What's analog bypass?

JohnR

What's analog bypass?
« on: 24 Jul 2003, 11:08 am »
OK, the first in a series of dumb HT questions from me...  :?

I see people talking about an "analog bypass" for HT pre/pros, and more interestingly, how bad many of them are even on multi-kbuck units. So first, what is it? Am I correct in my assumption that it just "bypasses" some input straight to the L/R outputs, which are presumably connected to the power amp inputs?

(In other words, kind of the opposite of an "HT bypass" on a stereo preamp - ?)

Second, if that's what it is, how can you make it sound bad -- isn't it just a switch?

randytsuch

What's analog bypass?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2003, 02:12 pm »
Hi John,
I think the point of analog bypass is to not have to do a a/d then d/a conversion on a signal.  My HT processor does not have analog bypass, and so it has to digitize all inputs.

I also think the pro's with analog bypass still let you control the volume of these signals, and probably buffer them too.  And that would be where they screw up the singal.

Randy

dogberry

What's analog bypass?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2003, 02:49 pm »
In my Anthem AVM 20, when you assign Analog Bypass to an input, all the DSPs are turned off, the video circuitry, and there's no EQ, bass management, or tone controls.  The only thing you get is volume control.

That way, an analog source like hi-rez digital or tape/TT isn't getting digitized and/or going through the Anthem's DACs (if you prefer the sound of say, your own CD player).

MaxCast

What's analog bypass?
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2003, 03:19 pm »
These guys have it right.  They may not all be created equal.  Some companies analogue bypass my not digitize but pass the signal through the tone controls, etc.  A true A/Bypass IMO only uses the volume control.