observations about sound quality.

I loaded JRiver Jukebox recently hoping to find a better alternative to Foobar.  It has feature advantages but its upsampler settings didn't make magic like Foobar with Secret Rabbit running in my system, YMMV.  I did quite a bit of reading and JRiver looked to be the only decent alternative to try against Foobar considering reputations for sound quality.  It's apparent I'll be sticking with Foobar and the compatible Rabbit upsampler for all things not WAV or FLAC, those formats will hopefully be going to cPlay.

I am a firm believer that different software players can sound different.  Anyone wanting the absolute best available (with deep pockets) should look toward using a Mac and Amarra in the front end and the best high resolution audiophile components you can afford.  This was recently proven at the Computer Audiophile Symposium in Berkeley, California.  I was surprised Steve didn't attend.  A lot was proved one way or the other.

- Rand

---

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2009, 11:37 pm »
Yep I agree with ya Rand that 96k thru Foobar is hard to beat. I tried it with some material that Steve sent me with the Off-Ramp 3 and it sounded heavenly. But with my 6.1 home theater system, I listen to Dolby Pro Logic 2x quite a lot (with the front center shut off) instead of simply stereo. I like the added depth that surround sound offers over simple stereo. I totally agree that 96K upsampling thru J.River sucks but their 24/44.1 sounds damn good. I was even using this setting with the Trends. The fact that I'm not a true stereo fan is a big reason why I don't look at 96K.

As Paul Kaplan (Occum) likes to say, "horses for courses". Good luck with your cPlay.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

audioengr

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2009, 08:34 pm »
Anyone compare XXhighend to old and new Foobar yet?

Steve N.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2009, 09:24 pm »

Steve N.

I'm waiting for Windows 7 to try XXHighEnd and WASAPI.  I expect it to be a step up but not with XP.  I've stayed away from Vista because of its bloat and other issues.  XP has been a very competent, mature OS.

My Mac friends tell me I need to jump platforms.  I think they're probably right but I'm very heavily entrenched into Windows.

- Rand

-

audioengr

« Reply #15 on: 3 Jul 2009, 01:01 am »

Steve N.

I'm waiting for Windows 7 to try XXHighEnd and WASAPI.  I expect it to be a step up but not with XP.  I've stayed away from Vista because of its bloat and other issues.  XP has been a very competent, mature OS.

My Mac friends tell me I need to jump platforms.  I think they're probably right but I'm very heavily entrenched into Windows.

- Rand

I use XP also.  Mac is nice, particularly with Amarra, but I cant understand what the fascination is with iTunes.  Tagging and album art is a pain.  Every format is handled differently I think, just a kludge of code.  It is too dumb-consumer geared IMO.

Steve N.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2009, 05:20 pm »
I have another question concerning cPlay, ASIO4ALL, and the Off Ramp.

In the ASIO4ALL configuration, in the device/pin the Off Ramp is listed as >Empirical 1.1 >Out: 2x 44.1-96kHz, 24Bits.  Does this indicate the device is running at 24 bit?  There seems to be no way to change the bit depth.  No setting in cPlay like in Foobar, etc.

EDIT:  I completely forgot the Off Ramp generates 24 bit automatically.  That means the better difference I heard in the Valab DAC is based solely on the Rabbit upsampled frequency to 48kHz.

Nevermind.  I'm good.

- Rand

« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2009, 06:34 pm by Newk Yuler »

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2009, 05:41 pm »
Mine reads the same thing Rand, I think the Off-Ramp 3 will output 24K regardless so long as Asioforall is being used..

Restricted Cheers,
Robin
I have another question concerning cPlay, ASIO4ALL, and the Off Ramp.

In the ASIO4ALL configuration, in the device/pin the Off Ramp is listed as >Empirical 1.1 >Out: 2x 44.1-96kHz, 24Bits.  Does this indicate the device is running at 24 bit?  There seems to be no way to change the bit depth.  No setting in cPlay like in Foobar, etc.

- Rand

Newk Yuler

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2009, 01:51 am »

I'm going to stop ripping on the music server's Asus DVD burner and order the Teac drive they're using in the RipNAS.  What the hey, it's "on sale" right now for $55 and free shipping from Shenzhen.  I set up the Asus with dBpoweramp and AccurateRip, got the offset and whatall, but I'm not convinced it's doing as great a job as it should.

The clincher is listening to the K2HD VA sampler in cPlay at 48 kHz SRC into my modded Valab.  It's very clean and warm but not projecting like I assume it should be.  I'll try some other sources while I wait for the Teac to arrive.  I'd like to try some Blue Coast 24/96 recordings into a DacMagic but ASIO4ALL only supports up to 48 kHz, so I'm already maxed out into the Valab DAC.  Although I should give the DacMagic a chance at the same 24/48.

Alternatively I have a TSST DVDROM drive in the music server too but it hasn't been set up with dBpoweramp.  I should give it a chance.

I've been listening to some downloaded and converted FLAC to WAV in cPlay and flipping to Foobar with similar SRC settings.  Creating M3U files for Foobar and using the cPlayList Editor to make CUEs for cPlay.  I think cPlay has an edge but it's pretty close.  There's no stunning differences in my system.

I hope you all have a great Independence Day and holiday weekend.  I have to go pick up a pizza.

- Rand

kitten

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jul 2009, 03:31 am »
>Empirical 1.1 >Out: 2x 44.1-96kHz, 24Bits

This is a statement of what ASIO4ALL is capable of sending to the connected device rather than an indicator of the current playback settings. Mine says (always) 2 x 44.1-48kHz, 16 Bits given I'm limited to the generic USB driver.

I demoed XX High End using Windows 7 and found playback quality was very good, the interface also. Sound was on a par with JRiver and foobar but not necessarily better, and on balance not worth the 79 Euros. YMMV.

cMP/cPlay on XP sounds best to me so far, but limited to 48Hz...

I'd like to listen to Amarra but it would involve first purchasing a mac so it would end up a pretty expensive excercise and I've well and truly blown the audio budget this year. I'm not a big fan of iTunes either.