Finding a new home for my…

Millicent Bystander

Finding a new home for my…
« on: 16 Apr 2018, 10:55 pm »
I’m immigrating. The cost of shipping is prohibitive and means I have to sell my X-LS Encores and matching X-Subs.

Build Images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ebn5v1uu7aotvu1/AAApZEZT1clt3xPfZAnxq02wa?dl=0

Final Images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uhq75yvutw4kda7/AAASTCYmVdCGL3hKhYAcLtlBa?dl=0

Other than Craigslist and Facebook, where should I advertise?

flavo

Re: Finding a new home for my…
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2018, 11:48 pm »
I would start with the AC trading post for sure. I'd imagine you will take a beating on what you have into those. They really look great in the pics.
Where are you and what are you looking to get for them?

Millicent Bystander

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2018, 11:53 pm »
Hi Flavo
I'll take a look at the AC trading post, thanks.

I'm in Palm Coast, Florida. I've about $700 into the build. But I'm realistic, I know there's not much demand for DIY gear so would be looking for as close to $500 as poss.

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:32 am »
Damn, those are nice. I'm not saying what you can or cannot get for the $ amount, but I'd suspect more than $500. They don't look DIY.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:11 pm »
Man, those look nice. So where are they now?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:45 pm »
I imagine shipping to the West Coast would be expensive. Any clue how much it would cost to ship to 97035?

Are the XOs upraded or original?

Millicent Bystander

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2018, 01:58 pm »
Hi Danny, They're in Palm Coast, Florida.

Craigslist: https://staugustine.craigslist.org/ele/6561100743.html

My girlfriend also put them on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Swip%20Swap%20Palm%20Coast%20speakers

Hi Mresseguie, the OX's are original (i honestly couldn't imagine them sounding better). I haven't looked into shipping elsewhere yet as I was hoping to find a local sale. I'll do a UPS calculation on 97035 and let you know.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2018, 03:06 pm »
As good ad they sound now they can sound better. I’ve listened to that speaker with the stock crossover, upgraded caps & resistors on the stock crossover, a point to point wired crossover with all components upgraded, and the point to point crossover with by-pass caps added.

Each one sounds better than the one before it.

Also, tube connectors are another upgrade that improves the sound.

It was a fully upgraded version that won a shoot out a few years back. I’m on my phone so can’t find the link right now. Maybe someone else can post it here before I get home tonight to find it.

These are seriously good speakers as they are and at $500 more than worth whatever shipping will cost. If nobodyelse buys them let me know.

Mike

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:19 pm »
 Why don't you just sell the subs and take X-LS's? They are small enough.

Millicent Bystander

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:38 pm »
Not a bad idea Charmerci... hadn't considered that.

With some clever packing and hard luggage that could work.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:44 pm »
There are audio societies that have regular meetings.  There's one up in Jacksonville and there's The Space Coast Audio Society.  You can Google them and get on the email lists and have your stuff circulated locally to more interested parties vs. something more general than Craigslist.

Millicent Bystander

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:48 pm »
Phil, thanks for that. I'll look them up now.

Millicent Bystander

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2018, 05:22 pm »
OK Gents
I looked into shipping costs and used Mresseguie's location of 97035.

I used the following details for the quote:

x2 Boxes 18 x 18 x 24 28lbs each - Subwoofers

x2 Boxes 18 x 18 x 16 20lbs each - Speakers

x1 Box 24 x 24 x 44 52lbs - Both stands

UPS $618
FedEx $812

The thinking was to use double walled cardboard boxes and rigid foam insulation boards from HomeDepot, but the shipping cost is just ridiculous!

Shipping the stands in the killer tho  :(

UPS
2x Subs  $188
2x X-LS  $144
1x Stands  $286

FedEx
2x Subs  $240
2x X-LS  $195
1x Stands  $377

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2018, 07:20 pm »
Try parcel monkey
https://www.parcelmonkey.com/

should save you / the purchaser a signifigant amount

jay

Angaria

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2018, 09:27 pm »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2018, 12:18 am »
Those prices are actually pretty competitive.

Personally, anything big like that I ship through an independent. Here in Tulsa I use Box Brokers. They have contracts with multiple LTL shippers.

This results in lower prices but more importantly, the ability for third party insurance that is really insurance, not the declared value nonsense of UPS and FexEx. What you do is box everything up then strap it to a pallet to get pallet rates. If you can't build the pallet yourself the shipper can do it.

It's still going to cost a fair chunk of change. When I sent a palatalized shipment of three X-CS Encores, two speaker stands with dual 8" subwoofers and HX300 amps built in, a Marantz SR series AVR, and a box with cabling from Tulsa, OK to Portland, OR it cost me a little over $500 (including building the pallet).

Shipping large and/or heavy objects, especially with good insurance, isn't cheap.

Mike

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2018, 09:38 am »
They certainly look super nice.  Shipping is always the killer. I sold some parts from a (new) car that had been totaled, and trying to ship the car mats was more than I was going to ask for them.

jpm

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2018, 06:59 pm »
Where are you emigrating to?

restrav

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2018, 07:24 pm »
how mucj does it cost to ship to 18102 without the stands?

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2018, 03:47 pm »
Those prices are actually pretty competitive.

Personally, anything big like that I ship through an independent. Here in Tulsa I use Box Brokers. They have contracts with multiple LTL shippers.

This results in lower prices but more importantly, the ability for third party insurance that is really insurance, not the declared value nonsense of UPS and FexEx. What you do is box everything up then strap it to a pallet to get pallet rates. If you can't build the pallet yourself the shipper can do it.

It's still going to cost a fair chunk of change. When I sent a palatalized shipment of three X-CS Encores, two speaker stands with dual 8" subwoofers and HX300 amps built in, a Marantz SR series AVR, and a box with cabling from Tulsa, OK to Portland, OR it cost me a little over $500 (including building the pallet).

Shipping large and/or heavy objects, especially with good insurance, isn't cheap.

Mike

We had an account witha   "reputable"  shipping broker that offered   LtL options,  we  were not shipping  pallets.  The  process turned into a  nightmare, delivery arangements weren't kept and then we  were  charged additional fees,  lift gate fees were added when  lift gates were not  used ( they told us after the fact  that we had to prove they weren't used  with  video,  residential  delivery fees added to   clearly commercial  address.... there  is no  dealing with these guys  once they   decide they are  going to add charges after the quote  and after the delivery  has been  made,  they  just get added to the account  and  if you want to dispute you'd better have  video.  That being said, it was only one company,  Mike, you  are obviously having better  luck   :)

Parcel Monkey  has been great  thus far, no issues.  You  can  choose your preferred courier from a list they offer,  rates, transit times etc are shown for each option offered.  Once the  package is picked up, it's tracked via the  couriers   website as usual.  the rates I've been   getting from PM  are better than  the  "reputable broker's" LTL rates, even before the addtional  charges were added to  many of our shipments

That's just our experience ,  yrmv.

jay