First OB in established listening room

nodiak

Re: First OB in established listening room
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2007, 03:25 am »
thanks Doublej, there's a few different models, I think zapper7's use SEAS drivers instead of the Dynaudio of that model and some others. Just thinking it would be good info to narrow the driver flavor search. I think the link I used is archived, as the url was correct.
Will be interesting to hear a comparison to Silverline's.

markC

« Reply #21 on: 8 Feb 2007, 03:33 am »
zapper7,

http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/forum36475/thread.htm
Check out this link for some applications.
I have the Dayton Audio IB 15" drivers, (2), and they provide more than I need. It's always good to have more than you need when it comes to bass.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #22 on: 8 Feb 2007, 05:48 pm »
Doublej,
That is the Sonatina III, I have the Sonata II, a little different.

Nodiak,
I am intrigued by the IB subs, very cool reading, had a Lanzar IB sub in my car once a long time ago, remeber it worked well.

zapper7

« Reply #23 on: 8 Feb 2007, 06:01 pm »
MarkC,
I have an Earthquake MKV 15, are you saying it will be outperformed by the IB sub, say 4 15" drivers in a manifold with appropriate power, that would be great. aa

markC

« Reply #24 on: 8 Feb 2007, 10:21 pm »
Zapper7,
Not sure as I've not heard the mkv 15, but, knowing what 2  ib 15's do for me with a 360W, (into 4 0hms), plate amp, if you had 4 with a little extra juice, since you'll likely be @ 8 ohms with 4, then it's gotta be good! These drivers will move a LOT of air.

zapper7

« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2007, 06:23 pm »
Hey MarkC,
Did the IB sub thing with 4 15" TC-2 subs in 2 manifolds with 450w a side and a dbx EQ, real nice aa

The bass is so different from the box subs I have had, including Def Tech, Velodyne, Earthquake, Tannoy to mention a few. You don't neccessarily notice it when listening for an hour, but turn of the sub amp, and it sounds like the music is cut in half. :o
I find it far more musical, not as many peaks and nulls, the sound you hear at live shows.
I leave it on all the time now with music and movies.

Thanks for the link and info.
Z

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2007, 06:40 pm »
 aa It's a wonderful thing, isn't it!

Bob

markC

« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2007, 09:37 pm »
Your welcome!
The main thing that comes to mind is Effortless. The bottom notes are just there and solid and it doesn't sound like anything is "trying" to recreate those notes.

zapper7

« Reply #28 on: 14 Mar 2007, 03:49 pm »
I agree with the "effortless" term, perfect :drool:.
Still tweaking the inputs-outputs and considering the Hawthornes.
I also saw somw Paudio drivers that look nice, anybody ever have experience with them?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2007, 10:06 pm »
I paid Hurdy Gurdy Dave a visit Saturday for a quick listen.  He runs a 22/44 wpc tube amp with his Hawthorne Silver Iris and can switch in and out two attic mounted 15 inch Augies that run off his Citation 16 amp.  For most music the addition of the subs have a rather minimal effect.  If you're into "brown sound" then Dave's  I.B. powered sub is the real deal.  BTW he's using a rather small (about 24 inch by 36 inch) baffle.

Those Silver Iris sell for $290/pair and are very efficient.  The amount of bass they can do still amaze me.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2007, 02:43 pm »
Here's my latest creation for the Hawthorne Silver Iris Coaxial and Augies (Both generation Augies):
Scroll about halfway down the page. Wonderful sounding drivers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=36862.180

Bob

zapper7

« Reply #31 on: 20 Mar 2007, 04:03 pm »
Yeh, everything looks great.
Will still have to be better than my Silverline Sonantas to stay in the room, but is probably worth a try at $290 for the pair.

SOOOOOO tempting :drool:

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #32 on: 24 Mar 2007, 05:09 pm »
I paid Hurdy Gurdy Dave a visit Saturday for a quick listen.  He runs a 22/44 wpc tube amp with his Hawthorne Silver Iris and can switch in and out two attic mounted 15 inch Augies that run off his Citation 16 amp.  For most music the addition of the subs have a rather minimal effect.  If you're into "brown sound" then Dave's  I.B. powered sub is the real deal.  BTW he's using a rather small (about 24 inch by 36 inch) baffle.

Those Silver Iris sell for $290/pair and are very efficient.  The amount of bass they can do still amaze me.
Hey Jeff, thanks for the mention. I need to make a couple of corrections, though. The attic subs are Hawthorne Audio 15" I.B.-B.A.D.'s. They are not yet available, but may be soon. Also, my baffles for the SI 15 Coaxials are 18" wide by 24" tall and slanted back around 12 degrees.
For the curious, the amp used for my SI Coaxials is a TAD-60 tube amp run (usually) in triode mode with no feedback used.

Here's a link to the not-yet-finished OB's I have:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10004&pos=-377

Dave :)