Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1500 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:09 pm »
Speaking of binding posts, does the plastic thing in the middle come out? I was trying to insert banana plugs and can't.

I got mine used, but I think many amps come with little plastic caps that need to be removed by the user as a result of being able to insert a schuko plug in them. If you take a drywall screw and screw in it hand-tight the caps should pull right out.

Why don't you guys use the Speakon connectors?

I don't want to modify any of my own speaker cables just for this amp. I prefer copper spades.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1501 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:23 pm »

Are there advantages to them?

a.wayne

« Reply #1502 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:27 pm »
I got mine used, but I think many amps come with little plastic caps that need to be removed by the user as a result of being able to insert a schuko plug in them. If you take a drywall screw and screw in it hand-tight the caps should pull right out.

I don't want to modify any of my own speaker cables just for this amp. I prefer copper spades.

Prefer raw wire myself ..:)

Are there advantages to them?

Yes, better than the binding post ....

JohnR

« Reply #1503 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:27 pm »
Speakons are brilliant. I don't know why anybody would use anything else.

Er, that is, unless you haven't gotten around to making your Speakon cables yet.  :peek:

PS Thanks Dave for the tip, I will try that.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1504 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:33 pm »
If speakons were standard equipment in most amps I'd use them but outside of the pro sound market they are unheard of. The Pomona copper posts aren't too expensive, and are probably a bit better than speakons as far as materials go anyways.

JohnR

« Reply #1505 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:45 pm »
outside of the pro sound market they are unheard of.

That's not quite true... but maybe the solution is to "hear" people about them? ;) Every time I use I use Speakons (or XLRs, for that matter), I think to myself "now this is how it should be done"... I'm so tired of wrestling with RCAs that won't come off (or won't stay on), panel-mount sockets that unscrew themselves, binding posts that bind, and/or need an impact driver to tighten (OK I'm exaggerating but there are manufacturers that recommend using spanners...)... it's just nuts. IMHO :-P

Anyway, back on topic! I have a pair of XLS1500 and used them to good effect at a recent gathering where I set up an "impromptu" active loudspeaker. I used one for the sub and one for the woofers. Comments were positive.

a.wayne

« Reply #1506 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:59 pm »
If speakons were standard equipment in most amps I'd use them but outside of the pro sound market they are unheard of. The Pomona copper posts aren't too expensive, and are probably a bit better than speakons as far as materials go anyways.

A lot of SOTA speaker manufacturers use speakon connectors ...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1507 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:01 pm »
Every time I use I use Speakons (or XLRs, for that matter), I think to myself "now this is how it should be done"... I'm so tired of wrestling with RCAs that won't come off (or won't stay on), panel-mount sockets that unscrew themselves, binding posts that bind, and/or need an impact driver to tighten (OK I'm exaggerating but there are manufacturers that recommend using spanners...)... it's just nuts. IMHO :-P

Anyway, back on topic! I have a pair of XLS1500 and used them to good effect at a recent gathering where I set up an "impromptu" active loudspeaker. I used one for the sub and one for the woofers. Comments were positive.

I agree, RCAs and binding posts are archaic, and good ones cost too much money. It would be nice if everyone would agree on up-to-date standards for both connections and electrical.

I'm about to replace the plate amp on my sub with an XLS, the plate amp is old and the controls seem to be wearing out/not working properly and the speaker-level inputs don't work at all anymore. I think the XLS will be an improvement, we will see.... Some of the other Crown amps have a more flexible DSP built-in, but for sub use the 24 dB slope should work out fine.

JohnR

« Reply #1508 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:07 pm »
I haven't used the crossover in the Crown, but have never had a problem with 24dB/octave. I think the newer model of the XLS has the more flexible DSP although I forget what it is exactly.

I'm still astounded at how cheaply you guys can get these for. I'd buy at least a couple more at your current price... !

Odal3

« Reply #1509 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:23 pm »
So what's the going price in your area?

JohnR

« Reply #1510 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:29 pm »
So what's the going price in your area?

About USD500. I got my pair about USD100 each off that.

I'm aware that I can get them shipped from Amazon, but they are set for 120V and having been through the whole voltage conversion thing before, I would prefer not to.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #1511 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:44 pm »
Speaking of binding posts, does the plastic thing in the middle come out? I was trying to insert banana plugs and can't.

I slid my banana plugs in from the side and put electrical tape behind them so they don't touch the casing, maybe yours are larger than mine?

JohnR

« Reply #1512 on: 27 Oct 2015, 04:10 pm »
I slid my banana plugs in from the side

Um...  :lol:  I don't see how to do that! The ones I have are just all plastic, there's no way to get any electrical contact other than inserting a bare wire from the top. That I can figure.... I will try Dave's screw trick tomorrow.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #1513 on: 27 Oct 2015, 05:39 pm »
Um...  :lol:  I don't see how to do that! The ones I have are just all plastic, there's no way to get any electrical contact other than inserting a bare wire from the top. That I can figure.... I will try Dave's screw trick tomorrow.

I guess that did sound a bit funny reading it again. Yes, I mean the side of the binding posts and yes the holes run top to bottom. I put electrical tape just above the binding post on the back of the amp and slid the banana plug in from the top side of the binding post and tightened the post down. It works fine but looks a bit funny because the binding post sticks up past the top of the amp.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1514 on: 27 Oct 2015, 05:47 pm »
I just checked my 2nd XLS amp and the plastic plugs do just pull right out using a screw, then you can use the bananas the conventional way.

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #1515 on: 27 Oct 2015, 06:15 pm »
I just checked my 2nd XLS amp and the plastic plugs do just pull right out using a screw, then you can use the bananas the conventional way.

This is great Dave, I had no idea you could do this or that it was even an option. I wondered why the posts didn't except banana plug :scratch:

jk@home

« Reply #1516 on: 27 Oct 2015, 06:19 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, they put the plastic plugs into the binding posts to meet EU electrical safety regulations. They are real easy to remove.

a.wayne

« Reply #1517 on: 27 Oct 2015, 06:21 pm »
Damn

maxima95

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1519 on: 27 Oct 2015, 06:44 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, they put the plastic plugs into the binding posts to meet EU electrical safety regulations. They are real easy to remove.

Yes, schuko plugs fit into binding posts unfortunately. Not sure why someone would put one in an amplifier but apparently it has been done...  :icon_lol:

Drywall/decking screws work well for removing the plugs, they only need to be hand tight to have enough grip to pull them out.

The Pomona posts do make a nice improvement though, probably even better if you remove the stock "wiring" and replace with actual copper wire. I will do so one of these days, along with better RCA jacks.