Drivers for OB computer speakers?

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
Drivers for OB computer speakers?
« on: 19 Mar 2007, 11:44 pm »
Can anyone help with (relatively) inexpensive (not cheap and nasty) full range drive units for a set of open baffle speakers Im going to build for desk top use?

I plan to run these with a Sonic Impact T amp, or the like, so sensitivity will need to be around 90 or so, probably.

They are intended to replace the mono speaker that comes gratis with the Apple Mac Mini I purchased recently so my son could watching skateboarding mpegs. Or at least that's what he told me he wanted it for.

TIA for any suggestions.

Luigi

JohninCR

Re: Drivers for OB computer speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2007, 02:36 am »
Luigi,

Does he have a CRT monitor or and LCD?  That determines whether or not you need shielded drivers.  If he has a flat screen, then the potential selection is vast, and your best bet are car audio or TV replacement drivers.  Cheap can be good, and this route enables you to buy locally and audition drivers first, making it a good father and son outing and project.  Also, for power think about a set of computer speakers with a sub.  Just cannibalize the set to power what you make, and you end up with power and control for an open alignment woofer too, which I'm sure he'll want.  If you shop around, you may get lucky and end up with useful drivers as part of the package.  Before I got into this game, I used an easily cannibalized 4.1 computer sound system with car speakers as my HT setup with plenty of output.

I applaude you for wanting to go OB for him.  He'll be able to listen louder but disturb you less.

Luigi

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2007, 03:19 am »
Hi John

Thanks very much for the advice. Brilliant. He has a new Sony flat LCD screen which is sooo much better than the old iMac CRT screen. Will now go out looking for powered computer speakers and TV replacement drivers. There's an old surplus-tronics shop not far away so should be a good place to start.

Again, thanks for the input. This puts a whole new spin on the project. And it could well work out much cheaper than what I had imagined. Will keep you posted.

JohninCR

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2007, 03:31 am »
Luigi,

Hopefully you can get the shops to connect the drivers for you to listen.  Don't let them use a box.  Just wrapping your hands around the edges of the driver can give you a good idea if it will perform on OB.  Using your hands as a makeshift baffle will tell you a lot, and the sound will come more alive than with no baffle at all going from transistor radio sound to something better instantly.  Be prepared to listen to many drivers that you quickly realize are junk, but diamonds in the rough can be found.  The flipside is that a fancy grill and or bling may be more appealling to your son, so don't throw out the possibility of car drivers, especially those designed for rear deck mounting, because they are built for open air use, IB.  They may be more expensive than the under $5 stuff, but making them pretty is already done for you, leaving just the baffle to build.

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2007, 10:16 am »
I have been a long time eBay guy - so if you audition car speakers locally, and find the price less attractive - just to be sure, do an eBay search for those drivers you like - I outfitted my old Accord with 6 inch coax, and 6x9 3 ways for $125 all in 3 years ago.  Retail for those 4 speakers?  $500...

Luigi

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2007, 09:08 pm »
Update. Forgot I had some old Gallo speakers, the sub/sat Micro system, hanging around in a box. So hooked them up to a Sonic Impact T-amp, ran a minijack to RCA lead into the T-amp, plugged in an old motorbike battery and hey presto. Done and doner.

This is a whopping improvement on the mono speaker in the mini, especially after using the EQ in itunes to bump the bass a little. Boy is very happy.  The other lad has sound sticks II by Karmon Hardon and the Gallos are easily their equal, in all regards.

So I decided I'd better do the same with my iMac. Was around at my cabinet maker mate's place and he had some nice water damaged boxes just the right size to mangle for open baffle desk top speakers. Heh heh. An hour later, I was ready to mount the FE206Es. These also are a vast improvement on the easily overpowered Mac speakers, though anything badly recorded via itunes comes through warts and all. Being monitor like, these speakers easily reveal which tracks need deleting from the library. And I cannot believe what it does to improve appreciation of DVDs.

Thank heavens for left over drivers, cast-aside Sonic Impact amps and water damaged enclosures. A great way of making good use of old audio gear.