Tools of the Trade
« on: 28 Oct 2006, 12:55 pm »
With the holidays coming up - I am considering asking Santa for tools to
assist in the building of speaker cabinets. From a article on the web, I guess
it should start with:

a decent table saw
a router table
various clamps

I have the basic power tools, drill, jig, sander.

So what would be needed to make simple cabinets, open baffles panels etc. on my own?
Specific models from Sears, for example, would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff

JoshK

Re: Tools of the Trade
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2006, 04:21 pm »
You got the important ones (TS, Router, Clamps).  A Jasper jig is extremely useful.  Measurement tools is super nice too, as in a mic/micpreamp/soundcard/software(much is free).

You should ask for some of the important router bits for cabinet building.  Ones I can think of are:
Spiral upcut bit (for circle cutting)
Flush trim bit (for trimming veneer)
Pattern cutter is nice for flattening out edges following a known straight guide.  You can also use your flush trim bit if you leave a little extra hangover after gluing up. I use a jointer, which is ultra nice but they are a bit expensive.
Any roundover bit or chamfer bit you may want to use on cabinet edges.

I suggest getting nice router bits for the ones you'll use often for cabinet building.  I've snapped some of the cheaper ones.  In the end it is more expensive to buy twice then to buy nice.

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2006, 05:36 pm »
Hi Jeff,
    I agree with Josh's recommendations. In fact you can build the whole cabinet with a hand drill, circular saw, router, bits, circle cutter, and straight edge/guide ( a 4' metal level works, if long enough - I have an 8' x 2" x 6" rectangular aluminum "tubing" for longer runs. This is the material used in framing large buildings like supermarkets. I got two from a metal scrap yard for $15).
    A DIY sawboard is very handy if you're not going to set up a shop. I cut the panels to within 1/4" using a sawboard and a circular saw, then after glue up flush trim and corner radius (if) with router. I use saw horses or just 2x4's to support the large sheets. I do this outside to keep the shop clean and healthier, especially with mdf. Unless you HAVE ( :wink:) to have a table saw you could save your money for other parts.
    BTW, sorry but I haven't had as good luck with Craftsman (or Skil) power tools as with Delta, Bosch, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Hitachi - although all those have lemons too (we're dealing with cheaply and quickly manufactured objects with moving parts  :roll:). Last year I bought some reconditioned Bosch tools that are holding up. Some Sears stores sell some of these brands. Man, I hate recommending tools but here goes  :lol: ...

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm (also click on the Index link, bottom of page)

http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned_tools/?ref=googaffl977   

http://cpoworkshop.com/reconditioned_tools/?ref=googaff

Don

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2006, 03:49 am »
My Porter Cable Cicular saw was $120 (I think) at The Home Depot. A $14 attatchment that has paid for itself is an edge guide.
It eliminates the need for a table saw for "baffle / enclosure" sizes pieces. But you won't be cutting very wide panels with it.
One tip when buying a circular saw, look for the bottom 'plate' to be made of something other than stamped steel. Tends to warp/bend over the years causing the blade to bind and wander.
This unit has a magnesium plate. Very nice.

A <$100 Bosch plunge router with the "set of bits" found at Home Depot has proved itself indespensable.
Couldn't find a circle cutting jig at a few local stores, so I made one in about 30 minutes out of "luan", I think it's spelled.
As it turns out, it's a pretty useful DIY tool. I'll eventually buy one that has thousands of exact/predrilled holes.
It's mandatory to cut drivers holes. Make it so easy for perfect holes.

When I build my two baffles, I clamped them together and used a belt sander around all edges. Just to make sure they're nice and smooth, and the same dimentions before the router came out to 'dress' the edges.
Besides, I'm lazy. I can't stand hand sanding.

Other than that I think it's been covered.

Bob