Gecko Biwire Jumper

rbrb

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« on: 24 Nov 2004, 05:26 pm »
Has anyone tried these jumpers out in ther system? What did you hear?

There is a thread in the 2 channel forum where someone wanted to know the merits/drawbacks of biwiring in which I asked the same question but got no response.

PhilNYC

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2004, 06:32 pm »
I just ordered a pair to try out...

rbrb

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2004, 08:13 pm »
Great please let us know of your listening impressions.

Guan

Re: Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2004, 02:28 am »
Quote from: rbrb
Has anyone tried these jumpers out in ther system? What did you hear?

There is a thread in the 2 channel forum where someone wanted to know the merits/drawbacks of biwiring in which I asked the same question but got no response.

I've been using them for over a year on my Tyler Linbrook speakers. They are a huge step up on the stock (generic gold plated pressed metal) jumpers and sound smoother and more coherent than my custom-made Audioquest silver jumpers. Great product :thumb:

rbrb

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2004, 03:12 am »
Guan do you prefer the jumpers to biwiring?

Guan

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2004, 03:25 am »
Yes I do. I believe that a single run of good cable with a high quality jumper is better than 2 runs of mediocre cable for bi-wiring.

For example, the single run of AQ Kilimanjaro I use sounds a lot more open, detailed and coherent than a bi-wire pair of Tara Labs RSC Prime 1800. Of course, bi-wiring with 2 runs of AQ Kilimanjaro would be ideal, but way too costly! :)

PhilNYC

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2004, 02:12 pm »
I received the Geckos about two weeks ago and have had them on my speakers (Focus Audio FS888) since then.  Compared to the Cardas copper jumpers they are replacing, I am very happy with the results.  I am using them in combination with Acoustic Zen Hologram II single-wire speaker cables.  Relative to the Cardas, the Geckos seem to offer better speed and openness without impacting the tonal balance.  Relatively speaking, the Cardas jumpers made vocals sound a tad closed in with a little bit of harshness.

FWIW, I've reached this point of getting high quality jumpers after becoming somewhat disillusioned with bi-wiring.  Prior to going to jumpers, I had used a couple of different configurations on bi-wiring...Audience Au24 high and low, Audience high Acoustic Zen low, AZ high and low...and while each configuration did result in something positive, each also seemed to lose something in the overall balance or naturalness.  Of all the bi-wiring configurations, I liked the AZ high/low the best...and maybe there is something to the design (AZ seems to prefer bi-wire designs, whereas Audience doesn't believe in bi-wiring)...but I feel I'm getting the most natural results using single-wire and these Gecko jumpers.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2004, 04:29 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
I received the Geckos about two weeks ago and have had them on my speakers (Focus Audio FS888) since then.  Compared to the Cardas copper jumpers they are replacing, I am very happy with the results.  I am using them in combination with Acoustic Zen Hologram II single-wire speaker cables.  Relative to the Cardas, the Geckos seem to offer better speed and openness without impacting the tonal balance.  Relatively speaking, the Cardas jumpers made vocals sound a tad closed in with a little bit of harshness.

Phil,

Not suprised that the Geckos were better than the Cardas.  I find all of their cables/ic's to be too warm, compressed, and frankly boring to listen to.

Interesting results on the jumper vs. bi-wire comparison.

I have found with my RM 40's that using two different brands of speaker cable for mid/highs and lows produced excellent results (better than single wire with jumper).  

I would like  to rerun the comparison, but right now I can't b/c with system changes (for the better thankfully) I need longer cables than what I currently have.

George

PhilNYC

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2004, 02:12 am »
George,

If you get some time, pleaes come over sometime to check things out.  I can A/B the jumper vs. bi-wire...I think you'll really like the way things are sounding now with the jumper in place.  Honestly, I think I'm getting the best sound I've ever gotten with my current gear, and not by just a little bit.  A lot has been tweeked since you were last here (including more EA upgrades to my transport, a tube change, some additional room treatments), but the single biggest effect has been removing the bi-wire...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2004, 04:08 am »
Phil, Nice report. We may have to try these jumpers on my SP Tech's on Saturday at the Rave. I'd be interested to see how they perform. Others have told me that using a better jumper would improve the sound even more. So, let's do it..... :lol:
    Did you get your 7700 back from Steve yet ? Thanks.[/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

PhilNYC

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2004, 03:13 pm »
Chris,

My S7700 is in UPS' hands and should be back by Wednesday (according to the tracking number).

What jumpers are you using with the SP Techs now?

Phil

rbrb

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2004, 05:09 pm »
Thanks for the review of the Geckos Phil. Sounds like the route I need to take.

rbrb

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2004, 05:10 pm »
Thanks for the review of the Geckos Phil. Sounds like the route I need to take.

lonewolfny42

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #13 on: 14 Dec 2004, 04:34 am »
Chris,

My S7700 is in UPS' hands and should be back by Wednesday (according to the tracking number).

Phil
Good to hear your 7700 will arive soon Phil !! :hyper:
    As for jumpers, just using the stock one's that came with speakers for now :bounce: . I've not had much time for experiments...so, saturday I'd like to try the EA ones. Thanks ![/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2004, 04:37 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Chris,

Phil
Good to hear your 7700 will arive soon Phil !! :hyper:
    As for jumpers, just using the stock one's that came with speakers for now :bounce: . I've not had much time for experiments...so, saturday I'd like to try the EA ones. Thanks ![/list:u]

Chris,

Run, don't walk, and get yourself a decent pair of jumpers.

Those stock ones are garbage and you aren't coming close to hearing the full potential of the speakers.

You will be shocked at the improvement.

George

lonewolfny42

Gecko Biwire Jumper
« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2004, 04:40 am »
Quote from: zybar
Chris,

Run, don't walk, and get yourself a decent pair of jumpers.

Those stock ones are garbage and you aren't coming close to hearing the full potential of the speakers.

You will be shocked at the improvement.

George
I know...so I look forward to hear Phil's pair. Lots to check out......just short of time now......toooooo busy. Thanks !! :D