* ebay (Stillen ZR-Tip?) 2.5" stainless cat-back w/ X-Pipe
* Z1 Platinum 1-Piece Drive-Shaft
* UR UD Crank Pulley
* HI OD Water Pump Pulley
* Euro spec Radiator
* BDE Motor Mounts

Stop
* 300degree Brake Master Cylinder Brace
* YB BBK w/ StopTech AeroRotor 2-piece directional floating rotors with directional billet aluminum mounting bells
* Braided Stainless Brake Lines

Turn
* TT-Rear Stabilizer Bar
* KYB AGX Shocks
* Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
* SPL v2 Tension Rods
* C-Tune Adjustable suspension bits
* - Front Upper Arms
* - Rear Upper Arms
* - Tension Rod Mount Brace (Ladder Bar)
* Energy Suspension Urethane Bushings
* - Front Lower Control Arms & Steering Rack
* - Rear Control Arms
* - Front and Rear Anti Roll Bars
* Rear Strut Tower Brace
* G35 Coupe Wheels & Falken FK452 Tires
* - front 17x7.5" 245/40
* - rear 17x8" 265/40

Night Visibility
* 4300K HID Low Beams

Bling
* Fully Cleared J-Spec Front Corners
* '99 Spec Rear Panels & new 3rd Brake Light Panel
* Painted Brake Calipers (Red)
* Polished Gage Rings & Chrome Trim Ring around shifter opening
* 35% Tint

Mikeinsacramento

Re: My '95 300ZX 2+2 TT
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2012, 04:48 am »
Beautiful car.  What's the story behind it?  And the mod list looks well thought out.  I like the wheels and the ride height.  Do you track it?  Looks like you did the work yourself?  Is that a new engine?  Stock turbos?  Stock tranny?  Do you have a dyno curve?  That ebay knockoff exhaust looks good too.  Why the 1 piece drive shaft, is that a bugaboo of some sort? 

Please forgive any dumb questions, but I drive a 4th gen Legacy GT and forced induction is an interest of mine.  I don't know anything about this car though.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2012, 08:26 pm »
 Well let's see... back in 2000 I'd just left a consulting job that required a good bit of driving, for a job in NYC that I could use mass transit to commute to. Along with that job came a good boost in pay. So I decided I could finally afford a car that was more than just transportation. I'd been thinking about Porsche 928s, but my dad talked me out of 'em, because parts and maintenance costs on those, make Z32s seem inexpensive. Like I said I could get a car that was more than just transportation, but it needed to serve that purpose too. I already had 2 kids, and as this was going to be the second car in a 2 driver family, I needed a 2+2. I had to get an auto, so my wife could drive it if her car was in the shop. I'd been searching the web for about 6 months. One of the first questions I posted was on an old 300zx forum was, "Can you convert a 2+0 into a 2+2?". At that time, I didn't know that the chassis were different. I'd looked at a bunch of cars, most were higher mileage, and looked it. I ended up finding a car at a dealership in Hartford, CT, 110 miles away. A '95 with 47K on the clock, and in great shape. The fact that is was a '95 and had dual air-bags was a plus, so I was very excited. The sales guy at the dealership said that someone had a deposit on it, but that their credit was shaky. I told him I didn't need financing, and left my number so they could call me if the other deal didn't fly. About a week later I got a call that the car was still available. I gave them a deposit via CC over the phone, and went up the following weekend to pick it up. Most of the suspension mods were done after the first year or two of ownership, after that there were some minor cosmetic modifications and basic maintenance. Then in 2007, I went to a friends down in NoVA and we did the TwinTurbo swap. The 2+2 wasn't available as a TT here in the US, and with sedans coming from the factory with 300+ HP I felt my sports car should have more than the 220 HP it came with from the factory back in '95 ;) That first TT motor turned out to be a bit of a lemon. The compression numbers were not what I'd expected (was told they were), and there was an incessant leak from a journal between the block and the oil-pump :? I'd pulled that motor twice trying to fix the leak. The first time my buddies and I thought it was just the oil-pan. So We pulled the motor on a Saturday, dropped the pan resealed it, and put the motor back in on Sunday. When we fired the car back up it became evident that the leak was from just above the pan, at the pump-block interface. So a few weeks later, I pulled the motor again, this time dropping the oil-pan and also pulling the whole front off of the motor, to get the oil-pump off. I re-assembled with fresh gaskets, torqued everything to spec, and it held for a few months, but then the leak came back. Well I wasn't going to mess with this motor again, and began a search for a new motor. After a couple of months an event of mixed blessings occurred, A friend of mine was in an accident in which no one was hurt, but his TT-Z was totaled, so I purchased that motor, added a few new goodies, and am now really enjoying my high-HP sports car :D

I've been on Watkins Glen, The Skip Barber course in Daytona, and Little Talledega with it, and plan on doing some more track events too. Turbos are stock, as is the transmission, and I don't have a dyno with the current motor and go-fast mods but it was about 325 at the wheels with the ill motor. I'm expecting close to 400 at the wheels now, and should be getting on the dyno in a month or two. The one-piece drive-shaft is simpler and lighter than the factory two-piece unit, and also less expensive. Since I needed a new drive-shaft for the swap I went with that.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2012, 09:23 pm »
I love little more than an engine compartment you could eat off.

NICE!

Mikeinsacramento

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 03:15 am »
Killer story.  400whp in that car is lunacy, which is what I live for.  Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

mikef

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2012, 10:14 pm »
I've ridden in Barry's car. The exhaust is a bit loud for my taste, but the car is sure FAST and handles really well. Nice modifications, and fun to ride in.

Barry - really nice photos in the first post.

Mike Fox