Fortunate Accident

jsalk

Fortunate Accident
« on: 28 Apr 2015, 09:01 pm »
Some of the best things in life can result from less-than-ideal circumstances.

A customer recently ordered a pair of WOW1's to match his furniture.  He sent some pictures and it was to be an easy match - burled maple with an orange/brown dye.

About two weeks after we took the order, I noticed a pair of WOW1's in quilted maple getting ready to proceed to the finishing line.  I didn't recall taking an order for that combination recently, so I asked the guys what that pair was.  It turned out to be the pair that was supposed to be veneered in burled maple.  Since they were already veneered and it was impractical to re-veneer them, I told them to go ahead and build a new pair with the correct veneer.

But since we had this pair, I told the guys to finish them in our double-dye process which involves spraying them completely in black dye and then sanding off the black.  Where the wood is hard, the black sands off easily.  Where it is soft, some of the black remains.  Later, when you spray color, the contrast is much greater than if you had not sprayed the black initially.  It is a really nice effect.

About a week and half later Robert, our sander, came to me and asked if the cabinet he was working on was right.  It was burled maple, but it had a lot of grays and blacks in it.  I asked him what it was.  He said he had sprayed it black just like the other pair.

Well, realizing it would be impossible to sand all of the black out, I told them to go ahead a build a third pair...this time with the right veneer and no black (which they did).  But as I looked at that particular pair, it seemed as if they might look pretty nice if finished.  So I told them to go ahead and finish those anyway.

The results were some of the nicest looking speakers we have ever done.  Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I fell in love with that finish and immediately ordered another batch of maple burl to do a set of floor-standing speakers in that finish.  I just have to decide which model to build.

Here are some pictures...

And a shot showing the side panel...

I like these so much, I haven't decided if I will sell them or keep them.  If I do decide to sell them, they will be listed in the Available for Immediate Delivery board in the next week or so.

- Jim

Early B.

Re: Fortunate Accident
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2015, 09:25 pm »
Stunning!

sfox7076

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2015, 09:25 pm »
Those are awesome.  Perfect for an office.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2015, 10:28 pm »

The results were some of the nicest looking speakers we have ever done.  I just have to decide which model to build.

- Jim

A pair of Philharmonic 3's, of course. 

SlushPuppy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm »
Beautiful!  :thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2015, 10:37 pm »
Hey Jim, nice chatting with you at Axpona ... and as I told you there, I fully intend on recreating (stealing) this look myself at some point  :lol:  They look even better in person, striking in fact.

Q3Di

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm »
Wow!!! So pretty!
I am interested to own these. Please put me on the waiting list.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2015, 11:30 pm »
Very stunning Jim.  :thumb:

audiocrazy

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2015, 12:19 am »
Very unique finish. :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2015, 12:23 am »

SCompRacer

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2015, 01:06 am »
Shrink's could use that side panel image and say what do you see.... :D Nice!

ernest787

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2015, 01:08 am »
Those are beautiful.  Some of the best looking speakers I've ever seen

Stercom

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2015, 01:33 am »
The results were some of the nicest looking speakers we have ever done.
:thumb:

DEP14

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2015, 03:17 am »
Those are very cool and unique looking!

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2015, 03:27 am »
Wow, you're right Jim - those are one of your finest looking speakers.  Stunning!  Congrats to their future owner!

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2015, 10:32 am »
Jim told me the story at Axpona so I got up and looked at them.  Deep gloss, multi colors and stunning 3D wood grain.  Colors of bronze, brown and deep gray.   The burl is all over the place ie. not a consistent pattern.  Truly beautiful.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2015, 11:29 am »
Saw them at Axpona, wish my accidents turned out that nice.

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2015, 12:28 pm »
Saw them at Axpona, wish my accidents turned out that nice.

So true - many times my efforts don't even turn up nice - if I did artwork it would need to go on the fridge with a magnet 8)

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2015, 04:33 am »
Beautiful Jim

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2015, 04:53 am »
Looks spectacular!