HT3s and Multichannel Amp

texas steve

HT3s and Multichannel Amp
« on: 25 Sep 2006, 12:45 pm »
Im gong to go from my Proceed 200W 3 channel (anyone interested in purchasing it?) to a 5 channel amp.  Im considering the Balanced Audio Technology (BAT) VK6200 http://www.balanced.com/

Anyone have any experience with this amp?   

Kishore

Re: HT3s and Multichannel Amp
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2006, 06:59 pm »

VK6200 has lot a of 'oomph' ;), and is wonderful SS/neutral Amp with ample current/power, but is a bit sterile (maybe its me but most of BAT's SS Amps are imho)...if you mate it with a tube pre then you will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Kishore

texas steve

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2006, 07:57 pm »

VK6200 has lot a of 'oomph' ;), and is wonderful SS/neutral Amp with ample current/power, but is a bit sterile (maybe its me but most of BAT's SS Amps are imho)...if you mate it with a tube pre then you will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Kishore

Thanks Kishore, I apprecaite the input.

LadyDog

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2006, 09:41 pm »
Steve,
Everybody is their own movie critic, but my favorite 5 channel amp is the Cal Audio CL2500.  Very robust power and musical.  Being a neutral sounding amp, believe it would blend well with your HT3's.  May be hard to find as Cal is no longer in business.  Every once in a while one pops up on audiogon though.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,
Jeff

Steve Vol

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2006, 12:14 am »
Steve, Zybar recently acquired a Bat VK600SE and I believe he has been very happy with it.  You might search Audio Circle for his comments or contact him further for more info.  He has HT3's also.

Good Luck,

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2006, 12:28 am »
I don't have any experience with the amp mentioned, but I can say that the VK-600SE is definitely not sterile sounding.  I am fine with saying on the record it is one the best two solid state amps I have owned, auditioned, or heard in a familiar system (the other is the DartZeel).

How much of that sound is found in the VK6200?  I have no idea.

You can always ask BAT, but that is obviously a biased opinion.

Are you getting the VK6200 new or used?  Anyway to audition it or buy it used so you can try it in your system and let your ears decide?

So unfortunately, I am not much of a help in this case.

George

texas steve

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:02 pm »
Steve,
Everybody is their own movie critic, but my favorite 5 channel amp is the Cal Audio CL2500.  Very robust power and musical.  Being a neutral sounding amp, believe it would blend well with your HT3's.  May be hard to find as Cal is no longer in business.  Every once in a while one pops up on audiogon though.

Good luck in your search.

Regards,
Jeff
thanks for the info.   Ive looked at Krell and others as well.  I think Ill go with the BAT vk6200. 

texas steve

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:06 pm »
I don't have any experience with the amp mentioned, but I can say that the VK-600SE is definitely not sterile sounding.  I am fine with saying on the record it is one the best two solid state amps I have owned, auditioned, or heard in a familiar system (the other is the DartZeel).

How much of that sound is found in the VK6200?  I have no idea.

You can always ask BAT, but that is obviously a biased opinion.

Are you getting the VK6200 new or used?  Anyway to audition it or buy it used so you can try it in your system and let your ears decide?

Thanks for the input.   Yep I talked with the guys at BAT, read all the reviews etc.  In the end I believe Ill go with the BAT new.  Unfortunately like the Salk HT3s I bought, it will be a "leap of faith" (and exit from the wallet) to buy it!    Wish me luck, I will report back when I get it. :duh:

Thanks all

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:24 pm »
Steve,

Did you see this on Audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1163900309

I am not affiliated with the seller in any way.

George

texas steve

« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:34 pm »
Steve,

Did you see this on Audiogon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1163900309

I am not affiliated with the seller in any way.

George

George, yes I did thanks.  I got a brand new one for only $500 more!!  Its a company out of Scottsdale thats a distributor for BAT.

Steve

Sparks

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2006, 11:09 pm »
Steve,
I have a 3-channel VK6200 and am driving, actually connecting them this week, to 3 HT2s.
I have driven other speakers with this amp and can report that it is effortless, dynamic, neutral and nuanced.
It is dead quiet. No noise with no input.
There are certainly other fine amps out there but at this level it really is a matter of taste.
I've spent time with BAT tube products and prefer their SS.
As you know it's built like the proverbial brick outhouse and most all of that weight comes from the monoblocks
and not from the chassis.
The only issue I have experienced with the BAT was due to its size.
It's 24" in length and can present a problem when trying to fit it in a regular rack
BAT as a company, is a pleasure to deal with and are real people.
I'm pretty sure you will love it how it sounds with the HT3s.
Remember, lift with you legs :)

texas steve

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2006, 12:55 pm »
Steve,
I have a 3-channel VK6200 and am driving, actually connecting them this week, to 3 HT2s.
I have driven other speakers with this amp and can report that it is effortless, dynamic, neutral and nuanced.
It is dead quiet. No noise with no input.
There are certainly other fine amps out there but at this level it really is a matter of taste.
I've spent time with BAT tube products and prefer their SS.
As you know it's built like the proverbial brick outhouse and most all of that weight comes from the monoblocks
and not from the chassis.
The only issue I have experienced with the BAT was due to its size.
It's 24" in length and can present a problem when trying to fit it in a regular rack
BAT as a company, is a pleasure to deal with and are real people.
I'm pretty sure you will love it how it sounds with the HT3s.
Remember, lift with you legs :)

Thanks Sparks.  Yes I understand you need two GOOD friends with STRONG backs to help you set it up.  Its being built now so I should have it in about 2 weeks to connect to my HT3s.   I just added a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the beast as well. :duh:

thanks all for your help.

texas steve

Re: HT3s and Multichannel Amp - UPDATE
« Reply #12 on: 1 Nov 2006, 11:20 pm »
Just want everyone to know the the BAT 6200 5 channel amp sounds great with the HT3s and HTC.  I had a Proceed HPA3 and the difference is a much tighter bass and more control overall.  Of course the BAT weighs 200#!!!!  Anyone considering a 5 channel amp should look this one up. :icon_lol:

Sparks

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2006, 12:08 am »
Hi Steve.
Glad you're liking the BAT\HT3.

I finally got my equipment set up in the new room.
The 3-channel 6200 and 3 HT2s are soooo nice.
A friend of mine is a writer for a well-known A\V magazine, has an excellent ear and is well familiar with lots of equipment.
I know he was skeptical of the Salks until he heard them but after an extended audition, he was very impressed.
It's not that I need any validation but it was nice to see that someone who has exposure to a ton of gear felt the same
way that I do.