Crazy idea using multiple drivers

smbrown

Crazy idea using multiple drivers
« on: 2 Apr 2007, 08:00 pm »
I poked around to see if I could find this specific question already, but no. My thought is this, I've got 6 Electro-voice SP12-B's (12" full range, highish Qt, very efficent). I'm using a pair on OB right now, really nice sound! Highly recommend this vintage speaker. Now we all know that below a particular freqency (in my case it seems to be about 200hz), the bass falls off at 6db per octave (right?). So if I add a 2nd speaker to the OB, and low pass to it (1st order) to start rolling on at 200hz, am I covered to another octave? And so on... 3 on a side would get me down even further, each coming on to support the sagging bass of the one above it. The only reason I'm wondering is because I have the additional speakers, and it seems like a neat way to maintain a simple crossover, and avoid an augmetted bass driver.

JohninCR

Re: Crazy idea using multiple drivers
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2007, 08:08 pm »
It's not a crazy idea at all.  You'll just have be careful regarding the load on your amp.  I'd put the 2 bass augmenter drivers on the same filter, so you only have one to worry about and tweak.  They will also be closer to the floor, so you'll pick up even more bass than just from the added drivers.  I wish I had 6 of those to try the same thing.