Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Re: Okay. . Time to spill your cleaning secrets!
« Reply #120 on: 31 Oct 2009, 12:09 am »
Ok where do you get

Reverse osmosis deionized water

ED

Ed,

I buy reverse osmosis deionized water from Culligan. Costs me 50 cents per gallon for a 5 gallon container. I bought their pump for $29 so I didn't have to lift and pour.

Laura

When i called the culligan dealer out here in Pa. the lady who answerd the phone had never heard of reverse osmosis deionized water :lol: :scratch: and while i was waiting for her to run in the back and talk to some one who was more knowegiblr my phone went dead  :lol: I'm pretty sure she thought i was sending her for a left handed  smoke shifter or prince albert in a can. so i emailed them with exactly what i wanted. Hopefully they will get back to me

ED

Wayner

« Reply #121 on: 31 Oct 2009, 11:22 am »
Ed,

We buy this water at our local grocery store by the gallon. I use it to make tea and my record cleaning fluid. I bet one of your local stores has a self filling water station. The water is really pure as the "reverse osmosis" process removes all of the minerals, which also makes the water really aggressive (at cleaning).

Wayner  :D

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #122 on: 31 Oct 2009, 12:39 pm »
there is a filling station at Shop Rite but i have never looked into it. I will check it out.

Ed,

We buy this water at our local grocery store by the gallon. I use it to make tea and my record cleaning fluid. I bet one of your local stores has a self filling water station. The water is really pure as the "reverse osmosis" process removes all of the minerals, which also makes the water really aggressive (at cleaning).

Wayner  :D

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #123 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:05 am »
Heres a link to my vinyl cleaning video this works for the best sounding and quietest records than any other method i ve tried.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6OjtKUZ048

Dawkus

« Reply #124 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:25 am »
Hi Hantra,in the latest issue of Stereophile,Feb.2010,Micheal Fremmer does a little review on the record cleaner (Spin Clean).He said it really,really works,and whats really strange is that it costs only 59.95.The review sold me.I'm going to get one.You manually spin the records in a tub of water and solution by turning the record by pushing the edge.This way must be a money saver and makes sense to me.Check it out.I did not see a web site,try Googling.....Dawkus.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #125 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:39 am »
Maybe one of you can explain this to me.  I use the VPI 16.5 and have tried several types of record cleaning fluids:
VPI's, Nitty gritty, a home brew (mostly distilled water with a little 91% alcohol and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent), and now Mobile Fidelity.  The first 3 seem to settle into the grooves while cleaning and before vacuuming.  The MoFi seems to create little "lakes and streams" on the top of the record surface instead of disappearing down into the grooves.  In all cases, clean records sound much quieter than without cleaning.

Any idea why MoFi's behaves differently????   :dunno:

orthobiz

« Reply #126 on: 24 Jan 2010, 03:35 am »
Maybe one of you can explain this to me.  I use the VPI 16.5 and have tried several types of record cleaning fluids:
VPI's, Nitty gritty, a home brew (mostly distilled water with a little 91% alcohol and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent), and now Mobile Fidelity.  The first 3 seem to settle into the grooves while cleaning and before vacuuming.  The MoFi seems to create little "lakes and streams" on the top of the record surface instead of disappearing down into the grooves.  In all cases, clean records sound much quieter than without cleaning.

Any idea why MoFi's behaves differently????   :dunno:

?Different surfactant properties? Probably more water and less alcohol...

Paul

sts9fan

« Reply #127 on: 24 Jan 2010, 06:23 am »
Exactly.  The dawn is a surfactant.  The MoFi must not contain onenor as much.

orthobiz

« Reply #128 on: 31 Jan 2010, 12:04 am »
Anybody hear about this one? Friend just sent this to me:

"I wanted to tell you about a way that some folks in town are cleaning dirty LP's: Tightbond II Wood Glue. Yeah, I know it sounds so weird but you apply it thickly on the record and push into the grooves with a credit card, avoiding the label of course. Then you let it dry on a flat surface, and peel. We've tried on a few and it's amazing what grit and grime sticks & releases!"

Doesn't sound like it would go through a VPI or Loricraft, does it!

Paul

Jumpin

« Reply #129 on: 31 Jan 2010, 02:23 pm »
I use a compressed air aerosol can. As the record is spinning, before I put the needle down, I spray air over the surface blowing off any debris.

twitch54

« Reply #130 on: 22 Feb 2010, 01:39 am »
Anybody hear about this one? Friend just sent this to me:

Paul

Paul, I haven't tried it but this thread is all about it ! .......

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

Thankfully I don't own any records in that bad of shape

nick123

« Reply #131 on: 20 May 2010, 09:31 pm »
Nice way to spill your secrets easily.I was thinking about this that how i can get rid of from them.Thank you for this sharing with us.

acidaho

« Reply #132 on: 22 May 2010, 04:06 am »
I like it cheap, simple and effective........next week I'll post pic's of a really neat label saver I'm putting together for under $10

http://www.gallagher.com/clean_records.htm

acidaho

« Reply #133 on: 23 May 2010, 01:21 am »
 This is a lable saver I just built to save the $50 in the thread above.....Chuck

http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #134 on: 2 Aug 2010, 03:05 pm »
Well, just went through 8 records, all $1 flea market specials, with the Spin Clean.

They're all much cleaner, and the tub is showing the debris removed from the vinyl, but still too much surface noise.

Guess it's on to steam next.

nimbus240

« Reply #135 on: 11 Oct 2010, 11:49 am »
I have not read all the pages on this topic but I thought I would mention one product that really seems to work. It is some special silicon formula which you pour over you record and allow it to dry then peal it off together with all the dirt from the grooves. It is called REVIRGINIZER and is made in Queensland.
The link is ww.recordrevirginizer.com  I have no connection with the people who make this, in fact it was advertised in a HiFi mag.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #136 on: 11 Oct 2010, 03:32 pm »
Well, just went through 8 records, all $1 flea market specials, with the Spin Clean.

They're all much cleaner, and the tub is showing the debris removed from the vinyl, but still too much surface noise.

Guess it's on to steam next.

ETC,

Don't be surprised if they're just damaged records.  No amount of cleaning will repair damaged vinyl.  Going 0 for 8 in the dollar bin is not unusual. But once in a while you find a gem that makes it all worthwhile.

Scott

TONEPUB

« Reply #137 on: 11 Oct 2010, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for the tip on revirginizer...   Just bought some well see how it works!

etcarroll

« Reply #138 on: 11 Oct 2010, 04:37 pm »
Pumpkinman just lent me his manual, diy VPI clone, and I just bought some 91% Iso Alch, time to try again. Mixing distilled water to alcohol at 3 to 1 ratio, a few drops of detergent, add to a squirt bottle. Take the records outside to the diy spinner, pulled the brushes from the spin-clean, (spinclean worked, but not enough for the really dirty things), spin 'em and vacuum 'em.

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2010, 09:17 pm by etcarroll »

etcarroll

« Reply #139 on: 11 Oct 2010, 09:19 pm »
And here's why, got a ton of old classical, many boxed sets pictured here, plus 3 more boxes of loose albums, all dirty to greater or lesser extent,