Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

mcgsxr

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1480 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:01 pm »
I run my gain at 1:30-2:00 via XLR inputs and into my Maggie 1.6's.

I know that there are better amps out there, but man for the $, this is an excellent piece.

For an audio scrounger like me, it represents tremendous value!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1481 on: 13 Oct 2015, 03:29 pm »
I'm currently powering Pioneer S-1EX speakers with the Crown XLS 1500 with excellent results. They are 3-way 89 dB efficient speakers, the impedance is 6 ohm nominal but drops a bit in the mid bass, probably not a great combo with a high output impedance tube amp but the Crown is doing great.

I have an Odyssey Stratos I am planning on using but I need to get my zero-gain preamp done first as the Stratos has too much gain to use with my Aikido preamp (20 dB).

Comparison coming in a few weeks or so.  :green:   And the Pioneers are amazing, very close to perfection.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1482 on: 13 Oct 2015, 06:45 pm »
Those look like great speakers. CONGRATS.

Jazzaudio

« Reply #1483 on: 26 Oct 2015, 03:16 am »
I received a brand new Cullen Crossover power cable this week, and initially placed it on the isolation transformer that plugs into the wall.  I figured this would speed up the cable's settling process since everything, to include the TV, is plugged into the Iso (and runs in standby mode when not in use).  I heard a very slight reduction of the sound stage, but nothing drastic...it was more of instruments and voices sounding closer together.  Out of curiosity, and after a day of use (20-24 hours or so), I placed the new cable on my Jolida tube output CDP and pretty much heard about the same thing: everything still clear and "chimey," just a little closed in.  After another 6 hours of music time (give or take a half hour) I placed the cable on the XLS-1500.  Not only did the sound stage drastically collapse to the inner edges of the speakers,  the sound became distinctively hazy as if someone was standing in front of both speakers.  In addition, the volume was reduced: not a full turn lower on the gain knobs, but noticeable.   I spent the next hour going through  a handful of Modern Jazz Quartet cd's, and Milt Jackson's xylophone highlighted what I was hearing.  An immediate swap of the new cable from the XLS-1500 to the CDP: back to normal (with the slight bunching of instruments and/or voices.)  It made me seriously think about getting the XLS power supply mod.

On a side note, MJQ with the Swingle Singers: out of bounds, shut the front door!!!!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #1484 on: 26 Oct 2015, 05:12 am »
I'm currently powering Pioneer S-1EX speakers with the Crown XLS 1500...

I have an Odyssey Stratos...

Comparison coming in a few weeks or so.  :green:

How's that comparison coming?

And the Pioneers are amazing, very close to perfection.

I thought you were a full range single driver kind of guy; can you elaborate more on the above?

Folsom

« Reply #1485 on: 26 Oct 2015, 05:49 am »
I received a brand new Cullen Crossover power cable this week, and initially placed it on the isolation transformer that plugs into the wall.  I figured this would speed up the cable's settling process since everything, to include the TV, is plugged into the Iso (and runs in standby mode when not in use).  I heard a very slight reduction of the sound stage, but nothing drastic...it was more of instruments and voices sounding closer together.  Out of curiosity, and after a day of use (20-24 hours or so), I placed the new cable on my Jolida tube output CDP and pretty much heard about the same thing: everything still clear and "chimey," just a little closed in.  After another 6 hours of music time (give or take a half hour) I placed the cable on the XLS-1500.  Not only did the sound stage drastically collapse to the inner edges of the speakers,  the sound became distinctively hazy as if someone was standing in front of both speakers.  In addition, the volume was reduced: not a full turn lower on the gain knobs, but noticeable.   I spent the next hour going through  a handful of Modern Jazz Quartet cd's, and Milt Jackson's xylophone highlighted what I was hearing.  An immediate swap of the new cable from the XLS-1500 to the CDP: back to normal (with the slight bunching of instruments and/or voices.)  It made me seriously think about getting the XLS power supply mod.

On a side note, MJQ with the Swingle Singers: out of bounds, shut the front door!!!!

It's possible the dampening would help, in the XLS power supply filter.

a.wayne

« Reply #1486 on: 26 Oct 2015, 12:04 pm »
Those look like great speakers. CONGRATS.
They won't fit in the GTI for sure ... :)

a.wayne

« Reply #1487 on: 26 Oct 2015, 12:08 pm »
  I spent the next hour going through  a handful of Modern Jazz Quartet cd's, and Milt Jackson's xylophone highlighted what I was hearing.  An immediate swap of the new cable from the XLS-1500 to the CDP: back to normal (with the slight bunching of instruments and/or voices.)  It made me seriously think about getting the XLS power supply mod.

What is the power supply Mod ...?

mcgsxr

« Reply #1488 on: 26 Oct 2015, 12:10 pm »
I am happy with my XLS 1500 running an older Bolder Cable Nitro PC.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #1489 on: 26 Oct 2015, 01:51 pm »
How's that comparison coming?

I thought you were a full range single driver kind of guy; can you elaborate more on the above?

I went to a mountain bike festival in Moab this weekend instead of working on my zero-gain tube buffer preamp so the comparison is a ways down the road. Couple more weeks probably... the Stratos has, imo, too much gain so my current tube preamp doesn't really work out... I need zero gain, not + 20 dB.

I still like single drivers, but the Pioneers are great too. Concentric drivers help a lot with cohesiveness plus the Pioneers are almost full range and make a good reference. They are basically 3rd tier down from TAD REf 1s and very close in sound to the TAD Evolution towers, sharing the same concentric drivers. For the money ($10k new) they are probably the best value that's ever been offered in HiFi audio but because they are Pioneer nobody bought them and they were discontinued after only a few years. They rarely come up for sale so I had to jump on the chance to buy a pair when I could. They have actually been appreciating on the used market because of their scarcity and people maybe realizing what they are. There are only a handful of speakers I think are better regardless of price. That said they are maybe too perfect, I think the additional distortion provided by paper coned drivers makes some acoustic instruments sound more realistic, but for a speaker to serve as a reference they are very good and will be an asset to my business.

Folsom

« Reply #1490 on: 26 Oct 2015, 02:19 pm »

What is the power supply Mod ...?

He's probably referring to what I did on several forum members XLS's.

-dampen the CMC's
-remove line Y caps (neutrals remain)
-replace the diode bridge in PFC section (with an extremely nice bridge) and then I decouple it as well
-bypass cheap reset switch

-The binding post swap is an option too.*

Sorry, this isn't meant to be advertising, just information on what already has happened.

a.wayne

« Reply #1491 on: 26 Oct 2015, 03:14 pm »
Is it as good as an NC400 when done ... ?

Folsom

« Reply #1492 on: 26 Oct 2015, 04:39 pm »
Is it as good as an NC400 when done ... ?

I don't know, I didn't have an NC400 around at the time.

a.wayne

« Reply #1493 on: 26 Oct 2015, 08:47 pm »
Tks, the question was necessary to get an idea how competitive the  XLS is compared to other class-D amplifiers in the 1K price range, only to see if they are worth modifying or moving on.

Regards..

Folsom

« Reply #1494 on: 26 Oct 2015, 09:23 pm »
Tomy2Tone might be able to tell you.

It depends on the price of the XLS. If you get one for $125-200, you've got under $400 in it with modifications. You could even have it dunked for cryo, and still make it out fairly cheap for the amount of power.

mcgsxr

« Reply #1495 on: 26 Oct 2015, 10:14 pm »
I think it is pretty system and user dependent - the question of how good these amps are.

I am keeping mine, that is for sure.  It has been cryo'd and has had the binding posts replaced.

I used to use other amp styles.   I have run digital amps from Panasonic, JVC, Teac (all those are from around 10 years ago), I have run Class A amps from Magnavox and Sugden, and I have run A/B amps from B&K, Sugden, Yamaha and Pioneer.

I find this XLS 1500 works very well with my Nuforce preamp, and my Magneplanar 1.6's, and the MMG's I had before the 1.6's.

There are better amps, no doubt.  But i am not buying any of them for a while.

a.wayne

« Reply #1496 on: 26 Oct 2015, 10:21 pm »
What changes with the cryo and binding post, have to agree the binding post sucks on them in stock form ...

mcgsxr

« Reply #1497 on: 27 Oct 2015, 11:22 am »
I picked up the amp with the mods already done. 

If you go back far enough in this thread you can read about what others thought about this amp.  There are members here who heard it. 

JohnR

« Reply #1498 on: 27 Oct 2015, 01:09 pm »
Speaking of binding posts, does the plastic thing in the middle come out? I was trying to insert banana plugs and can't.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #1499 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:08 pm »
Why don't you guys use the Speakon connectors?