The World's Number One Audiophile

ohenry

Re: The World's Number One Audiophile
« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2007, 12:06 pm »
I disagree with the dismissing of this guy's passion for audio, although he is the consummate gear pack rat.  The article showed his love for music by recounting that he could wade through his massive music collection and adeptly lay hands on the selections that he wanted to play.  That shows his head and heart are in the right place IMO. And... he freely shares. :thumb:

I try not to let envy taint my opinions of those more fortunate, and I'm more than a little envious of his resources.  I'd love to spend a few weeks discovering his collection of equipment and music.

Parnelli777

« Reply #41 on: 11 Dec 2007, 01:29 pm »

BrianM

« Reply #42 on: 11 Dec 2007, 02:34 pm »
This fellow here has far more interesting stuff, imo.

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Vanguard/room4/room4.htm

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Vanguard/room3/room3.htm

The stuff is interesting.  The arrangement, not so much.  Someone should tell him there's a big glass coffee table in the middle of the room.

I like the TT that looks like a giant sewing machine.

95bcwh

« Reply #43 on: 11 Dec 2007, 03:11 pm »
Word! :thumb: :thumb:

I disagree with the dismissing of this guy's passion for audio, although he is the consummate gear pack rat.  The article showed his love for music by recounting that he could wade through his massive music collection and adeptly lay hands on the selections that he wanted to play.  That shows his head and heart are in the right place IMO. And... he freely shares. :thumb:

I try not to let envy taint my opinions of those more fortunate, and I'm more than a little envious of his resources.  I'd love to spend a few weeks discovering his collection of equipment and music.

JoshK

« Reply #44 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:39 pm »
Seriously, I wonder why people who are building dedicated rooms from the ground up build with opposing parallel surfaces and then have to put extra acoustic treatment in afterwards because of it. It isn't that much harder to make a space where there are no "standing wave generators".

I question this critique.  If one were to make the side walls, for example, start at one distance apart and slowly widen out, all you are doing is average out the frequency of the standing wave mode.  Note also that at the frequency in question (low freq, long wave) you aren't spreading it out that much because it take a huge amount of variation (in distance between walls) at this wave length to make an appreciable difference (its exponential, not linear).  So I don't see how this could be easily done differently without just slightly changing the frequency affected. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #45 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:54 pm »
Yes, I can't know or judge the level of his passion, but measuring a boy by his toys doesn't cut it with me.  I'm much more impressed by the audiophiles that design/build equipment and that know/perform music.

The mega-systems I've heard remind me more of artifical/hyped big box stuff (more impressive to be sure) than the heart/soul/essence of music.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #46 on: 12 Dec 2007, 11:50 pm »
I've not been in Winston's room but he has great ears.   Terry is right about that.

I think we should give out an annual award.   It could be something voted upon by the media with some involvement from the peanut gallery.   My vote is for Terry Olsen.   Anyone who can enjoy listening to Radio Shack speakers as much as Terry does deserves it.

TONEPUB

« Reply #47 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:16 am »
Mr Li has certainly spent plenty of money on equipment, however I really don't see much (or any) room treatments. I'm really not that impressed with "stuff" and brand names with high price tags, it really depends on how well it's integrated into a complete, competent system.
I've listed my picks for #1 Audiophile. They're both members of our audio club (Pacific Northwest Audio Society) and have served as judges at every one of our Bi-Annual DIY Speaker Contest, "The Puget Sound!"
They seem to be much more concerned with the "sound" of their systems and room than Mr. Li , at least in my opinion.

First is Winston Ma
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue7/maroom.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom2.htm

Second is Mike Lavigne:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

Best Regards,
TerryO

How can you make comments about someone you don't know?

Who cares if you aren't impressed with his collection?  I'm sure
he didn't buy it to impress you or me...

Why do these things always have to turn into a pissing contest?

It looks like he has a lot of fun collecting stuff, that's what collectors
do.  For many of those people I've met, they get as much enjoyment
out of the procurement as they do listening, sometimes more but
that's what makes THEM happy.

Why is that wrong?

I guess if we would have run that story, I wouldn't have called Mr. Li
the "world's number one audiophile" because it just opens up discussions
with this kind of stuff.  Why does he have to be measured at all?

And so those of us that have good systems, but haven't built them ourselves
and aren't musicians aren't worthy? 

This is why this industry is in a downward spiral.  No one can keep the
elitists happy....

95bcwh

« Reply #48 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:21 am »
It's just a fact of life, that no matter how good you are, you can't make everybody happy, people can always find reason to fault you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #49 on: 13 Dec 2007, 01:25 am »
I know Terry and he is about as far from elite as you can get.... in a good way. 

I'm sure he came off wrong in that post.  He is a humble guy and really loves the hobby.   He has an opinion but I'm sure he isn't bashing anyone.   

The Internet has its limitations in terms of communication and I think a lot of times people don't come off like they would in person.    That is very much the case in this situation.

BrianM

« Reply #50 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:31 am »

Speaking only for myself, I suppose I can comment on anybody who clearly acquires more stuff than they could ever hope to make use of.  Needing to own ten different gargantuan six-figure stereo systems is just silliness.  The bit about making them available to the public or whatever is clearly an afterthought; the need to acquire them undoubtedly came first.

It looks like he has a lot of fun collecting stuff, that's what collectors do.

And you could justify anything with this logic. Any behavior is okay as long as you're an X.  I'm an X, and that's just what X's do!  Jerry Seinfeld owns 100 Porsches, all parked in an airplane hangar.  Why?  He's a collector!  Not a bored gazillionaire with more money than he knows what to do with -- a bona fide Porsche aficionado.  Well, anybody can be a Porsche enthusiast if they have a hundred million in the bank.  It doesn't say anything in particular about a person's actual taste or appreciation.  (I'm sure Jerry appreciates his cars.  I'm just not obligated to be impressed by his dedication, right?)

For many of those people I've met, they get as much enjoyment

What is this, the hedonist manifesto?  If he's happy, great.  (But can you see into his soul??   :wink:)  That isn't going to stop people from having opinions on his means of obtaining happiness.  Such is life.  Procurement is fleeting; that's why there's a need to keep procuring ad infinitum.  I personally find that to be perfectly irrational behavior, usually propped up by circular rationales like "this is what makes me happy."  (No, it's what makes you irrational.)  Anyone who thinks "happiness" is to be found by methods so superficial as that doesn't know what being happy means.  IMO.

Why is that wrong?

It's not "wrong" in any black and white sense.  It's just irrational.  And his money could no doubt be better spent, but hey, whose couldn't.  He's just got more to blow.

I agree with this; it's a silly set of requirements to insist on.

elitists happy....

This strikes me as non sequitur, but maybe you have something unexpressed in mind.

Sorry, guess the mood struck me to fisk this one.  Cheers!  :)

stereocilia

« Reply #51 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:32 am »
This fellow here has far more interesting stuff, imo.

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Vanguard/room4/room4.htm

http://www.gokudo.co.jp/Vanguard/room3/room3.htm

Please tell me that's a giant Klangfilm horn-loaded alarm clock in room 3.

howiebrou

« Reply #52 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:44 am »

Who cares if you aren't impressed with his collection?  I'm sure
he didn't buy it to impress you or me...

Why do these things always have to turn into a pissing contest?

It looks like he has a lot of fun collecting stuff, that's what collectors
do.  For many of those people I've met, they get as much enjoyment

Why is that wrong?

I guess if we would have run that story, I wouldn't have called Mr. Li
the "world's number one audiophile" because it just opens up discussions
with this kind of stuff.  Why does he have to be measured at all?

elitists happy....

Couldn't agree more Jeff.  :dunno:

If he could read these comments, I am sure he would piss his pants....

TONEPUB

« Reply #53 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:04 am »

Sorry, guess the mood struck me to fisk this one.  Cheers!  :)

Just sounds like another grumpy have not, feeling the need to rain on someone
else's deal.

It's like Gene Simmons said: "I'll let you know when I have enough money"

The mood just struck to to write a rebuttal.  Cheers :)

mca

« Reply #54 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:07 am »
I'll tell you one thing, if I was a bazillionaire with a big house, I would have a mega-kick-ass system in every room  :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #55 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:11 am »
My clock radio would have Feastrex speakers.

TerryO

« Reply #56 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:13 am »

Can you compare to this?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/node/53

Absolutely amazing!

- Chris
Computer Audiophile | Turn Down The Silence

http://www.computeraudiophile.com

Just a reminder of what the original post in this thread stated:
"Can you compare to this?"

I merely mentioned what my take was on the information supplied and the pictures that accompanied the text. I then supplied a couple of links that cover systems that I know about and are generally highly regarded. How this constitutes a "pissing contest" is beyond me, and I have not claimed that my personal system is, in any way, worth writing about.

There are, however,  several points that I disagree with and that is when TONEPUB asks:

"How can you make comments about someone you don't know?"

Well, it seems that you don't have a problem with it, at least when it concerns me. I'm also pretty certain that we've never met. However that may be, you have interpreted what I said in a way that is far from the mark.

"Who cares if you aren't impressed with his collection?  I'm sure
he didn't buy it to impress you or me..."

Well, evidently I've raised your ire by not being as impressed as I guess you are.

If I was really nasty, I suppose I might ask the reciprocal question: Who cares if you "are" impressed with his collection?

BTW: I do consider collections and systems as entirely different entities and what pertains to one is no reflection on the other. It is, indeed, an impressive and comprehensive collection to say the least.

"Why do these things always have to turn into a pissing contest?"

Probably when someone is determined to put someone else in their place.

Finally, TONEPUB says:

"And so those of us that have good systems, but haven't built them ourselves and aren't musicians aren't worthy?

This is why this industry is in a downward spiral.  No one can keep the
elitists happy...."

I wish someone could show me exactly where I said anything of the kind. This misleading statement seemingly attributes to me thoughts or statements that I haven't made. If this is journalism, it's no wonder why this Country is in a downward spiral...  

Best Regards,
TerryO

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #57 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:15 am »
My clock radio would have Feastrex speakers.

Mine would be plugged into a couple of vintage Marshall amps.  :o    :weights:

Cheers    :guitar:

SET Man

« Reply #58 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:22 am »
I'll tell you one thing, if I was a bazillionaire with a big house, I would have a mega-kick-ass system in every room  :thumb:

Hey!

Yup, If I turn out to be a billionaire overnight I would do that too. Why not? :lol:

But still...  I will have one room with my current system in it where everything will be just like it is right now. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #59 on: 13 Dec 2007, 04:13 am »

I'm not impressed or unimpressed by the guys stuff.
Merely intrigued by someone who has amassed so much.

Take it however you'd like.