Minimum Watts with the Super 3 Alnico's?

kbuzz3

« on: 9 Jan 2006, 08:17 pm »
Hi all

Since LC is at CES, I figured id post this question. I currently use the Omega Super 3 narrow baffle.  I would like to try an SET, either 300, 45 or 2a3 but obviously im concerned about low power into the Fostex 120a. Louis does not publish specs on this particular model.

Does anyone have any expereince using SET's with the super 3s? Or can someone comment on thier use of SET's with the Omega's in general.

FYI- I also intent to run a sub with active xover to help in the power dept.

Thanks all

Carl V

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2006, 12:28 am »
I've had that driver in the past.  Don't try it with the
45 or 2A3.....a good 300B will be 'ok' but not for
large rooms or Higher SPL.  You're smart to consider
hi-passing these with SET.  These drivers do fine with
more Volts  like PP EL34.  Triode configured EL34 or KT88
would be an option.  If you've never heard PP 300B give
in a shot. Or even Parralled 300B.  
SET is popular of course but people don't often
give PP300B the benefit of the doubt---bad move.

Good luck & have fun.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2006, 01:30 am »
I have the F120A's big brothers, the F200As and drive them amazingly well with my 6 wpc Clari-T in a 2,000 cu. ft. (8 ft x 13 ft x 21 ft) room.  I've tried 10 different amps with these speakers (Bob Brines FTA-2000s) and they deserve quality amps with high damping factors (that usually means solid state).  Tube amps have produced muddy/bloated bass or been too weak (SETs).  Cheaper solid state just sounds flat and lifeless.  Digital and chip amps have done the best (detailed with dynamics and excellent bass grip).  Most Fostex drivers thrive on tubes, but these aren't your typical thin, midrange heavy extended range drivers.

Is the Clari-T's 6 wpc enough?  Anyone that has put more of the same quality of power to them agree that it's hard to go back to that 6 wpc.  I compare the speakers to a well mannered dinner guest (with the Clari-T) versus a NFL linebacker in a tux (with a Patek, NuForce, etc.).  Note I'm 49, listen mostly to jazz and classical at moderate levels.  Going strictly by the numbers, the Clari-T will only take my speakers to 97 dB tops in my room versus recommended peak levels of 105 dB.  Bottom line, the Clari-T just doesn't have the guts to put a commanding grip on the speakers.  I recommend more power and bass control than a SET in my experience can provide.

I don't suppose the F120A in standmounted bass reflex is going to change character quite as much, and damping factor will probably be less of an issue, but you get the idea.  I think the Omega F120A standmounts would be sweet, but I'll caution you that I've heard the TS3 versus Super 3 and the difference is not subtle (midbass with the TS3 is thin in comparison).  Again the difference between FE127E and F120A may make a big difference.  Check with Louis.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2006, 01:52 am »
I had the regular Super 3 speakers and did experiment with the lowest wattage I had on hand. The lowest was 1.8 watts of 45 power. Not a bad sound but not much in terms of dynamics at higher levels. The 2A3 was about the same but my personal fave was 300Bs. I had 8 watt single 300B units that did a nice job. Something I could live with. The Holy Grail was my 25 watt 300B push-pull amplifiers.

I also used 845 and 805 amps which did an excellent job with these speakers. I am a big 805 fan but no longer have one on hand. I'll stick with my P-P 300Bs.

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:32 am »
Hi kbuzz3,

The posts are really good and hit it in regard to power. I like higher power with the Alnico drivers. They are less sensitive and have longer throw, so higher power is helpful. The Clari t works and the PP300B or PP2A3s are really good too. I wouldn’t discount these at all.  I also like EL-84 based amps vintage or new.

Thanks again,
Louis

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2006, 11:50 am »
Allow me to update my Clari-T comments.

The first post was based on a stock Clari-T.

I just got it back after adding all the "significant" and the improvements in detail, increased power, and bass output are obvious.  All these characteristics were impressive before from a 6 wpc amp, but now are amazing.  If your in a small room and not a headbanger, this could be enough to keep from 2nd guessing.

GHM

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2006, 12:34 pm »
I auditioned the Omega Super 3 narrow baffle last year. It was used with a ASL Tulip (3.5 wpc) I believe ... also some 55 wpc Grommes tube monoblocks. The speakers sounded lifeless when pushed by the Tulip. The soundstage was small and the sound never really got outside of the speakers. When we hooked the Grommes up..all this changed. Much more open and effortless without a hint of straining. This speaker definitely thrives on power.

Paul Bui was nice enough to send me a demo cd made by Crown Sass microphones. This recording is so dynamic and  realistic. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! It doesn't seem to use any compression what so ever. Drum kits sounded like real drum kits with the matching transient attack from the lingering cymbals to the rattling skin and metal rings vibrating on the drums . Without the proper power there's no way I could hear this cd at its potential. Any amplifier less powerful than what I use now would most likely clip with this cd.

Good luck