Yet another SongTower thread

R Swerdlow

Yet another SongTower thread
« on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:17 pm »
Yesterday I pulled the trigger on a pair of SongTowers.  I ordered the standard version with the Hiquphon tweeters, with cherry veneer.  Because I live not far from Dennis Murphy, I have been able to listen to these speakers several times as they were developed.  I was hooked on their sound some time ago.  Last Sunday, I brought my wife along, whose consent I wanted before I placed the order.

She is somewhat less tough about large purchases than I am, so I wasn’t seriously worried about convincing her that we should buy these speakers.  Her hearing is somewhat better than mine, and she is capable of listening as closely as I do, although she probably does that less often than I do.  Because Dennis and Jim have made a point about the WAF value of these speakers, I thought I would share several of her comments:

• They do sound great.  I can see why you like them so much.
  • They look smaller than I thought they would be.  They’ll fit next to the bookshelves in the family room better than the (large 3-way) speakers we have now.
  • The finish is beautiful.  (Note, Dennis now has several other Salk products in his "showroom", we saw an example of a cherry veneer covered V3 Monster Center, and guessed that the cherry SongTowers will look similar.)
  • Sure you can order them… when do I get my new kitchen floor?

Another point I want to make, is that the SongTower is an easy speaker to drive, especially for a 4 ohm MTM design.  Although some readers here may have large powerful amps available, these speakers don’t require that.  They certainly can benefit from a big amp, but they can also be easily driven by any modest amp as long as it is stable at 4 ohms.  Dennis says a 30 watt tube amp can easily do the trick.

I’ll have more to say when they arrive.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
Re: Yet another SongTower thread
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2007, 03:27 pm »
I'm curious

in the demos you've done, have you heard them versus the HT1s?

your wife has her priorities down, go ahead honey, smart woman!

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2007, 04:55 pm »
I'm curious, in the demos you've done, have you heard them versus the HT1s?

I thought someone would ask me that, and I'm afraid the answer is no, I have not done that direct comparison.  Although the price of the HT1, starting at $2200, is closer to the SongTowers’ $1500 than other Salk products, I think it might be an apples vs. oranges comparison.

What I consider a better question to ask of the SongTowers is, what other speakers commercially available in the $1500-$2000 price range are serious competition for them?  A few years ago I listened carefully to the Vandersteen 2ce, Monitor Audio Silver 9, NHT 2.0, Meadowlark Kestrel, and Dynaudio Audience model ??, and concluded that each of these were missing something or had a noticeable flaw.  The SongTowers succeed where those others failed.  I don’t think there are any other speakers available for a similar price that do as well.

Back to apples and oranges… The drivers in the HT1, the Seas W18 magnesium midwoofer and the G2 ribbon tweeter are quite different than the SongTower’s Seas CA15 coated paper midwoofer and Hiquphon OW2 silk ¾” dome tweeter.  They each have advantages and disadvantages.  In my prior listening experience, I have preferred the sound of coated paper drivers to that of metal drivers.  That may be due to genuine preference, and it may be due to the often higher cost of properly designed and executed metal coned speakers.

Cost
The W18 costs more than triple the cost of the CA15, and the G2 ribbon tweeter costs nearly double the cost of the Hiquphon tweeter.

Size
The smaller diameters of the 5¼”  SongTower midwoofers allows for greater midrange dispersion than that of the 6½” HT1 midwoofer.  I’m not sure how to compare dispersion of a ¾” dome vs. a ribbon tweeter.  They are different technology.

Cone Material
The W18 is magnesium-aluminum alloy and the CA15 is coated paper.  In general metal alloy drivers are said to be more dynamic and detailed sounding than paper drivers.  But there is a downside, metal cones suffer from severe break-up noise at higher frequencies, where coated paper cones can be very well behaved at these same frequencies.  Sometimes metal coned midwoofers can generate speakers that sound fatiguing or even harsh.  To make good sounding speakers with metal midwoofers, it requires greater effort by the crossover designer and greater success in the design.  Translate that into greater cost.  Although I have heard other speakers (Monitor Audio Silver 9) with metal drivers that ultimately failed to my ears for this reason, I do have confidence that Dennis Murphy has successfully dealt with this problem in the Salk Veracity HT series.  In contrast, paper coned midwoofers present an easier design challenge, and (as is the case for the SongTower) allow the crossover frequency to be at a high enough frequency so that it is above the range that human ears respond to best.  Placing the crossover frequency higher allows most of the midrange to be produced by the midwoofer.  Dennis or Jim, I don’t know the crossover freq of the HT1, so correct me if I’m wrong.

The aluminum ribbon tweeters also are more dynamic and detailed sounding than fabric dome tweeters.  The few I’ve listened to do sound spacious and airy in a way that no dome tweeter can exactly reproduce.  They also have a rather narrow vertical dispersion compared to a small dome tweeter.  I’m not sure which is better, and I suspect a clever marketing writer could spin you in either direction.

I have listened to the Veracity HT2 last October.  It has two of the W18 drivers, and a different ribbon driver, the LCY, and may be close enough to the HT1 to draw some comparisons.  In short, it sounds excellent: detailed, spacious, and airy.  I don’t recall well how it’s bass performance was.  At $2700 or higher, it is better than the SongTower, but not by so big a margin that I would want to pay the difference.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2007, 07:22 pm »
Thanks for all the comments, Richard.  Looks like I've got to figure out a way to compare the HT1 with the tower.  It's not just a matter of cone material or driver type.  In my experience, MTM's have a little different midrange presentation even when the same drivers are used.  So there is a lot going on.  About the only thing that's similar between the tower and the HT1 is the crossover frequency.  They're both in the 2400-2500 Hz range.  To put that in perspective, 2500 Hz is about equal to the beginning of the last octave on the piano.  So it is above the fundamental tones of the human voice and most instruments, but not above a whole lot of overtones.