Maggie MGIII tweeter attenuation resistor question

simoon

Maggie MGIII tweeter attenuation resistor question
« on: 24 Sep 2015, 07:23 pm »
So, I am near the end of my MGIII refurb process and the last step is to install a resistor to attenuate the tweeters a bit.

Of course, in later  models, Magnepan made the process easy to facilitate by the installation of the attenuator sockets.

I can not find a diagram online specifically for MGIII, but all the other diagrams I found show the resistor right after the fuse and before the first cap.

I just wanted someone else to verify the obvious.

Thanks!

andyr

Re: Maggie MGIII tweeter attenuation resistor question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2015, 05:25 am »
So, I am near the end of my MGIII refurb process and the last step is to install a resistor to attenuate the tweeters a bit.

Of course, in later  models, Magnepan made the process easy to facilitate by the installation of the attenuator sockets.

I can not find a diagram online specifically for MGIII, but all the other diagrams I found show the resistor right after the fuse and before the first cap.

I just wanted someone else to verify the obvious.

Thanks!

It doesn't really matter where the resistor goes - on the '-ve' leg of the ribbon or the '+ve' leg.  So if "right after the fuse and before the first cap" is convenient for you ... do it!  :)

I suggest that while soldering a res in place will give you the best sound (compared to using those exacrable Magnepan connectors) you want an ability to swap resistors easily while trying them out, until you decide which value gives you the right treble balance, in your room.  This could be 0.5 ohm, 1 ohm, 1.2 ohm ... or even 1.5 ohm.  Mills 5w wire-wound resistors would be good.

Andy