Replacing the VR4 sock

Virtualconcats

Replacing the VR4 sock
« on: 15 Jan 2017, 03:01 pm »
Has anyone replaced the sock with another fabric cover?  My VR4 will now be placed in the living room and will be on display.  Apparently black doesn't go with the decor according to someone.

Recommendations of fabric and to the extent of how to replace it would be welcome. 

illenema

Re: Replacing the VR4 sock
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2018, 09:23 pm »
No Replies on this thread I see..

SundayNiagara

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2018, 09:52 pm »
Ask VSA?

danabunner

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2018, 07:03 am »
Wish I could help.  I've owned my VR4s for almost 22 years and have never figured out how to get that sock off.  I've never seen the drivers except by shining a flashlight through the fabric.  Although it is not the original fabric, as I sent mine in for the VR-5/7 upgrade and they replaced the fabric with one slightly different. 

Bob Stark

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2018, 12:35 pm »
I had the Von Schweikert Vortex Screens for many years.  Initially I had to take the sock off because the top portion of the speakers broke twice in shipping--the second after they were shipped back and reshipped.  A friend of mine showed me how to fix them like new.  These were the predecessor to the VR-4's back in the early 90's.  The sock fitting MAY be the same on both.  I had to unscrew the bottom of the speaker--it had a 2" thick MDF board that was angled in front.  This allowed access to the end of the sock.  The sock was held on by maybe 20 staples from a typical staple gun.  Lift those out with a flat bladed screwdriver.  This freed the sock to partially remove.  Then gently slide the sock up the speaker until it reaches the top of the enclosure.  The difference in speakers is you have 2 separate enclosures for each speaker.  Mine was only one each.  The top decorative board should be able to be removed, also.

I'm remembering back from a procedure I did 28 years ago, so I would definitely call Albert VS and discuss this with him.  Plus, he's the only one who might be able to direct you to a proper fitting sock, hopefully in the color you're hoping for.  I'm thinking there be beige or a light gray as options.  Good luck.

Bob

illenema

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2018, 06:16 pm »
Hello Wondering if you ever got a response for replacement socks for the Vr-4