Turntable platform help

GentleBender

Turntable platform help
« on: 2 Nov 2015, 05:00 pm »
My recent addition of the VPI HW-19 TT has introduced a problem to my rack, sure I'm not the first. I need something to either raise the turntable above the posts or to make another platform for the TT. The pictures show how the post make it impossible to put the TT on the shelf. What are your suggestion(s)?

Same on both sides...

BobRex

Re: Turntable platform help
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2015, 06:42 pm »
How about just leaving the pavers and placing another shelf on top of pavers, maybe with some big fat dots in between?

GentleBender

« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:46 am »
That could work, but I'm concerned about the little bits of sand and junk coming off the pavers. Any recommendations on what I could paint them with to prevent this? Does it really matter what I paint/stain them with? I don't want debris around my vinyl that could inadvertently get on a brush and end up destroying a record.

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2015, 03:54 pm »
Noone will be able to tell you what will work best sonically.  Noone.

Your needs are simple, you basically need to raise the table (or a shelf added under the table) over the nuts.    Just try a few different things you probably already have around the house (or easily / cheaply obtainable), listen, compare, and decide for yourself.  You may discern no difference whatsoever.  Blocks of wood, bricks, hockey pucks, rubber bottle stoppers, cut in half squash balls, shot glasses filled with sand, etc.  Use your imagination.  Be creative.  Doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate or even audiophile approved.

If you don't like the result, maybe move onto more specialized audio specific tweak stuff.  Maybe start with these cork / rubber vibration blocks for only 34 cents a piece!

http://parksupplyofamerica.com/gproduct.php?id=DIVMP2C&fam=PZLFZCU4A8RF&addons=y

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2015, 06:32 pm »
That could work, but I'm concerned about the little bits of sand and junk coming off the pavers. Any recommendations on what I could paint them with to prevent this? Does it really matter what I paint/stain them with? I don't want debris around my vinyl that could inadvertently get on a brush and end up destroying a record.

I would paint them with a thick water base paint to match your rack .( satin or flat black) Then as BobRex suggests, place a wood shelf on top the bricks isolated with some type of footer or "dots" mentioned.  I've used mouse pads in a similar situation as well. As far as the wood shelf, I've used 1.5"-2" thick maple butcher block with good success. Thinner shelves of bamboo and Baltic birch ply are also good choices. All are going to present a bit of a different sonic signature however.

brooklyn

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2015, 06:53 pm »
Can the turntable feet be unscrewed and new, lets say points or cones be screwed in instead?

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2015, 10:50 pm »
If you don't mind an unfinished look, maybe these?  That come in all black, can have cones on top

http://www.rockler.com/bench-cookie-plus-work-grippers

JoJatek

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2015, 01:38 am »
Years ago I built a Flexy type rack similar to what this looks like and had the same problem.

Here is how I solved it.  I measured the height of the top shelf nuts above the surface. Then I made a  shelf piece the same size as your top shelf but slightly thicker than the height of the nuts.

I then drilled some holes in the bottom of The extra shelf piece which were the diameter of the nuts, or in your case of the washers. I made sure to line up the holes with the nuts in the four corners of your top shelf.

After that you can simply place this new shelf over your top one which then covers the top nuts but gives you a totally flat surface to place your turntable.

If possible I recommend making even thicker.

Let me know if this makes sense. If not I will use to sizes and dimensions to illustrate what I am saying.

Cheers,

Hugo

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:14 am »
Your explanation is quite clear.   Brilliant idea and very elegant solution,  Hugo.   I like it!    :thumb:

JoJatek

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2015, 03:41 am »
Thank you Sunny.  I dont post much but this is something I thought I could help with.

Some further thoughts/tips because not everyone has access to tools.

You can go to a Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc and buy 1/2" or 3/4" plywood sheets. Then get them to cut it to your shelf size.  Have them cut (3) shelves for you say...24"x18" each or whatever your self size needs to be. 

Then, if you dont have a drll press or forstner bits to drill the large diameter "recessed" holes to fit over your nut/washer buy a hole saw (of the dianeter thate you need). Drill the (4) holes using your drill or have a buddy do that for you on (2) of the (3) shelf pieces. The hole saw will cut all the way through it.  Then glue those two together carefully lining up the holes. 

Now glue the third shelf (which has no holes) on top and you end up with a solid top with recessed holes underneath that doesnt require high end tools. Presto!

Last tip: ( sorry for the long post)

If possible unbolt your existing top shelf and use that to line up the holes on the new shelf you are creating. That way you wont need to guess where They are nor make high precision measurements.

Lastly, once you have the position of your holes, take one of the washers and trace it in place so now you know "where" the holes go and"what" minimum diameter you hole needs to be. I recommend making your hole slightly larger.

If you want to get fancy you can use different materials for that top shelf to create a multilayer turntable shelf that would isolate different frequency of vibrations depending on the materals (mdf, plywood, corian etc) used in your shelf.

Hope it will works for your. Your choices are only lmited by your creativity.

Cheers

Hugo

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:44 pm »

Cheers

Hugo

Exactly!    :thumb:

Don't be afraid to experiment, even with zero cost household items.  Once, to get my table elevated for cable clearance, I even raised it up on sand filled shot glasses.  Have also used  hockey pucks and blocks of wood.  Can't say I heard sonic detriment with any.   :dunno:

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2015, 02:56 pm »
PS:   Good tip about removing existing shelf to use as template for hole locations.  And I would definitely drill holes a bit larger than needed.

I'd probably choose thick butcher block vs stacked / glued plywood.  On the underside just carefully drill the 4 holes to the needed depth, and drop right on top of existing.  This choice not based on sonics, as I have no idea which would perform better.  BB is less work than cutting and gluing all that plywood, and will look much better too, IMO.

GentleBender

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2015, 04:05 pm »
Thank you to everyone for helping!
Can the turntable feet be unscrewed and new, lets say points or cones be screwed in instead?

I believe so, it is the VPI HW-19. Great option!
If you don't mind an unfinished look, maybe these?  That come in all black, can have cones on top

http://www.rockler.com/bench-cookie-plus-work-grippers
Interesting and cheap!
Thank you Sunny.  I dont post much but this is something I thought I could help with.

Some further thoughts/tips because not everyone has access to tools.

You can go to a Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc and buy 1/2" or 3/4" plywood sheets. Then get them to cut it to your shelf size.  Have them cut (3) shelves for you say...24"x18" each or whatever your self size needs to be. 

Then, if you dont have a drll press or forstner bits to drill the large diameter "recessed" holes to fit over your nut/washer buy a hole saw (of the dianeter thate you need). Drill the (4) holes using your drill or have a buddy do that for you on (2) of the (3) shelf pieces. The hole saw will cut all the way through it.  Then glue those two together carefully lining up the holes. 

Now glue the third shelf (which has no holes) on top and you end up with a solid top with recessed holes underneath that doesnt require high end tools. Presto!

Last tip: ( sorry for the long post)

If possible unbolt your existing top shelf and use that to line up the holes on the new shelf you are creating. That way you wont need to guess where They are nor make high precision measurements.

Lastly, once you have the position of your holes, take one of the washers and trace it in place so now you know "where" the holes go and"what" minimum diameter you hole needs to be. I recommend making your hole slightly larger.

If you want to get fancy you can use different materials for that top shelf to create a multilayer turntable shelf that would isolate different frequency of vibrations depending on the materals (mdf, plywood, corian etc) used in your shelf.

Cheers

Hugo
This seems like a great long term solution! :thumb: I plan on trying this out with the red granite or onyx I picked up from the local stone and tile shop that I frequent for my yard landscaping. It was a cheap couple of leftover pieces that didn't have to be perfect.

Here is the temporary setup.

I removed the center support after realizing I could push it either way like you would a Jenga piece.  :icon_lol: Would extra-thick grunge buster dots help isolate the turntable until I buy better feet for the TT?

sunnydaze

« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2015, 04:22 pm »

I removed the center support after realizing I could push it either way like you would a Jenga piece.  :icon_lol: Would extra-thick grunge buster dots help isolate the turntable until I buy better feet for the TT?

Definitely!  Put them under and / or over the support strips.  Perhaps Herbie can weigh in on the best location.  They'd also keep things from sliding around.

For grip, you can also try pieces of rubberized shelf liner.  I sometimes use it to prevent stuff from sliding around on my shelves.  I've no idea how (or if?) this will effect your sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAI

Looks good, GB.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #14 on: 4 Nov 2015, 04:46 pm »
Edit issue.
« Last Edit: 5 Nov 2015, 12:35 am by Bob2 »

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:23 pm »
n on trying this out with the red granite or onyx I picked up from the local stone and tile shop that I frequent for my yard landscaping. It was a cheap couple of leftover pieces that didn't have to be perfect.

Maybe your stone supplier can cut the holes for you. After all, they do it for kitchen sink faucets.  If they can't do holes, maybe st cut 45° pics at the corners.

Bob2

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2015, 12:29 am »

Granite surface plate. 18X18X3 inch thick. 108lbs. All surfaces polished, no dirt, grit or BS. Parallel, FLAT and square. Sold by Grizzly through Amazon (free shipping via freight). $113.00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD0KI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Stops all vibrations in my setup. Rests on Sorbothane bushings. http://www.mcmaster.com/#sorbothane/=zo4erv

Probably make your rack top heavy though.... Maybe a new rack............ light weights need not apply...

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #17 on: 5 Nov 2015, 12:39 am »
Bob2 - that's incredible!

They even have one with ledges! Might be perfect for the OP

Grizzly G9655 18-Inch by 24-Inch by 3-Inch Granite Surface Plate, 2 Ledges https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD0KK/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gqQowb2G6N2W0

Bob2

« Reply #18 on: 5 Nov 2015, 01:09 am »
rif,
these are Chinese in origin but are actually very good. Stupid good price too. As good as the Starrett surface plates I used for years. Lab grade.
Mass is our friend.. if eliminating outside influences.. This is one heavy mofo!

brooklyn

« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2015, 05:32 am »
Has the sound changed at all with the new self?