Idagio

gberger

• Check 6
Idagio
« on: 31 Aug 2019, 07:44 pm »
Has anyone tried Idagio?    Sound Quality vs CD?

dB Cooper

Re: Idagio
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2019, 01:18 am »
I have been very pleased. One caveat though, which applies to all player and streamer softwares I have tried on computer (Mine is a Mac but I don't see where Windows would be any different since the clipping happens in the players) : If you run the software with the volume control at max, you will get clipping on loud passages. This is because the player(s) actually apply additional gain to the signal above certain volume settings. (Maybe this is why I keep reading  claims that streaming SQ falls short of CD?) I used some metering tools and test toness to make sure the music didn't clip on even the loudest peaks. Once I did that, SQ was indistinguishable from CD. Idagio has good nav and discovery. The lossless version is only $10 a month. They have a trial version.
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2019, 04:22 am by dB Cooper »

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2019, 07:49 pm »
db,

Thank You!

I have a large collection of classical CDs and a BCD-3 spinner that does yoeman duty.  I've been considering whether or not to add a classical music streaming capability.  For my purposes, Idagio appears to be the best streamer.

George

docder

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2019, 11:42 am »
Hi George,

I would recommend Primephonic as a classical only streamer. They have a wide range of music with interesting playlists and recommendations. It streams from a browser web player on computer or from a downloadable app on phones or tablets. Very friendly team running it.

https://www.primephonic.com

There's a fourteen day free trail without credit card registration.

I use Airplay2 to ShairPlay in BDP-3's Services menu, or select DNLA Renderer to make BDP visible to computer/tablet.

Well worth a try,

D

Calypte

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2019, 04:11 am »
Has anyone tried Idagio?    Sound Quality vs CD?

I have Idagio.  I've never been particularly thrilled with the sound quality.  They have a higher res option, but the option I chose should be equivalent to 320kbs MP3s, which sound fine to me.  But the Idagio option doesn't.  It's not terrible, but it's not good enough to make me abandon the collection I've ripped to a Passport drive.  Also, Idagio's interface on Android cell phone makes it hard to hear the very first notes of a piece.  Take something obvious like the Eroica Symphony.  It can take repeated tries to hear those first two chords.  I'm playing Idagio through a Google Chrome Audio dongle plugged into the DAC.  Maybe there's a better way.  I have a Bryston BDP-pi digital player, but I don't think there's a way to employ it for this duty.

Edited to add: I have an acquaintance who's a classical recordings producer.  He sold off his CD collection and listens only through streaming.  He lives in the Netherlands (but he's an American).  Maybe Idagio is better in Europe, since he swears by it.

gberger

• Check 6
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2019, 10:14 pm »
Calypte,

Thanks for the input.

Yes, my friend in Germany swears by Idaigio. That's why I suggested using it as a streamer.
I'm still debating with myself as to whether to keep on playing my CDs directly, and to adding streaming to play what I don't have.
 As of now, I'm more than satisfied with my BCD-3 spinner; however, my kids and grandkids keep telling me streaming is better. (Disclaimer: They're into jazz, rock, metal and synthesized music  - - not classical.) My only reason to go to streaming world be to listen to performances of symphonies, chorales, concertos, operas, etc., beyond what I already own.

I guess my basic decision is whether to spend the additional dollars needed to install streaming, or to take equivalent dollars and build onto what I already have in my CD library.    (BCD-3 > BP17cubed pre > 4B cubed amp > Thiel 2.7 speakers w/SS2.2 sub.)

George

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2019, 11:16 pm »

I guess my basic decision is whether to spend the additional dollars needed to install streaming, or to take equivalent dollars and build onto what I already have in my CD library.    (BCD-3 > BP17cubed pre > 4B cubed amp > Thiel 2.7 speakers w/SS2.2 sub.)

George

George: Add the streaming. Consider it a good way to "shop/preview" albums, then add them to your library as CDs later on. Or just have a separate steaming library. With the streaming, you can fill all the rooms with tunes, but not with the 2-ch stereo system. Just my two bits' worth.

cheers

docder

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2019, 10:54 am »
I would agree, adding a streaming option offers a direct route to a vast amount of music you might not otherwise encounter. For the cost of a new CD or two a month a streamer subscription gives access to an ever expanding library that covers  both current and archival releases.
And don't overlook Qobuz which is already embedded into the BDP range. Their classical choice is excellent as is the selection of other music, you can keep yourself and the rest of the household all happy with the one action. Audio quality for their HiFi and Studio options through BDP is superb.

RandyH

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2019, 02:03 pm »
+1 Docder...

For me streaming has moved well beyond the "review before I buy" stage to my primary method for listening.  The sound quality of Tidal and Qobuz really is that good.  I have a very fine Bryston BCD-3 CD player and a collection of 1000 CDs but most of my listening is from Qobuz, Tidal, and a hard drive.  Between Roon and hi-res streaming services I am discovering new music almost daily and enjoying my old library of music more than ever before.  I have no plans to get rid of my CDs or the player but they represent more of a ceremonial part of my music system than a functional one.